Land package with Alaska Cruise

We are booked on an Alaska cruise for June 2020 on Radiance.  We have never done a 'land package' add on but with Alaska, it was a must for us....if we are going, we are doing it.  I never asked how meals work and evening activities on the land package.  Are they included? 

Share with me, the experiences that you have had on an Alaska cruise....love to hear about it!

We booked a land tour as well for Aug 2020.  From what I have read in some posts that meals are on your own and to pick up snacks to bring on bus etc.  I believe they serve food on train but I have not seen where meals are included.  I would be interested as well.  I see in my brochure where they give the names of the hotels but no mention of a meal being included. Hope I helped

We just completed a 6 night pre-cruise tour and are currently cruising. Hotels, transportation, and the excursions shown on the tour description are included. Meals are not included. The meals on the train are also not included. There are optional tours that you can book during any free time, but they are an extra cost. There is not any organized evening activities.

We very much enjoyed our cruise tour. The days were very busy, so everyone seemed to be pretty tired by the evening. We did find the food to be quite expensive wherever we went. Alaska is a beautiful state. The scenery and wildlife are amazing. I feel the cruise tour really added to our Alaska experience and would really recommend doing one if you have the time. 

What IR657 said above was our experience a few years ago also.

We did cruise only 9 years ago and it was a great experience.  When we went back to Alaska in 2015 we added the land portion and this is the trip we still look back at as the best we have ever taken. The hotels they put you in are wonderful and the scenery along the way is just breathtaking.

You may also want to plan your own land package. It requires more work, but is significantly cheaper than through the cruise line. Another option is to rent an RV and drive around as you please. It's somewhere around $1000/week if you book early. 

• Like 1

I arranged my own land tour pre cruise in Alaska last year.  For the four of us it saved us big $$$ - and we had the freedom to stop when we wanted.  Driving in Alaska was about the easiest driving i have ever done.  

One of the big part of the saving was booking in cheaper hotels which were all fine.  We found log cabins for two of our lodgings.  They were a delight to stay in.  

Alaska is so beautiful, I am sure that it is hard to go wrong.  

15 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I arranged my own land tour pre cruise in Alaska last year.  For the four of us it saved us big $$$ - and we had the freedom to stop when we wanted.  Driving in Alaska was about the easiest driving i have ever done.  

One of the big part of the saving was booking in cheaper hotels which were all fine.  We found log cabins for two of our lodgings.  They were a delight to stay in.  

Alaska is so beautiful, I am sure that it is hard to go wrong.  

Totally agree, and is what we do as well.   It is actually fun to research and plan out our own land tour.  Super easy to rent a car and go where you want.  Not a fan of the "forced march" group tours...but some really like it.  We enjoy going where we want, when we want.  It's not a foreign country for us, and even have local cell phone use.  😉 

Edited by island lady