Anyone to share their day by day in ANTARCTICA?

rosewood jo

How did people dress onboard?  Are sneakers seen during the day? Are people dressed up for dinner?  We’re bringing our boots, so the fewer clothes and shoes would be great.  Can anyone share boat-wear suggestions?  Thanks!

2 hours ago, pjohn said:

How did people dress onboard?

Casually.

2 hours ago, pjohn said:

Are sneakers seen during the day?

Yes.

2 hours ago, pjohn said:

Are people dressed up for dinner? 

Best looking group of people I've ever seen wearing casual wear.  Some dressed up for the Captain's dinner, but virtually no one formally whatsoever.  Men wearing sport jackets was the exception, not the rule.

2 hours ago, pjohn said:

Can anyone share boat-wear suggestions?

Leave your boots at home.  The ship's boots were fantastic.  

You'll see lots of warm clothes on board.

• Beanies and neck warmers for the quick step outside while sailing.
  • All sorts of base (merino wool) and mid (fleece, sweatshirts, etc.) layers.
  • Sweaters, flannel, turtlenecks, hoodies, multi-function pants, hiking socks, etc.  
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Casually.

Yes.

Best looking group of people I've ever seen wearing casual wear.  Some dressed up for the Captain's dinner, but virtually no one formally whatsoever.  Men wearing sport jackets was the exception, not the rule.

Leave your boots at home.  The ship's boots were fantastic.  

You'll see lots of warm clothes on board.

• Beanies and neck warmers for the quick step outside while sailing.
  • All sorts of base (merino wool) and mid (fleece, sweatshirts, etc.) layers.
  • Sweaters, flannel, turtlenecks, hoodies, multi-function pants, hiking socks, etc.  

Thanks--you answered several questions I've been holding back for a while at once! We did buy boots because owning them cost about the same as renting them--we just need to get them there and back without a luggage overage cost.

• Like 2

The first time, everyone packs too much. We did much better the second time. We have been on 6 expedition cruises w SS and we have finally learned... Plus we have free laundry which also helps!

For Antarctica round two, 15 days, we fit all of our base layers and our evening clothes in two rollaboard (21") suitcases. We packed our boots, stuffed with warm socks, gloves, scarves, and a few bulkier items like fleeces and sweaters, in a duffel bag. Good to go.

Day wear on the ship for us was casual pants (for example, Eddie Bauer quick-dry stuff, some heavier, some thinner), a base layer on top (synthetic mock turtleneck or long-sleeve cotton T), and a sweater or a button-down shirt worn like a light jacket. 

To go out on excursions, I just adjusted my middle layer depending on the weather (sweater or fleece), added the parka and a pair of thick socks, and then the waterproof pants. Ready to go. Shed the extras upon your return.

You really don't need to be more dressy than that for dinner either. One reason why, is that you could see wildlife at any time so you might have to leave dinner to go see what's going on outside. It's an expedition. 

So for dinner I wore a guano-free pair of pants, and a nicer shirt,  like a button-down or polo. I did bring a sport coat because I had room, and because I wanted to impress @Stumblefoot with my fancy attire. 😉 

Chris brought two nice cocktail dresses for the captain's greeting and farewell but again, because we had room. No worries if you don't. And I will partly agree with Stumbles,

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Best looking group of people I've ever seen wearing casual wear. 

If he's talking about our wives... We guys cleaned up OK but the gals were very cute.

Going home, we had lots of extra room in the duffel bag for our new parkas. 

Keys: multipurpose items that can be used multiple times, and way easier with laundry. There is a free washer and dryer setup too. Don't overpack.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are on the Cloud in December. I am confused. We were told there will be a formal night. We really didn’t want to bring dressy clothes. Is there a formal night requiring a jacket and tie?  We can’t wait to go, but hoping to not overpack. 

