advice for flight seeing tour Misty Fjords or Combo w/glacier?

cruise kitty

Hi all,   I'm in the process of booking a flight seeing tour with Island Wings for our Ketchikan day next May.   Trying to decide between the Misty Fijords tour ($250 each)  or the combo with the Glacier ($385 each!)  Would love any opinions from those who have done these tours...  we've never spent that amount of money on a tour & I'm trying to decide if adding the Glacier portion is really worth an extra $270... or if the Misty Fjords alone are spectacular enough without adding on the Glacier

Thanks in advance!

I have not done the Combo tour, but have done the flightseeing tour when we landed in a lake in Misty Fjord.  It was an experience that I will never forget and I rate it as my #1 shore excursion that I have ever had.

Expensive?  Yes!  And, I debated if it would be worth the money.  Most surely was!

26 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have not done the Combo tour, but have done the flightseeing tour when we landed in a lake in Misty Fjord.  It was an experience that I will never forget and I rate it as my #1 shore excursion that I have ever had.

Expensive?  Yes!  And, I debated if it would be worth the money.  Most surely was!

thank you!   hearing this makes me even more excitied.

We tried like crazy to get the combo tour but it required 6 people and some of the others booked on our flight had a 2:30 departure on a different ship. We were also warned that weather might play a bigger role in the cancellation of that portion of the flight. We did end up doing the Misty Fjords with lake landing on "Manzoni Lake". It is a gorgeous lake with cliffs surrounding parts of it that are very dramatic in appearance. It's a long dogleg shaped lake that feeds from its west end two other lakes, dropping about 400' in doing so. The scenery on the flight is filled with beautiful waterfalls and alpine lakes all around. I believe that it is Soule Glacier that Michelle does the flyover and if you can work it in, I would think the view could be outstanding.

manzoni lake topo.jpg

DSC_5175.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, masterdrago said:

We tried like crazy to get the combo tour but it required 6 people and some of the others booked on our flight had a 2:30 departure on a different ship. We were also warned that weather might play a bigger role in the cancellation of that portion of the flight. We did end up doing the Misty Fjords with lake landing on "Manzoni Lake". It is a gorgeous lake with cliffs surrounding parts of it that are very dramatic in appearance. It's a long dogleg shaped lake that feeds from its west end two other lakes, dropping about 400' in doing so. The scenery on the flight is filled with beautiful waterfalls and alpine lakes all around. I believe that it is Soule Glacier that Michelle does the flyover and if you can work it in, I would think the view could be outstanding.

manzoni lake topo.jpg

DSC_5175.jpg

Thank you!  Gorgeous photo!

We just did the Misty Fjords flightseeing tour with Michelle last week and agree it was worth the price.  We also did a helicopter glacier landing tour with Coastal Helicopters in Juneau. As wonderful as the Misty Fjords tour was, the glacier landing was even better.

They are expensive tours, but I suggest you try to figure out a way to budget both tours.  I'm normally the kind of person who would second guess whether it was worth the money, but I have no regret at all that we invested in these excursions. 

2 hours ago, przyk said:

We just did the Misty Fjords flightseeing tour with Michelle last week and agree it was worth the price.  We also did a helicopter glacier landing tour with Coastal Helicopters in Juneau. As wonderful as the Misty Fjords tour was, the glacier landing was even better.

They are expensive tours, but I suggest you try to figure out a way to budget both tours.  I'm normally the kind of person who would second guess whether it was worth the money, but I have no regret at all that we invested in these excursions. 

thanks for your answer,  I have a feeling we're going to end up doing the combo :)

12 hours ago, przyk said:

Totally agree. We were a bit apprehensive about booking the Denali flight trip around the mountain including glacier landing due to the cost. It was the highlight of our 16 days in Alaska. By a fortunate chance, we were able to do the landing at their base camp since they were dropping off and picking up skiers and campers. You might only get one chance at this.

• Like 1