Eurodam vrs Oosterdamvrs Ruby Princess

texasskier

1 hour ago, texasskier said:

All three ships have 5 star ratings on c c. Similar costs and all depart from Seattle.  This would be a multigenerational  family cruise with passengers from one to 72 years of age..  Advice appreciated.

You don't mention how many children or youths you have. Obviously a one-year-old is not taking part in kids' programs! Departing from Seattle can I guess you are talking about an Alaskan cruise? then the ports are the important part! Both HAL and Princess have been 'doing' Alaska a long time and do a great job.

I personally would favor the Oosterdam. We sailed on her sister ship Zuiderdam and loved it; we're booked on the Oosterdam next March. We are also booked on a same-class ship as the Ruby (Golden Princess), but it was a matter of not having to fly five people to an embarkation port! Withholding judgment on the ship and the line.

Have sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam sister to Eurodam and while a fine ship, and only the same physical length as the O'dam, enough more people to feel too much for Alaska.

7 hours ago, crystalspin said:

You don't mention how many children or youths you have. Obviously a one-year-old is not taking part in kids' programs! Departing from Seattle can I guess you are talking about an Alaskan cruise? then the ports are the important part! Both HAL and Princess have been 'doing' Alaska a long time and do a great job.

I personally would favor the Oosterdam. We sailed on her sister ship Zuiderdam and loved it; we're booked on the Oosterdam next March. We are also booked on a same-class ship as the Ruby (Golden Princess), but it was a matter of not having to fly five people to an embarkation port! Withholding judgment on the ship and the line.

Have sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam sister to Eurodam and while a fine ship, and only the same physical length as the O'dam, enough more people to feel too much for Alaska.

Another vote for Oosterdam. I love this class of ship. 

I also agree about the ports. Alaska cruises tend to be port intensive, so the itinerary is more important than the ship. If you haven't been to Alaska before, do some research on the ports, especially the glacier-viewing days. You can look at port info and possible tours on the HAL website. Or read some of the threads on the port-of-call board.