Atlantic storm Dorian

PelicanBill

3 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

BREAKING NEWS ! Lol

They've just told us on NCL Sun we will going to Cozumel Mexico tomorrow instead of our scheduled Nassau! Followed by a Sea Day. 

The way I see it... good news they're playing it safe.

Good news!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

BREAKING NEWS ! Lol

They've just told us on NCL Sun we will going to Cozumel Mexico tomorrow instead of our scheduled Nassau! Followed by a Sea Day. 

We are on the Sky Saturday.  Hope they send us to Cozumel as well.

Here is an excellent graphic posted to reddit by user Nmckendree.  It shows all the NOAA/NHC forecasts and what path Dorian actually took, and continuing on the latest, as highlighted. Dorian has marched all these forecasts off to the east and north.  Forecasters are favoring the blocking high pressure as compared to the short history we have here. What will win out?

image.thumb.png.f986493bce267ad3e5552cf5646b4b13.png

1 minute ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

Should hotels near Port Everglades be safe during the storm? If those hotels are likely to be evacuated, which area should I be looking to move to?

Can you be more specific?  that area is at the bottom of the potential area of effect now, which is good, and makes it likely you would not be in an evacuation zone.  But I can look and tell you what the flood and wind resistance look like if I know where.

13 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

BREAKING NEWS ! Lol

Have fun! Get vanilla and sterling silver. Maybe a hammock!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PelicanBill said:

Can you be more specific?  that area is at the bottom of the potential area of effect now, which is good, and makes it likely you would not be in an evacuation zone.  But I can look and tell you what the flood and wind resistance look like if I know where.

Yes, I’m currently booked Saturday at the Hampton Fort Lauderdale cruise port. It’s looking like I’m going to have to stay in Ft. Lauderdale during the storm so I’m not sure if I should extend my stay at that hotel or move somewhere else in Ft. Lauderdale that is less likely to be affected. 

3 minutes ago, pjs9876 said:

Have fun! Get vanilla and sterling silver. Maybe a hammock!

Have chips and guacamole and enchiladas and a lot of margaritas and buy everything!  That's what I will be doing in Cozumel 7 weeks from tomorrow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Canceling yourself is going to cost you! Let it play out.  Do you have trip insurance?  if not, and If you get to Miami, can you afford to stay a couple of nights waiting for the ship?  It's just too hard to read impact to Miami quite yet.

We don't have trip insurance so we are just going to stand pat and see how this unfolds.  We are flying American and their latest notice was letting people flying on Sept 2 and 3 change with no charge to florida airports.  If we get on the plane and the boat won't be in port we'll just wait it out in Miami.  I'll enjoy beverages on land in Miami while waiting!! lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, erdoran said:

So my burning question still is whether I’ll know by 11 am Sunday if my 2 pm flight is canceled...I don’t want to leave wdw and be stuck at the airport with a last second cancellation 

It's possible, but I've been seated on a plane and had the flight cancelled.  There are no guarantees.  None.

3 minutes ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

Yes, I’m currently booked Saturday at the Hampton Fort Lauderdale cruise port. It’s looking like I’m going to have to stay in Ft. Lauderdale during the storm so I’m not sure if I should extend my stay at that hotel or move somewhere else in Ft. Lauderdale that is less likely to be affected. 

Good grief there are two Hamptons with Port in their name.  Both are far enough inland from serious storm surge, although the south one could get flooding from  the nearby canals.  You'd want to be on the second floor for that reason.  Otherwise, I would take either one for a place to ride out the storm unless  evacuations were ordered.  have food and water of your own, and a flashlight with extra batteries.

1 minute ago, Raiderguy8 said:

Big changes to Carnival's update site:  https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6292

Today's Sunshine trip out of Charleston is going to Key West.  They are still evaluating the trip on the 2nd.  Why would they send it to Key West where the return might be right in the thick of it?

Unless they think they will be out of Key West in time to get north of it by Monday.

2 minutes ago, Raiderguy8 said:

Big changes to Carnival's update site:  https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6292

Today's Sunshine trip out of Charleston is going to Key West.  They are still evaluating the trip on the 2nd.  Why would they send it to Key West where the return might be right in the thick of it?

