Question on seaweed

eposadas

48 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

We were at Maya Chan on August 12.  The sargassum was as bad as we have ever experienced in five visits, but we will continue to go back to Maya Chan anytime we get the opportunity.  Maya Chan did their best to clear the sargassum from sections of the beach.  We ventured into the water for a shorter period of time than in the past and we also took advantage of the "new", small pool. When we were in the water, they  brought us drinks from the bar via kayak.  The service, food and drinks were still top notch.  

@kalliyan1:  My understanding is the seaweed is a year round problem, but some weeks are much better than others.  There is no way to tell in advance.  One of the owners told me that the previous week was the best they had seen in a while, but our week returned to what they had seen most of the summer.  The problem also affects beaches in Florida.  Our local newspaper ran an article a few weeks ago on the problem and posted a lot of pictures from the past year.  Here is a link, but it might be behind a paywall:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20190802/will-our-beaches-lose-their-national-rankings-because-of-sargassum-seaweed

Just in case, here is one of the pictures from the post above of Palm Beach, home of the rich and famous.  This one was not taken in an off the beaten path location.

879720404_palmbeachsargassumJul2019.jpg.b730a317dabe7d2b4072f266711c1302.jpg

Most of the places in Cozumel such as Mr. Sanchos and Nachi Cocom are on west side of the island, so the island of Cozumel acts as a barrier for the sargassum. If the beach is critical for you, the water will normally be nicer than anywhere in Costa Maya.  We still will choose Maya Chan for the overall experience.

Thank you for your reply.  We live in Deerfield beach so we know what it's like here(very much like your photo).  We have lived her for about 2 yrs and have NEVER seen it like it's been this year.  I just wasn't sure if it is the same type of problem in Mexico as it is here.  

The beach isn't "critical" to us as we live at the beach but those two stops, from what I understand, there really isn't much else to do but beach.    I tried to book Maya Chan and unfortunately they are booked the day we arrive. I may look into Nachi Cocom

Thanks again for your reply. 

On 8/21/2019 at 1:03 PM, kalliyan1 said:

Thank you for your reply.  We live in Deerfield beach so we know what it's like here(very much like your photo).  We have lived her for about 2 yrs and have NEVER seen it like it's been this year.  I just wasn't sure if it is the same type of problem in Mexico as it is here.  

The beach isn't "critical" to us as we live at the beach but those two stops, from what I understand, there really isn't much else to do but beach.    I tried to book Maya Chan and unfortunately they are booked the day we arrive. I may look into Nachi Cocom

If you can't get in at Maya Chan, I would definitely suggest Nachi Cocom. Those are my wife and I's two favorite places in the Caribbean. I prefer Maya Chan a little over Nachi, and she's the opposite. So, you really can't go wrong with either one. They're similar in a lot of ways.

On 8/21/2019 at 7:03 PM, kalliyan1 said:

If by “those two” you mean Costa Maya and Cozumel, then Cozumel has numerous other activities, depending on your interests, but it is an island and so the “majority” of activities are water-based but certainly not exclusively. 

Costa Maya is less developed  and more limited and is basically a beach (mostly in one location) along the malecon with a few outlying individual AI beach bars,  or an excursion to ruins.

Costa Maya is in the mainland and the predominant coast  for seaweed ( like east Florida). The east coast of Cozumel is similarly affected but generally the west coast is clear.

HOWEVER, nothing is guaranteed, depending on weather systems - last year on two consecutive days we had bad seaweed at Nachi Cocom and completely clear at Costa Maya - but this is against the norm. 

I will add Costa Maya tends to be more diligent in trying to clear it, especially if it is only mild since they are expecting it. Nachi were very slow to collect it.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:47 AM, MisterOJ2 said:

If you can't get in at Maya Chan, I would definitely suggest Nachi Cocom. Those are my wife and I's two favorite places in the Caribbean. I prefer Maya Chan a little over Nachi, and she's the opposite. So, you really can't go wrong with either one. They're similar in a lot of ways.

Thanks again.  Just booked Nachi Cocom!  

23 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

If by “those two” you mean Costa Maya and Cozumel, then Cozumel has numerous other activities, depending on your interests, but it is an island and so the “majority” of activities are water-based but certainly not exclusively. 

Costa Maya is less developed  and more limited and is basically a beach (mostly in one location) along the malecon with a few outlying individual AI beach bars,  or an excursion to ruins.

Costa Maya is in the mainland and the predominant coast  for seaweed ( like east Florida). The east coast of Cozumel is similarly affected but generally the west coast is clear.

HOWEVER, nothing is guaranteed, depending on weather systems - last year on two consecutive days we had bad seaweed at Nachi Cocom and completely clear at Costa Maya - but this is against the norm. 

I will add Costa Maya tends to be more diligent in trying to clear it, especially if it is only mild since they are expecting it. Nachi were very slow to collect it.

Thanks for the info....Yes I meant Costa Maya and Cozumel for "those two"....sorry it wasn't more clear 🙂

I may look into booking Almaplena Beach resort on Costa Maya.  I'm not sure about the transportation to and from there as I've read it's farther out and the road is not great, so looking into this before we decide.  We weren't going to do a beach day at both stops but we may end up doing that.  I just booked Nachi in Cozumel so at least that's taken care of 🙂

On 8/21/2019 at 2:03 PM, kalliyan1 said:

Deerfield Beach has been clear of seaweed for weeks now... 

We were planning to go back for a month or so of independent touring.  Changed our minds.  We plan to head to the Pacific coast instead.    We were in Playa, Puerto Morales, Isla, and Cancun last October/November.  They were doing a good job clearing the beaches however our understanding is that it is much worse this year.  We will probably do a google earth a few times a day for a several days  prior to booking flights.   

On 8/29/2019 at 12:20 PM, iancal said:

We were planning to go back for a month or so of independent touring.  Changed our minds.  We plan to head to the Pacific coast instead.    We were in Playa, Puerto Morales, Isla, and Cancun last October/November.  They were doing a good job clearing the beaches however our understanding is that it is much worse this year.  We will probably do a google earth a few times a day for a several days  prior to booking flights.   

What do you mean you'll do a Google Earth a few times a day?