Kavminvodyavia Airlines??

msmayor

Was checking on Seat Guru tonight as I am preparing to make seat selections for our flights in October from PHL --> YYZ --> YVR and our Air Canada flight from PHL to YYZ on Seat Guru indicates a code share with Kavminvodyavia Airlines.  Wikipedia tells me this airline is no longer flying, and hasn't flown for a number of years.  Why would it show up as a code share if this is true?

Because "Sky Regional Express" (a feeder airline under Air Canada Express operating the PHL-YYZ flights) currently has the IATA airline code "KV", which was previously held by Kavminvodyavia until 2011.

Funnily, SRE started operating in May 2011, and Kavminvodyavia didn't cease operations until October 2011, so for these months SRE may have held another IATA code, or simply used Air Canada's "AC".

In other words, SeatGuru hasn't updated (all of) their IATA airline codes for at least eight years.

Wow...I've been an aviation geek my entire life and flown on some pretty obscure airlines. I have never, ever heard of Kavminvodyavia Airlines, even when they were in business. Learn something new every day!

1 hour ago, mikkelhansen said:

In other words, SeatGuru hasn't updated (all of) their IATA airline codes for at least eight years.

SeatGuru gets a better reputation than they really should. The website is riddled with outdated information, and this just goes to show it. Can't bother to update your IATA codes for an airline that went out of business in 2011? Wow...

Thanks for the insight.

I initially went there to check on seats for the second-leg of the outbound, from YYV-YZR.  There is a group of seats toward the front that Air Canada charges a significant price for seat selection based on 'more leg room' than the standard.  The price for the 'standard' seat is around $25-30 and these run $60-65 each.  Since that is the longer of the two legs (and we got a great deal on the airfare) I thought we'd splurge on the more leg room but Seat Guru isn't showing how much more room there is.  

That got me to checking the first leg and I saw the odd airline code share.

Don't speak too ill about SeatGuru.  They are owned by the same company that owns Cruise Critic.  🙂

All part of TripAdvisor, which has a wide range of websites.

The subsidiaries and affiliates of TripAdvisor, Inc. own and operate a portfolio of websites and businesses, including the following travel media brands: www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bokun.io, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com,www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com, and www.restorando.com), www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.housetrip.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com and www.viator.com.