Cruise Director ?

GranysT

Thanks. Is this Mat a good one?  I like the ones who truly love their job, and are funny, personable, and around the ship.

My absolute favorite one, many years ago on RCL, was Richard Spacey. I've never forgotten him. He was hilarious,energetic, and all over the ship.  He even was out on deck, when we had to take the small boats to dock. He was there, singing, dancing, and yelling "have a great day".  Great send off, and so much fun. 

1 minute ago, GranysT said:

He even was out on deck, when we had to take the small boats to dock. 

Those small boats you refer to are what most of us remember as 'tenders'... now apparently they've decided we need to call them 'water shuttles'... never mind- they'll still be tenders to me!

As for your question about cruise directors, I've never experienced one that made me happy enough to remember their name... once, when I was really looking forward to cruising with one that others have said is the best in the business (Matt Mitcham) he was swapped out for the week with someone else... HIS name I remember because he was such a train wreck of a CD! I've mentioned his name before and was surprised that others really liked him- maybe the short term stint out him off his game, but Cookie Adams is one of the cruise directors I would now actively avoid!

thanks Shade Lady. I knew there was a name for the small boats, but couldn't remember it. I've got Oldsheimers. Tenders, yep that was it. I haven't heard the new title before. LOL

Edited by GranysT
change a word
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

Those small boats you refer to are what most of us remember as 'tenders'... now apparently they've decided we need to call them 'water shuttles'... never mind- they'll still be tenders to me!

As for your question about cruise directors, I've never experienced one that made me happy enough to remember their name... once, when I was really looking forward to cruising with one that others have said is the best in the business (Matt Mitcham) he was swapped out for the week with someone else... HIS name I remember because he was such a train wreck of a CD! I've mentioned his name before and was surprised that others really liked him- maybe the short term stint out him off his game, but Cookie Adams is one of the cruise directors I would now actively avoid!

You are definitely in the minority on Cookie Adams.  While he isn’t one of my favorite CDs, he is a little too over the top for me, he is obviously well liked or he wouldn’t be the CD on Horizon right now. As for Matt Mitcham, he is the only Carnival CD I have seen act grossly inappropriate in front of children, so he definitely isn’t one of my favorite CDs, although I know a lot of people like him.  

9 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You are definitely in the minority on Cookie Adams.  While he isn’t one of my favorite CDs, he is a little too over the top for me, he is obviously well liked or he wouldn’t be the CD on Horizon right now. As for Matt Mitcham, he is the only Carnival CD I have seen act grossly inappropriate in front of children, so he definitely isn’t one of my favorite CDs, although I know a lot of people like him.  

Yes, I've heard a few people sing Cookie Adams' praises. I wasn't the only one who was seriously disappointed in him that week on the Vista, or I'd just put it down to personal taste. So perhaps as I said, he was just off on our cruise, since he was just filling in for a week, rather than in his own gig, as they say.

As for Matt, that is the first criticism of him I've ever heard, so I'm surprised but not really... it just means that I'll go back to my standard position of basically ignoring whoever is the CD on my cruise, as they're not likely to have a significant impact on my trip!

We have had The Flying Scotsman, Schwartz and Matt Mitcham. So far The Flying Scotsman is our favorite, although the other two are very good.

Our next cruise we have Kyndall Fire.
She was the assistant CD (I believe) on our cruise back in January when Matt Mitcham was the CD and was really good. Stood out even working with Matt. 
Looking forward to seeing how she does on her own!

I guess we have been fortunate so far with our Carnival CDs, since they have all been pretty good!

Favorite CD is the one with laryngitis!

When I sail other lines, most with minimal speaker announcements, I am amazed remembering how long, loud and irritating Carnival's shills are over the speakers.

The CDs on other lines still arrange parties, events, dances, activities, etc., but they don't blast the speakers the way that Carnival CDs do.