There has never been a "Formal" night in any of our six expedition cruises. On Cloud they suggest a dressier outfit, if you want, for the Captain's events as I outlined above. You would not be out of place in a jacket and tie (I wore one and nobody asked me to leave) but you would be fine in something more casual. 

Again, it's an expedition cruse. Different vibe from the classic ships. Do not worry about how to dress.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kimanjo said:

Thanks!! To jpalbny & Stumblefoot for the details.  Very helpful, and reassuring that the piles I have set out for our Cloud Nov 14th sailing are right on track.

I'm beyond impressed that you've begun packing for a trip 6+ weeks in the future. If we start laying things out a week in advance, we feel we're doing well! 😉

Since our trip on the Wind seems increasingly likely to be canceled, I'm only doing packing in my head for the time being.

Been on 3 Silversea Expeditions and our next one is on Quark for the Solar eclipse.

Learned the hard way on the first.  As we purchased boots.

Ships boots are fine, odd size rent them.  We ended up donating them on our last Arctic cruise.  So they are likely on Explorer.

We go by 2's -- 2 of everything. 2 sets of casual clothes for dinner/evening.  2 sets of general for morning/noon on ship.  2 sets of warm gear.  2 layers of merino tops, plus water proof pants and wool socks.  Combining them for the day on the ship, jeans with a merino wool top is easy and gives flexibility.  Only item single is the hat and neck gator.  Brought goggles on first trip never used them.

Camera -- believe in twos here too.  We had a camera body fail on our first Antarctica trip. Backup came in handy.  Also a spare battery charger.  Mine did not fail, but I did loan my spare to someone whose did fail.  Dry bag is a must on this trip.

Leave room in luggage for your parka.

Only one caveat.  The charter flight at least in Argentina, they were picky on carry on weight.  Stuck to the 8Kg limit.

Edited by PaulMCO

3 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I'm beyond impressed that you've begun packing for a trip 6+ weeks in the future. If we start laying things out a week in advance, we feel we're doing well! 😉

Since our trip on the Wind seems increasingly likely to be canceled, I'm only doing packing in my head for the time being.

I sound organized!  I have to put things out on a spare bed, and add and remove, add and remove, in order to get it as right as possible, and not to forget things.  Plus, we are in the process of getting ready to sell everything, main house, last rental property, everything but a suitcase full of worldly possessions. DH and I are going full nomad, hopefully sometime in January, so a LOT going on. As, I have been emptying closets and just picking out the most versatile of clothing pieces.  

46 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

Plus, we are in the process of getting ready to sell everything, main house, last rental property, everything but a suitcase full of worldly possessions. DH and I are going full nomad, hopefully sometime in January

Wow!! Now that sounds like an incredible adventure. No home? Just traveling all the time? I can't imagine selling everything and having nothing more than a suitcase or two of possessions. Best of luck executing your plan!

Ha!  Full nomad for us is one suitcase, and a backpack.  I've had to look at every article of clothing and ask, can this do double/triple duty. Selling everything.  Starting with South America, then on to Europe, then Asia, then back to favorite places/cities.  One month per city.  Transiting thru the US and stopping in to see DD or DS, and then off to the new place.  Going to be an adventure for sure. The "kids" call it digital nomad.  We're just traveling, no more working.

I'm actually not in S Florida anymore.  In a  mid-south city. 

All of this of course dependent on who is open.  A lot of places are in actual fact.  With more and more opening monthly.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

Full nomad for us is one suitcase, and a backpack.  

Woah!  I am officially impressed.  That rarely ever happens.  Kudos!  You two are serious nomads.  Hope that our paths cross someday on a SS voyage so that we can hear all about your adventures.  Best wishes to you both!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on dinner attire. We love dressing up for dinner and I was trying to figure out how to

get all those clothes and shoes in one suitcase and a carry on!

It sounds like I could get away with one cocktail dress and then pants with nice tops for other nights. 

We are booked on Jan 5th 2023 on the Wind.