Power adapters for Dawn

Smong

We are going on the dawn in November and i have seen on YouTube that some rooms only have European outlets. Has anyone been on the dawn recently that can confirm that? If so can someone please let me know what kind of adapter i will need 

thanks

All cabins on the DAWN have at least 1 USA 110 volt outlet in the cabin and one low wattage outlet in the

bathroom exclusively for shavers (and recharging batteries user electronics) NO hair dryers or irons etc.

Bring along a three prong adapter or NON-SURGE power strip to plug in multiple items * photo image below

In some cabins behind the in-cabin TV you may find another useable outlet.

Beware new NCL policy about unplugging or disabling power devices while you are not in your cabin.

Overnight charging should be adequate for most user electronics.

Copy of DSC04126 - 400.jpg

5 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

All cabins on the DAWN have at least 1 USA 110 volt outlet in the cabin and one low wattage outlet in the

bathroom exclusively for shavers (and recharging batteries user electronics) NO hair dryers or irons etc.

Bring along a three prong adapter or NON-SURGE power strip to plug in multiple items * photo image below

In some cabins behind the in-cabin TV you may find another useable outlet.

Beware new NCL policy about unplugging or disabling power devices while you are not in your cabin.

Overnight charging should be adequate for most user electronics.

Copy of DSC04126 - 400.jpg

Thank you for the info. I have been looking on line and there seems to be an option between 220-110  or just a regular adapter. Do you know which i will need? We are in an owners suite so I’m hoping there will be more than 1 outlet but want to grab an adapter just to be safe

24 minutes ago, MAMA "B" said:

Are you saying the Dawn does not have hair dryers in the cabins?

There are hair dryers in each cabin on the DAWN -

you may not find them in the bathroom (where expected)

but this is an area of critical safety with electrics.

You will find your hair dryer perhaps in a drawer below a

vanity mirror (writing desk or something like that) in the

main cabin area - ask your cabin attendant where ?

28 minutes ago, Smong said:

Thank you for the info. I have been looking on line and there seems to be an option between 220-110  or just a regular adapter. Do you know which i will need? We are in an owners suite so I’m hoping there will be more than 1 outlet but want to grab an adapter just to be safe

If you are in one of the OS or DOS you will find more than one outlet in the cabin.

You will not need that 110-220 converter plug.

Some outlets are recessed and need an extender like the black one in my photo image to get the plug enough

space to fit in the 3 prong adapter - but a short extension cord will suffice too.

Relax in the OS DOS NCL has you well converted to use your electrical devices

6 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

If you are in one of the OS or DOS you will find more than one outlet in the cabin.

You will not need that 110-220 converter plug.

Some outlets are recessed and need an extender like the black one in my photo image to get the plug enough

space to fit in the 3 prong adapter - but a short extension cord will suffice too.

Relax in the OS DOS NCL has you well converted to use your electrical devices

Thank you for the info. Are you saying being in the os they will provide converters?

3 minutes ago, Smong said:

Thank you for the info. Are you saying being in the os they will provide converters?

No - ONLY that there will sufficient outlets !

What OS are you in ?

Deck 9 or 10 - 9006 9506 10006 10506

or the DOS - deck 12 - 12000 12002 12500 12502

Perhaps you can review photos or a YouTube video of your cabin.

Just now, don't-use-real-name said:

No - ONLY that there will sufficient outlets !

What OS are you in ?

Deck 9 or 10 - 9006 9506 10006 10506

or the DOS - deck 12 - 12000 12002 12500 12502

Perhaps you can review photos or a YouTube video of your cabin.

