Wine List?

jms

Does anyone have a copy of Viking's Wine List? Or do they just serve different wines for purchase every night?

This is our first Viking Ocean and we do understand that wine is included with lunch or dinner - but are wondering if that wine is their house wine.

We often like to splurge on a nice bottle of fine wine.

Thanks for your help!

Wine at lunch and dinner is a house wine but sometimes it does change during the cruise. Many more options if you purchase by the glass/bottle or have the SSpackage.

The 'free' wine at lunch and dinner will be a choice of red or white, and it changes frequently.  We had some and they were okay--but much better to have the SSBP and have a larger choice so you can choose something that complements your food. 

If you have the beverage package you will have a much larger selection of wine by the glass that you can have at any time (even room service delivery). Additionally, with the beverage package you get 15% off the wines by the bottle.

An example--Louis Roederer Cristal is $175/bottle less 15%, or less than $150/bottle for a champagne that is $200+ at our local Costco. 

We found the premium wine by the glass too be a decent selection. Last cruise had a wine steward in most venues who could assist you and was knowledgable and eager to recommend selections.

If you like really fine wine you may be better off bringing some of your own or buying in port.

Do a search of this thread for 'wine' and you will probably see some photos of wine lists. It really depends on what you call fine wine--it is not what you would expect at a Michelen star restaurant but it was certainly good.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question a few weeks ago. We got our docs today for a November West Indies and next June we are traveling with neighbors from Venice to Rome on the same ship!  Husband does like fine wines, but I can rarely have more than 1 before falling asleep - so I think we'll probably bring some onboard wherever we can and buy a day at a time. Often this works best for us. Thanks again!! and Happy Sailing!

On 9/21/2019 at 3:05 PM, jms said:

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question a few weeks ago. We got our docs today for a November West Indies and next June we are traveling with neighbors from Venice to Rome on the same ship!  Husband does like fine wines, but I can rarely have more than 1 before falling asleep - so I think we'll probably bring some onboard wherever we can and buy a day at a time. Often this works best for us. Thanks again!! and Happy Sailing!

Bingo! Venice to Rome - Your hubby will have a field day! Fantastic wines and the prices are excellent~ easy to buy several and carry on board! We are headed to Southeast Asia, and from what I have been told the wine prices in Hong Kong  are outrageous,  hence the purchase of the SS package, also I don't want to spend the time trying to find a good wine shop on this trip. When you are in Italy it is a different story...passing wine shops and browsing is part of the adventure!.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 5:35 PM, broker1217 said:

The 'free' wine at lunch and dinner will be a choice of red or white, and it changes frequently.  We had some and they were okay--but much better to have the SSBP and have a larger choice so you can choose something that complements your food. 

If you have the beverage package you will have a much larger selection of wine by the glass that you can have at any time (even room service delivery). Additionally, with the beverage package you get 15% off the wines by the bottle.

An example--Louis Roederer Cristal is $175/bottle less 15%, or less than $150/bottle for a champagne that is $200+ at our local Costco. 

We found the premium wine by the glass too be a decent selection. Last cruise had a wine steward in most venues who could assist you and was knowledgable and eager to recommend selections.

If you like really fine wine you may be better off bringing some of your own or buying in port.

Do a search of this thread for 'wine' and you will probably see some photos of wine lists. It really depends on what you call fine wine--it is not what you would expect at a Michelen star restaurant but it was certainly good.

Thank you for mentioning the wine steward.  I was hoping there would be someone who could assist since I'm not very knowledgeable about wines.  We mostly drink sweet, but did have an occasion to have a wine pairing with dinner and the dry really did enhance the meal without having the "dry" effect that I don't enjoy just to drink on the balcony.  I live in an area with a lot of wineries, many who do sweet wines with local produce (apple, peach) in addition to sweeter grapes (catawba, niagara, concord).  We've usually taken a bottle each with us since we could drive to the port, but we will fly for this cruise and rely on what they have on the ship.  Our cruise is Southern Caribbean, so I don't expect to buy wine in ports (maybe alcohol though).