Books on touring/cruising Alaska ??

Annieeee

We liked Frommers Alaska. It is small enough to take with you and has lot of good info on Alaska. There is also a Frommers Ports of Alaska book which I don't think is as good but still good reading by another writer.

You can also go to the websites for each town/port and request free visitor guide be sent to you. You can pick these up there but are useful to read and have in advance. You can get Alaska state guide, Anc, and all the other ports, Matsu valley, kenai peninsula. The Mile Post is a nice mile marker guide if you are doing much land driving. You can get one at library.

Alaska for Dummies is very good. I was suprised since I usally do not like that series. Quickest read for sorting out where to go.

Inside Passage Walking Tours

Rough Guide to Alaska especially if you are land touring and are into hiking etc.

Jean

Prior to our cruise last spring, I checked out the offerings at our public library - not only did it have the Rough Guide (a couple of years old) but current (2005) Frommer and Fodor guides to cruising Alaska. In addition there were lots of books and videos about each of the destinations for our trip including national parks and cities. I think I checked them all out at some point to help get the 4 of us ready for the trip - and best part is they were free!

Alaska By Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond is very good. Charles Wohlforth is the aurhor of both Frommer's Alaska and Alaska For Dummies. The Frommer's Alaska book also has a chapter on Alaska cruises written by the authors of Frommer's Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call (Jerry Brown and Fran Wenograd Golden). I received James Michener's Alaska for Christmas - so hope to start reading that soon!

We bought Frommer's Alaska before our trip last June like so many others do. We also purchsed Joe Upton's Guide to Alaska which is sold through Princess. Even though we didn't sail on Princess, I called them and ordered it over the phone. It had a lot of good info about the ports but also had many interesting stories about Alaska that I had not read anywhere else. The mile markers in the book don't do you much good unless you are sailing on Princess, but it was still a good purchase.

I have Frommer's and also "Insight Guides Alaska" that has great sections on wildlife, history, cruises, and tours. The pictures are gorgeous. It's rather sketchy on dining and accomodations, but Frommer's covers those items very well.

If you are sailing on Princess, is it worth it to get their book on Alaska early?

Thanks.

definitely!

I suffer ;) from a reading addiction. I either bought (mostly) or borrowed from the library every book that has been mentioned here and a couple not mentioned. I even re-read Michener's Alaska, which was enjoyable, but not as pertinent as I thought it would be.

The one I found most useful was Princess Cruise Companion by Joe Upton.

We did sail on Princess and I had read it ahead of time, and highlighted and "sticky posted" parts I wanted to remember, look at, etc. Whenever I was out on my balcony (often), I had the book and the map with me and it really added to my enjoyment, helping me identify wildlife (I'm terrible telling one bird from another) and pin-pointing "where" we were.

Most of the info on the ports was identical from book to book and I got more detailed info here!

Enjoy your cruise!

Sorry for the wrong title to Joe Upton's book. I was typing this at work and didn't remember the correct title. The one Coral is referring to is the same one I was trying to refer to.

I am not even sure I have the name of the book correct. My copy is loaned out to friends....

While it won't help you much on your cruise, if you run across a copy of Joe Upton's book Alaska Blues it is well worth the read. It's a real eyeopener on the way things were up there in the '70's when he was running his own fishing boat up there.

I would love to have seen it then!!

Does one get the Frommers Alaska or the Fromer's Alaska Cruises & Ports of Call?

Thanks

I would try to take a look at them at your library or book store. We bought and like both, but of the two we preferred carrying Ports of Call on shore with us, especially since it is smaller -- about half as thick as the full edition.

Hi I would appreciate a few recommendations on books about Alaska.

In fact, I think it might be a good idea to start a book section for those that want to read about the places they are going to.

Thanks, Annieeee

If you going to Skagway there is a top 'you are there' history narrative called THE KLONDIKE FEVER by Pierre Berton that recounts the original 1898 goldrush - very entertaining read. The book cover indicates, from NY Times Book Review:

A lively saga of the great gold rush. It is the most complete and authentic on the subject in English.

The hardships, deprivation and 'dog eat dog' conditions were amazing. By law, each goldrusher had to carry 1 ton of supplies with them into the Yukon. You'll really have an 'informed' perspective when you see the sign on the footpath "Trail of 1898" from the WPRR train.:D

Does one get the Frommers Alaska or the Fromer's Alaska Cruises & Ports of Call?

Thanks

I have both (Frommer's Alaska 2004 and Frommer's Alaska Cruises and Ports of Call 2006). Frommer's Alaska is overall the better book, IMHO.

If you going to Skagway there is a top 'you are there' history narrative called THE KLONDIKE FEVER by Pierre Berton that recounts the original 1898 goldrush - very entertaining read. The book cover indicates, from NY Times Book Review:

A lively saga of the great gold rush. It is the most complete and authentic on the subject in English.

The hardships, deprivation and 'dog eat dog' conditions were amazing. By law, each goldrusher had to carry 1 ton of supplies with them into the Yukon. You'll really have an 'informed' perspective when you see the sign on the footpath "Trail of 1898" from the WPRR train.:D

I just got this book this week and it looks like it is going to be a great read and resource for my cruise.

Archived