We are in 9506 os with 2 balconies. I will definitely take pictures and or video

3 hours ago, Smong said:

Your cabin will have at least one US 110V outlet (just like at home). It will have at least 1 2-prong European 220V outlet (make sure you look carefully at the power rating on your electrical devices to ensure that they can handle 220V)

We were in a forward facing penthouse suite on the Dawn and only had one US outlet. If you are just looking for something to charge your phone, the Don't Use Real Name has shown you a great setup for that. If you need power for a medical device (e.g., CPAP), you will need to bring along a couple of long, non-surge-protected extension cords. In the Deck 10 forward facing suite that we were in, the outlet was pretty far from the bed. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Your cabin will have at least one US 110V outlet (just like at home). It will have at least 1 2-prong European 220V outlet (make sure you look carefully at the power rating on your electrical devices to ensure that they can handle 220V)

We were in a forward facing penthouse suite on the Dawn and only had one US outlet. If you are just looking for something to charge your phone, the Don't Use Real Name has shown you a great setup for that. If you need power for a medical device (e.g., CPAP), you will need to bring along a couple of long, non-surge-protected extension cords. In the Deck 10 forward facing suite that we were in, the outlet was pretty far from the bed. 

So i will need an adapter that makes 220 into 110 correct? We don’t have any medical devices just phones and laptops. And do you think there will only be one regular outlet even in an os?

1 hour ago, gtaylor said:

Wow, that looks like a UK outlet. Wonder if my 2-pin European plugs will fit. Not to worry, I have them all, but just a question.

To answer your question and that of OP,  we're back on the Dawn for the 3rd. time this May - it was brough up by the GM during our post M&G questions & answers ... The Dawn is 1 of the 3 NCL ships that has both an EU and UK 220v outlets in all the cabins, plus (just one) a 110v USA outlet - and, zero (no) USB ports added during its most recent refurb/drydock.  

The common 2-round pins Euro 220v outlet is identifical to the ones across the NCL fleet, and the Dawn also has the UK/Asia 220v outlet - it is NOT interchangeable with the Euro outlet, unless you have a converter plug.   See photos below showing the different outlets, including the Euro 220v ones - we always carry 1 or 2 basic, simple 2 round-pins adapter plug, as smartphone/tablet/iPad charger  are dual-voltage compatible (check yours to be use.) 

Collage 2017-06-12 18_42_39.jpg

Thinking to recharge those USB devices - you will need i.e.  laptop with the USB port

or the device with multiple ports as pictured by mking8288 above.
Also beware of the NCL policy for the cabin attendant to unplug accessories unattended.

Overnight charging of your devices while you are in your cabin should be adequate.

I am not sure about these new -AWAY class ships when you leave your cabin all -tricity is

disconnected need some kind of key card in a slot near the cabin entry door ???

Check what is available to avoid having a dead device when you need it.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be taking a 110v power strip for charging Iphones & Ipads. I will also be taking a UK to US adapter and an extension cord for powering our CPAP's. Most electronics made now can convert 220v down to the voltage needed to charge them. Our CPAP's can also work on 220v. Just more power for me to use!

2 hours ago, pappagene said:

I will be taking a 110v power strip for charging Iphones & Ipads. I will also be taking a UK to US adapter and an extension cord for powering our CPAP's. Most electronics made now can convert 220v down to the voltage needed to charge them. Our CPAP's can also work on 220v. Just more power for me to use!

Make sure that everything in your power chain (including the extension cord) is rated for 220v. 

We would just plug our cpap extension cord into one of the [non surge protected] power strip outlets. 

Bring European adapters where you can. We were in a 2 bedroom suite on Dawn a couple of weeks ago and they had one US outlet, one uk outlet and a few European (including those next to the bed). 

more European than anything else in the cabin. 

In an SF Dawn suite last year, the main cabin had one US plug and a bunch of two prong European plugs.  The butler said he frequently has to get extension cords for guest.  After that cruise, I did like the butler said he does and bought a couple of the 2 prong European converters off Amazon.  Haven't needed them yet in later cruises though.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 2:04 AM, BirdTravels said:

Make sure that everything in your power chain (including the extension cord) is rated for 220v. 

We would just plug our cpap extension cord into one of the [non surge protected] power strip outlets. 

I have read elsewhere that it is not the voltage, but the amps (current) being pulled through the wires. If you pull too many amps through a small gage wire, they will heat up and burn. We run 2 CPAP's on one extension cord (12 or 14 gage), small amp draw on this one. Never had a problem when traveling over-seas.

Edited by pappagene