Hanging Shoe Organizer Allowed on Viking?

-Lew-

Having not cruised on Viking Ocean, I wonder whether the hanging shoe organizer we use when cruising Princess will be allowed.  We hang it on the inside of the bathroom door for extra storage capacity.

The thoughts of experienced Viking Ocean cruisers will be appreciated...

1745099288_OverTheDoor.jpg.62e1f98addcb4ddda4c89745dc92bf57.jpg

Should be allowed. Whether it will work or not is a different issue.

There are towel hooks on the inside of the bathroom door but the outside is unadorned.

There are two drawers in the bathroom (one on each side of the sink). There is open shelf space on the far side of the sink under the drawer. There are small shelves on either side of the sink.

image.png.6385ed16ca46e1db01085f4848486e0d.png

Three drawers in the hallway by the bathroom (DV and V configuration shown). There are two shelves above the coffee maker space --and your steward can remove the coffee maker etc. if you want that space as well:

image.png.fd3cd99d0acfb996c162c429a7526472.png

Closet has 5 ft of hanging space (configuration for Star, Sea and Sky; newer ships have a different closet configuration with additional drawers in the closet) and a full shelf above the handing bar.

image.png.45de027d9fb566fff0be9c0d08be4f59.png

The are nightstands on each side of the bed with a shelf and one drawer  (and 2 USB outlets, a 110v outlet and a 220v outlet):

image.png.5ce6b921edbba490803236faa76d8927.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if the organizer is allowed. However, I can tell you that the storage in the bathrooms on Viking is probably the most I have seen on any cruise line.

Besides the standard shelves on the wall on either side of the sink, there are also two drawers for storage.  There is also a bench in the shower.

• Like 1

I’m guessing it’s allowed but based on rooms I have been in (DVs & PVs) the only door it could logically hang on would be the outside of the bathroom door. That might be an awkward place. We have had no lack of space to store shoes. I like the nightstand shelf for several pairs. The closet floor and closet top shelf could also be used & for shoes worn infrequently, there is always right under the bed. I have learned to travel light & only bring 4 pairs (My New Balance walking shoes I wear on the plane & pack 3.) plus flip flops. My husband takes 2 pair & flips. 

14 minutes ago, SrCruizer said:

I’m guessing it’s allowed but based on rooms I have been in (DVs & PVs) the only door it could logically hang on would be the outside of the bathroom door. That might be an awkward place. We have had no lack of space to store shoes. I like the nightstand shelf for several pairs. The closet floor and closet top shelf could also be used & for shoes worn infrequently, there is always right under the bed. I have learned to travel light & only bring 4 pairs (My New Balance walking shoes I wear on the plane & pack 3.) plus flip flops. My husband takes 2 pair & flips. 

People on other cruise lines don't use those for shoes.  They use them to store miscellaneous items, like sun glasses, sun screen, other lotions and cosmetics.  I know from reading other cruise boards. not from personal experience.  I've never felt the need for one, and Viking cabins have so much storage, I can't see any reason to bring one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Having not cruised on Viking Ocean, I wonder whether the hanging shoe organizer we use when cruising Princess will be allowed.  We hang it on the inside of the bathroom door for extra storage capacity.

I don't honestly know where you would hang it and close the bathroom door (there are also hooks on the bathroom side of the door), but I don't think Viking would have any issue with it.

There is so much storage in a Viking cabin - even the basic Veranda - that I can't imagine a need for it.  As @Peregrina651 has so nicely illustrated, there are lots of drawers and shelves.  I found the ones in the bathroom more than adequate.  If you are in a PV and above - you could store things for a month's voyage easily.  I could have rented out space 😄

If you still feel you need it, might want to bring something that could be hung on a hanger in the closet.  Lots of room in there.

Thank you all for your very informative responses.  I should have mentioned we would be storing bathroom items in the various pockets.

I have cut two openings in the organizer we use on Princess to clear the hooks on the inside of the door.  These allow the organizer to hang flat against the door...looks like the hooks are in the same place on Viking's bathroom door.

With all the storage in the typical Viking bathroom we may consider leaving it at home...

5 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Thank you all for your very informative responses.  I should have mentioned we would be storing bathroom items in the various pockets.

I have cut two openings in the organizer we use on Princess to clear the hooks on the inside of the door.  These allow the organizer to hang flat against the door...looks like the hooks are in the same place on Viking's bathroom door.

With all the storage in the typical Viking bathroom we may consider leaving it at home...

That might work, but I'm thinking you probably won't need it.  Those drawers are wonderful.  My husband had enough room on the shelves on his side, that he didn't even need the drawer. so I spread out 😄  They give you shampoo, cream rinse, shower gel, bar soap and body wash.  I moved those to the shelf in the shower.  It's not one of those little wire shelves, it's the full width of the shower at the back.  Not big enough to sit on, but plenty of room for all the necessities!

I did bring those collapsible boxes you can get in the dollar store.  I found them handy for the shelves by the coffee machine and on top of the closet rack.  I just put everything in them, and I didn't have to worry about losing anything in the back.  They weigh next to nothing and I just put them in the bottom of the suitcase.

There is also a lift up mirror in the desk that has some storage as well.  I used that for my hair stuff - spray, gel, pins, clips, etc.

The night stand drawers are also roomy.  There are plenty of USB ports.  The lamp on the desk has 5, I think, and a decent amount of plugs.

Enjoy your cruise!  Viking is fantastic!

I don't think you will need it for storage--even in the DV cabins there is ample storage.

I am a hair/skin product junkie and I found the bathroom storage more than adequate.

But I don't bring any full-size product. I use small nalgene containers from The Container Store and contact lens cases. I fit all my hair and skin products in quart ziplocks. By junkie--I mean I have at least 6-8 hair products and probably 10 skin products. I have a stock of travel size everything--sunscreen, shave cream for DH, toothpaste, mini deodorant, etc.

I would never bring anything as bulky as that shoe holder in my luggage--you really will not need it.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 7:35 AM, -Lew- said:

I too have one with maybe 12 compartments, haven’t used it on Viking but have on other lines,  I love the space for sunglasses, face creams, sunscreen, anything that would clutter space and everything is so easy to see.  Mine is very light weight folds pretty flat and has clips to make it an over the door hanger.  

I have used a shoe organizer but cut off a couple of pockets. Did not need all,take a skirt click hanger to hold it on the closet rod for needed and maybe not needed items I just bought magnet hooks that will hold at least 4 lbs and can put on a wall as they are magnetic so will see how that works will be a first.  Thinking my jewelry fold up container or just a hook for clothes or whatever 

I guess I am an anomaly, but I also prefer no clutter and having a shoe bag hanging on a door with all the 'stuff' visible would visually stress me out. I like everything tucked away in drawers. We bring lots of toiletries and stuff and found absolutely no issue keeping everything stored out of sight and off counters on Viking. 

The bathroom storage was fantastic---much better than most hotels. Closets and drawers were ample, plus the flip up vanity mirror drawer held things like binoculars, cosmetics, etc.

• Like 3