Re: Particular type of bar

Ctrain246

My wife and I are frequent cruisers with Carnival. We will finally "broaden our horizins" when we sail with Norwegian in November on the Escape. On Carnival ships we found our go to bar, the Alchemy Bar. I'm wondering if anyone can advise if the Norwegian ships have a bar similar to Alchemy. Thanks for your time and attention. 

Thank you for the response.  My mistake, I intended this for those who are familiar with Carnival and the Alchemy Bar. The Alchemy is kinda gimmicky in that it's set up like a chemistry lab and the drinks are concoctions. It's more the atmosphere and the attitudes of the "chemist's" 😏. I think it's difficult to fully explain as it's something that has to be experienced and I understand not all will appreciate it the same as my wife and I. 

I don't think they have anything quite like that (haven't been on Carnival). Definitely not themed like that.

Sugarcane is their mojito bar - I'm not a fan but they have several not so normal flavors

Maltings (not on Escape though) - focuses more on whiskey (but not exclusively) and has more speak-easy type drinks

Tabaco Road is where Maltings is on other ships - I can't remember what's specifically on their menu but believe they have one specific to them

District Brew House - usually has around two specialty cocktails of some sort (often on tap but not always) that you can only find there beyond the array of beers

I believe there rest of the bars just have the general NCL drink menu - which probably has some NCL specific drinks. With the exception of The Cellars having a few more wines by the glass than other bars. 

I believe Brewhouse and Sugarcane are the most restricted for liquor if you order off their menu. A few of the smaller bars might have only 4 options of a liquor instead of the multitude you can find at say the Atrium bar. 

Someone on here has a massive PDF file of all the NCL drinks to try with recipes included if you can find one of the many threads it's posted on. 

Edited by smplybcause

46 minutes ago, indygirl76 said:

Alchemy Bar is a mixology place - they don't do sour mix, "Jack and Coke," and things like that. I'm interested in the answer too, because I'm also a Carnival girl, going on my first Norwegian in May!

Indygirl, the link Cole Thornton sent is very helpful. It seems to me Mixx Bar and Prime Meridian might be the most similar to Alchemy. 

• Like 2

There are 4 to 6 drinks offered in District Brew House that were created by world renowned award winning mixologists.  the same goes for the restaurant Food Republic, which has some unique,  special cocktails.  You'll also want to visit Tobacco Road, which has specialty cocktails you can't find elsewhere on the ship.  Also, as mentioned, check out Sugarcane Mojito Bar.  Those should meet your needs.

I'm not a huge Carnival fan, but I did love the Alchemy concept... Your best bet for an Alchemy-esque experience is to chat up one of the bartenders at Mixx, or maybe Tobacco Road. I've yet to run into a 'tender that doesn't love to get a little creative if you catch him when he's not slammed.  Go at a slow time & ask for recommendations.

8 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

There are 4 to 6 drinks offered in District Brew House that were created by world renowned award winning mixologists.  the same goes for the restaurant Food Republic, which has some unique,  special cocktails.  You'll also want to visit Tobacco Road, which has specialty cocktails you can't find elsewhere on the ship.  Also, as mentioned, check out Sugarcane Mojito Bar.  Those should meet your needs.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, we'll ck them out for sure. 

9 minutes ago, trivimp said:

I'm not a huge Carnival fan, but I did love the Alchemy concept... Your best bet for an Alchemy-esque experience is to chat up one of the bartenders at Mixx, or maybe Tobacco Road. I've yet to run into a 'tender that doesn't love to get a little creative if you catch him when he's not slammed.  Go at a slow time & ask for recommendations.

trivimp, thanks for the tips, they make sense to me. 

8 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Mixx is the bar between 2 of the MDRs. The menu they have their is the regular one and they can get slammed during dinner times (everyone is either grabbing a drink right before dinner or if they have to wait a bit to be seated). 

smplybcause, thanks for response. Mixx's location is similar to Alchemy as it also is very near a MDR and the area is congested at dinner time. Alchemy becomes much more desirable in the 9,10, 11pm timeframes. Maybe it's similar with Mixx? 

18 minutes ago, Ctrain246 said:

smplybcause, thanks for response. Mixx's location is similar to Alchemy as it also is very near a MDR and the area is congested at dinner time. Alchemy becomes much more desirable in the 9,10, 11pm timeframes. Maybe it's similar with Mixx? 

That's likely. I think the last seatings for the MDR are 9 (maybe 930) so it'd die down. I've always been elsewhere at other bars from 10 on, so I'm not sure.

NCL's mixologists are in Haven even there you will find some drinks premixed 😞 I tried to find out where the bartenders would start and then where would they work to get to Haven, couldn't get an answer, other than junior bartenders work the pool bar. I don't drink alcohol and some bartenders are great at adapting & creating, others are not.

I never order the drink of the day exactly because it's premixed. But if you order it on an off-day it's usually mixed fresh, assuming they have the ingredients. 

I agree that the bartending skills vary and aren't necessarily related to the bar. You'll also have to hang around a bar and wait until it's slow if you want them to come up with something. One cruise on Royal I was the only person at the bar and it was used to serve drinks to the specialty restaurants nearby - the bartenders and waiters were asking what I liked after the first drink and would make me random drinks to try.