Because there's enough worry the storm could go north and they are looking for a port with berthing room.  I wonder if they've applied for, and received a waiver for the Jones/PSA penalty?

Royal Caribbean has also posted their 1pm update but not a lot new there.

23 minutes ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

Should hotels near Port Everglades be safe during the storm? If those hotels are likely to be evacuated, which area should I be looking to move to?

In Fort Lauderdale last storm, they called a mandatory evacuation for all properties east of Rt. 1 (Federal Highway).  This I understand is routine.  Check your hotel's address and see if it is east of Rt. 1. 

Currently there has been no evacuation calls.  I guess they are still watching to see what the Dorian does.  (I live in Ft. Lauderdale beachfront)

2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Quick key messages for 11 am update.

These are the FORECAST features. We are still 3-4 days out. Lots can happen. Remember this storm shifted east by 200 miles in two days.

1. OUCH.  130mph at landfall, just short of category FOUR.

2. Landfall between Port. St. Lucie and Melbourne, that keeps Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach in focus.  I am going to start reporting although models have still been diverging so it is also possible it goes further south.

3. Landfall Monday morning.

4. Northern Bahamas in danger - Freeport area.

#2--Never forget Charley.

I don't usually worry much about storms.  This one has me more concerned than I've been since Katrina.

Those that have been though this before, was wondering if this will cause a noticeable drop in ship population?  We are on the Mariner on 8/30 out of PC, we are headed with a slight change to itinerary, but we are suppose to return on Monday right as the storm comes in.

23 minutes ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

FYI--Under Florida law they can't boot you out of a hotel once you've checked in unless you have been there over 30 days or you stop paying for the room.

Based on the newest info, what are the chances of the Breakaway arriving and leaving on time on Sunday, if at all? The wife and I will be on our already delayed honeymoon, flying in from Baltimore to Ft Lauderdale on Saturday afternoon. Of course we didn't purchase the insurance... ugh. Let's just say I haven't been getting much work done around the office the past 2 days...

4 minutes ago, Cammy8 said:

In Fort Lauderdale last storm, they called a mandatory evacuation for all properties east of Rt. 1 (Federal Highway).  This I understand is routine.  Check your hotel's address and see if it is east of Rt. 1. 

Currently there has been no evacuation calls.  I guess they are still watching to see what the Dorian does.  (I live in Ft. Lauderdale beachfront)

Good info. Both Hamptons are west of US 1.

14 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Good grief there are two Hamptons with Port in their name.  Both are far enough inland from serious storm surge, although the south one could get flooding from  the nearby canals.  You'd want to be on the second floor for that reason.  Otherwise, I would take either one for a place to ride out the storm unless  evacuations were ordered.  have food and water of your own, and a flashlight with extra batteries.

I’m very sorry. I didn’t mean to include insufficient information. I’m at the Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port. I appreciate the help you’ve provided. I will extend my stay at that hotel.

10 minutes ago, Cammy8 said:

8 minutes ago, ducklite said:

FYI--Under Florida law they can't boot you out of a hotel once you've checked in unless you have been there over 30 days or you stop paying for the room.

Thank you both. I’m feeling rather stupid now so I’m done asking questions. I appreciate the help.

Good luck everyone.

1 hour ago, DKLI said:

Not sure if this helps anyone, but we just stayed at the Hyatt Regency right in MCO.  It's a beautiful hotel, with a pool on the roof and a gym.  You can come and go throughout the airport to shops, restaurants.  We loved it.  Not expensive at all and I believe they offer 24 hour cancellation.  And if you have a car, lots of things to do near by while you're waiting to figure it all out.  Prayers for all fellow cruisers coming and going, and for the Florida residents as well.

Karen

Sold out! I tried!

25 minutes ago, ducklite said:

If you are in a red flood zone near tidal surge they will evacuate that hotel and move people out, sometimes even using school buses to take you to shelters at schools and make you leave your vehicles there to flood. I saw this happen with in fort Myers on the river two years ago.