Hub App Chat Questions

katstoy

2 hours ago, Chelle621 said:

I was also curious about using the Hub app for texting versus using face book messenger.  We have a small group but everyone will be all over doing their own thing.  But it would be nice to meet up every once in a while.  I could always rely on face book messenger.  But we shall see.

I just don’t want to be tied to my phone on vacation.  Will use the hub app    Meet up for meals.   Ships might seem large but most is cabin space.  I’ll be on deck 5.9 or 10

On 9/20/2019 at 5:44 PM, serene56 said:

Oh ok.   The hub app does that fir me. We sit at breakfast and mark up the favorites where we will be at any hour    Does it allow group texting 

It should if everybody in your group has paid the $5.00 and are in your contact list and have the app open while sailing. Just my opinion. YMMV

On 9/17/2019 at 2:04 PM, Joe817 said:

It's been mentioned before but well worth mentioning again. Once you get on board, make double special for sure you put your phone in airplane mode. The cost of international charges are mind blowing. 

Am taking our old phones. Wouldn't be a big deal if lost or dropped and no way they can connect to anything but wifi.  Will leave the new phones in the safe.

On last weeks Magic cruise, the chat feature was unreliable. Only two or three messages worked correctly all week. The Hub app crashed a lot, many times in the background. You'd open the app and the time displayed would be hours before. Force close and reopen and all the chat messages would appear. This was on iphones 6S and 7S I think she has. Last year on Horizon it worked flawlessly.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:48 PM, runnersuzy said:

Am taking our old phones. Wouldn't be a big deal if lost or dropped and no way they can connect to anything but wifi.  Will leave the new phones in the safe.

That's actually a great idea!  Never thought of doing that.  I am always nervous about losing or dropping my phone.

4 hours ago, five. said:

On last weeks Magic cruise, the chat feature was unreliable. Only two or three messages worked correctly all week. The Hub app crashed a lot, many times in the background. You'd open the app and the time displayed would be hours before. Force close and reopen and all the chat messages would appear. This was on iphones 6S and 7S I think she has. Last year on Horizon it worked flawlessly.

We are going to have a back up just in case the chat feature fails.  I'm not up on all the options but my kids were talking about some different apps.  I just want to be able to keep in touch with the family if I needed to.

28 minutes ago, Chelle621 said:

We are going to have a back up just in case the chat feature fails.  I'm not up on all the options but my kids were talking about some different apps.  I just want to be able to keep in touch with the family if I needed to.

Not all the apps they are talking about will be working while you are on the ship    You are on the ships WiFi   not your own

We just got off of the Vista and Hub app worked great. All of us were using iphones of different years and models. Chat would notify you as would an event you clicked that you were interested in. Being able to check your account at any time was great too. It was also nice to check what food venues were open, and look at menus, even for the MDR. First timer in our party found the ship deck maps useful as well.

Down loaded HUB before cruising.  Opened app once on board, paid the $5 for the week. 

Great tool for keeping in touch especially with a large group. 

Nice to have your folio available to monitor and the fun times to know what's happening on board.

Will be using again next month.  :classic_smile: 

On 9/25/2019 at 11:32 AM, serene56 said:

You are on the ships WiFi   not your own

Not sure what you are referring to, what is your own wifi? If you have internet, apps will work anywhere, which would require you buy the wifi package. Many people confuse wifi and internet. You can have 5 bars of wifi and crappy internet and can have 60 Mb of internet and a crappy wifi signal. On most older ships Carnivals internet is awful, but usually get a decent wifi signal.

On 9/19/2019 at 11:50 PM, geoffrywillhardt said:

If your wanting more reliable chat and are paying for or willing to pay for the social internet package then I would use Facebook messenger. We have started using it and its almost always reliable, but we pay for to social internet package anyways.  

This is how we all communicate onboard.  Just more convenient imo

On 9/25/2019 at 8:47 AM, five. said:

This happened to me on Ecstasy with iPhone XS Max.  I didn't have any problems on the Liberty.

Help me understand the social internet plan limitation of "Only one device at a time can connect to wi-fi." - is that per person, so if you pay for two people each can be online at the same time on their own device? Or is it for the cabin? When I add both of us, it doubles the rate, so I assume that we each get to use our own device.

Thanks. I've never done any sort of wifi plan and kind of enjoy the limitation. But it might be nice for just in case touch with home.

36 minutes ago, five. said:

Help me understand the social internet plan limitation of "Only one device at a time can connect to wi-fi." - is that per person, so if you pay for two people each can be online at the same time on their own device? Or is it for the cabin? When I add both of us, it doubles the rate, so I assume that we each get to use our own device.

Thanks. I've never done any sort of wifi plan and kind of enjoy the limitation. But it might be nice for just in case touch with home.

Right, if you purchase one internet plan (it doesn't matter which tier), only one person can connect to that plan at a time. Let's say there's two of you in your cabin. If you buy one internet plan, you both can use it, but not at the same time. One person has to logout or if the other person logs in, it'll kick the first person off.

Internet plans use your individual folio number to connect, so that's how it stops multiple people from connecting to one plan at the same time. If you pay for two people, then each one can be connected at the same time.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 1

If you plan on getting the Social Media internet plan, just use FB Messenger to communicate.  We used the Hub chat a few years ago when it was new.  It may be better now, but messages didn't always go through very quick.  We'd be sitting at dinner and I'd get a notification.  It was usually a message that my husband sent 2 hours earlier, and I didn't get it until dinner.

I got off the Sunrise this morning.  Hub App worked great, including the Chat feature.  We were notified when we had a message.  We used it to check in for Any Time Dining and we could check our accounts daily.  

I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would stand in the “Check-In” Line (which was often very long) on Deck 5 to check in for a table.  We never waited more than ten minutes using the Hub App.  Am I missing something?

3 hours ago, antmaril said:

I got off the Sunrise this morning.  Hub App worked great, including the Chat feature.  We were notified when we had a message.  We used it to check in for Any Time Dining and we could check our accounts daily.  

I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would stand in the “Check-In” Line (which was often very long) on Deck 5 to check in for a table.  We never waited more than ten minutes using the Hub App.  Am I missing something?

Not everyone uses the hub app.