Escape the Big Top - Getaway

Sea saw 56

Can someone that has attended Escape the Big Top on the Getaway comment on this “show”?

Is this a circus-type experience?  Or is this like an escape room type of experience?    Haven’t really noticed anyone mentioning this, don’t want to pre-book something without knowing what I’m getting into.

It is more of an escape room concept.  It is not a performance show.  Audience/Passengers are put into multiple teams and presented with multiple puzzles to solve that, when completed, solves the final puzzle.  You aren't technically trying to escape a room, but rather solve a master puzzle.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

2 hours ago, Sea saw 56 said:

Can someone that has attended Escape the Big Top on the Getaway comment on this “show”?

Is this a circus-type experience?  Or is this like an escape room type of experience?    Haven’t really noticed anyone mentioning this, don’t want to pre-book something without knowing what I’m getting into.

The escape rooms can be booked on embarkation day (can not be prebioked).

You are assigned to a team of 8 to 10 people. Each team is given a set of puzzles to solve, all leading to solving the main puzzle to “escape”. Some are word jumble puzzles, number puzzles, using props in room to help solve clues. NCL has introduced new escape room puzzles on some ships. 

You have 45 mins to solve the puzzles. At the end, they tell you how to solve all of the puzzles. 

This was NOT a good experience for me last year on the Getaway.  I've done multiple escape rooms before, so I'm familiar with the process.  In this case, we were crammed into a small nightclub.  Since you are competing against other teams, you want some degree of privacy so you are not overheard.  That wasn't possible here.  There were also dimmed lights which made it very difficult to see the materials.  The actual puzzles/clues were also not very well done, but I don't want to go any further and provide spoilers.  If you have any conflicts where you aren't sure if you should do the activity or something else....I'd recommend the other choice.

45 minutes ago, Sea saw 56 said:

Did you enjoy it Bird?  

Yes. It was fun. We have done it a couple of times and [badly] lost both times. We did not do the new one on the Joy last month. We have also done the similar activities like the Royal Mystery inn RCCL. 

"Escape the Big Top" is a reference to circus themed puzzles.  On the Escape, it was held in a lounge, with ten teams working the puzzles at the same time, each team had 10 members I believe.

You are solving puzzles with few instructions, some are deductive and some require you to find less obvious meanings for what is presented.  Helps to have teens on the team, they came up with some unusual approaches, some of which worked, some didn't.  You split the puzzles up across the team.

No audience.  You get assigned to a team, families were kept together.

It only takes an hour and there's not an extra fee.  Just sign up for it immediately after boarding, it fills up completely.

46 minutes ago, newone17 said:

So, if i decide to book it - i should be ready to participate in one of the team? is there an audience who just watches? Thank you.

No, there isn’t an audience who just watches.  Everyone is on a team.  For me it wasn’t a good experience.  I went into it thinking I would be watching a performance.  I had never heard of an escape room so I was taken by surprise.  The puzzles are very difficult to solve and most of the teams didn’t do well at all.  I wouldn’t do it again.  I couldn’t want for it to be over so I could “escape.”