Hub App Chat Questions

katstoy

On 9/17/2019 at 1:04 PM, Shaded Lady said:

I don't remember exactly where you will see it (I have a great memory, it's just short 😁) but I suspect you need to activate the hub app once you're onboard, then you'll see the option to purchase the chat function.

That is what we did. We gathered in one room to make sure everyone had it and was able to use it.  We used it on the Paradise, but it wasn't very good. A lot of delayed messages, however we were on the back end of the storm or we didn't see the message in time. Kids loved it, as they could look up their charges and what was for dinner. IT was the chat feature that was disappointing.  Going to try it again, new ship, new ports, new weather.  It's all good.

We used it on the Magic last week.  It worked pretty well - the capabilities and reliability of the HUB app have increased exponentially over the last year.  We had a large group see it was much easier to connect and set up meeting times for dinner, shows, and keeping track of kids, etc.  The biggest issue that we had is that we had to remember to keep the app open all of the time -- once you close it, you no longer get notifications.  However, this was the first cruise that I no longer relied on the paper Funtimes, as the App had all of that information, plus the menus for each day at dinner, and the ability to request a table for anytime dining (but only for up to 8 people). You also have the ability to favorite certain activities, and the app will remind you when those activities are about to start.    

On 9/25/2019 at 7:47 AM, five. said:

On last weeks Magic cruise, the chat feature was unreliable. Only two or three messages worked correctly all week. The Hub app crashed a lot, many times in the background. You'd open the app and the time displayed would be hours before. Force close and reopen and all the chat messages would appear. This was on iphones 6S and 7S I think she has. Last year on Horizon it worked flawlessly.

We had the same experience on the Magic too! I finally went to guest services and got it refunded. 

On 9/22/2019 at 12:05 PM, stellarose said:

our last cruise my son was 16 , daughter 14 both used the hub. 

worked fine. even my inlaws did too. 

Their is a "cut-off" age - I believe it was anyone under 13 maybe (someone will know for sure).  We were on a cruise with another family - I do know that the 11 year old's parents had to go to Guest Services to give permission for her to send or receive chats.

4 hours ago, sc4125 said:

I do know that the 11 year old's parents had to go to Guest Services to give permission for her to send or receive chats.

I have to ask, how would anyone know who is using a phone?

On 9/17/2019 at 4:16 PM, K&RCurt said:

Interesting.  I had a Galaxy S7 last cruise.  Next one I will have my S10.  Might be phone related or maybe I could have found a setting somewhere.   Thanks for the info.

In July, my S9 gave me notifications for favorites. I didn't get chat.   

One clarification, when you sign up for the Chat feature, you can search for people who also signed up for the chat feature. You click to send them a Request, and they must approve it before you can message them. So anyone on the ship can connect via Chat but you all have to 'approve' each other. 

Yes, the HUB app has to be 'running; in order for notifications to come through. Also I just discovered that you can order pizza delivered to you anywhere on the ship via the HUB app. If you're ordering pizza, you can also order soda and select beers also. It was pretty slick. 

Being able to indicate you are ready to eat when using YTD will be great when it comes to Inspiration, not available yet.