Wine Package Use Question

santellavision

1st time cruising. We purchased the 6 bottle Sommelier Wine package on our Holland America cruise. They offer two options for delivery of the wine. 1) Deliver to Room or 2) Deliver to Dining Room. 

My question is this. It does not say if there is any Additional Corkage fees. So, do they charge an additional fee for EITHER the bottles delivered to room that you bring to dinner Or, the bottles that were delivered to the dining room and held for you for dinner? I've read about some stickers that are put on bottles for "Corkage Fee paid", is that what they do so you don't have to pay additional if you have them deliver to your room?

Thanks in advance 

No corkage fee on any bottles bought from the ship whether in a package or not. Stickers are put on bottles that passengers bring on board and pay a corkage for. They are not needed for bottles delivered to the room because they have a record that you purchased them from HAL.

Edited by catl331

11 minutes ago, santellavision said:

1st time cruising. We purchased the 6 bottle Sommelier Wine package on our Holland America cruise. They offer two options for delivery of the wine. 1) Deliver to Room or 2) Deliver to Dining Room. 

My question is this. It does not say if there is any Additional Corkage fees. So, do they charge an additional fee for EITHER the bottles delivered to room that you bring to dinner Or, the bottles that were delivered to the dining room and held for you for dinner? I've read about some stickers that are put on bottles for "Corkage Fee paid", is that what they do so you don't have to pay additional if you have them deliver to your room?

Thanks in advance 

The actual bottles of wine won't be delivered to your stateroom.  If I remember correctly, you will get a card in your room saying that you have purchased the wine package.  When you go to dinner at any venue on the ship  you will be able to access the wine.  Just tell the waiter you have the package and he will give you the wine list to choose from.  I don't think you need to show proof of purchase - the purchase will be linked to your cruise card.  If you don't finish a bottle at one meal, the staff will keep the bottle for you and you can have it another night, in a different venue if desired.  Or take it back to your room to finish.

There are no extra fees like corkage or gratuity to be paid - it's all part of the price you pay for the package.

2 minutes ago, santellavision said:

So, I can have the 6 bottle Sommelier package delivered to my ROOM and then its OK to bring a bottle to the dining room for dinner? That is allowed?

Yes, that is allowed, you can drink in the dining room  and if you have left over they store it for you or you can take the rest to your room or to other venues..

3 minutes ago, santellavision said:

So, I can have the 6 bottle Sommelier package delivered to my ROOM and then its OK to bring a bottle to the dining room for dinner? That is allowed?

No need for you to do that.  Just let them keep the bottles in the Dining Room for you and they will bring you your selection every night.  They will also keep any unfinished bottle and you can have it the next night (or you can bring it with you to finish somewhere else, a bar or your cabin,...it's up to you)

6 minutes ago, santellavision said:

We would prefer to have the bottles in our room, so we can have a little pre-dinner wine if we want, then take the rest to dinner.

Thank you all for your comments. 

Then choose a bottle the first night and ask the wine steward to deliver the other five to your room.  They are your bottles to do with as you wish.

Edited by taxmantoo

1 hour ago, taxmantoo said:

Then choose a bottle the first night and ask the wine steward to deliver the other five to your room.  They are your bottles to do with as you wish.

This is a good idea if you need/want the bottles in your room. The reason is that you have to choose which bottles you want from their CURRENT list. They don't always have the bottles in stock that are on the list for each package.  Also, I've heard they may be totally changing the package choices (although no one has mentioned any specific bottle changes on this HAL forum yet, as far as I've heard/seen).