Melbourne Myki Card Balance

Ombud

I have a card from March 2018 with a $9 balance (checked online) but I'm not exactly sure what that is. I'll probably take uber from the airport to my hotel as I'm coming in from SFO and cannot sleep on planes. Arriving 21-11-19 staying in CBD and boarding Golden Princess 24-11-19. I'm familiar with clipper (our version of myki) so I know how it works but don't know how much rides are / whether there's discounted zones / is CBD in that zone / does it cover going to the pier? Y'know the nuts & bolts for a 3 night stay .... I'm not even sure why I bought it last March but it must have seemed like a good idea at the time

Thx

Trams are free in the CBD but not trains. This is a link to a map showing the zone - https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/assets/PDFs/Maps/Network-maps/5b4a3efe80/PTV-Free-Tram-Zone-Map.pdf

There are three zones for public transport in Melbourne which determine the cost of your trip - 

https://static.ptv.vic.gov.au/public-transport-victoria/1491350490/PTVH2153_TramNetworkMap_A3_L_March2017_v1_FA_LOCKED.pdf

An all day fare to cover Zone 1 is $8.80. There are also two hour fares which are half the cost. As you will be in Melbourne over a weekend, the cost of public transport for an all day fare is $6.40.

Hope this helps.

Leigh

• Like 1

I've spent the last 1/2 hour googling this and think uber is the least complicated answer. Am I correct? I can't see how public transit goes to the airport and uber seems to be the simplest option 

Yes, there are difficult public transport connections to the airport at present, so most people use the skybus for convenience if they are using mass transit, but it's not part of the myki system.

As it sounds like your hotel is in the city centre, skybus would be cheapest and convenient with possibly a little walk depending where the hotel is. Uberx would likely be about 2-3 times the cost, but straight to the hotel door. If you are travelling with others, that makes the total costs closer.

Edited by The_Big_M

Airport West is a suburb next to Melbourne's original airport Essendon and about 9 km from Melbouurne Airport. As 

The_Big_M said, Skybus is a popular choice of transport from the airport to the CBD. I would probably go with your Uber option to travel to the CBD unless your hotel is relatively close to Southern Cross Station where the Skybus terminus is situated. We have used Skybus numerous times as we then catch a train from Southern Cross Station to our home.

Leigh

10 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'm staying at the Doubletree at 270 Flinders St. I think it's near the train.  Anyway I just have a 22" suitcase

Yes it is opposite Flinders Street Station. Unfortunately you will likely be unable to be dropped off by Uber or taxi in front of your hotel. For the next three years or thereabouts, the two lanes in front of your hotel will be blocked off to allow work to continue on the Metro Tunnel. You  will either be dropped off around the corner in Elizabeth Street or a block further back along Flinders Street. Flinders Station will still be operational and there is an exit at the corner of Elizabeth and Flinders Streets but it is a flight of steps up from the station.  Trams at this stage are still operating along Flinders Street.

Leigh

Leigh

I had no idea about the construction zone! I think I'm beginning to reconsider my hotel. It is free cancelation, so if there's a construction zone I need maybe stay elsewhere? What would you do? Is there a better hotel near the pier or area in CBD?

I don't want to be in a construction zone

Edited by Ombud

I think I would be booking another hotel and would stay in the CBD which is convenient to public transport. There are many hotels and apartments available in the CBD which cover all tastes and prices. If you are planning to use trams find a hotel close to a tram line - perhaps Bourke Street or Collins Street or streets close by.

Leigh

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

What about The Victoria Hotel at 215 Little Collins St. Is that also torn up?

I have a friend who has stayed there numerous times with her family  and have always enjoyed their stay. It is in a really good position as it is between Collins Street and Bourke Street and very close to Swanston Street which all have major tram services. But it is still relatively close to the construction work happening for the Metro Tunnel. I suggest you contact the Victoria Hotel and inquire whether construction works will be affecting them.

Leigh

• Like 1