What I need for check in

zitsky

I think all I need is the booklet that Viking sent me and my passport.  They'll copy my photo from my passport or scan it.  It could be a few hours before we can get into our room but we can hang out in one of the lounges.

It will be quite a change going from a river ship to an ocean cruise!

One other thing for check in and probably most important to Viking... a credit card 😉  And Viking doesn't need the booklet, but you might need it to clear port security

Edited by ropomo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ropomo said:

One other thing for check in and probably most important to Viking... a credit card 😉  And Viking doesn't need the booklet, but you might need it to clear port security

You are able to register a credit card in your My Viking Journey account, but I believe if you choose this method you have to do it at least 7 days before embarking since Viking suspends the ability to make changes to your MVJ. I wanted to do this for our last cruise in May but was a couple days late so I had to do it at check in (actually at the Explorer’s Desk since Viking was having difficulty with the data connections during check in at terminal). I plan to register my card via MVJ next time. 

Also at check in, you will have to answer a brief health questionnaire about contagious illnesses. 

Edited by Hanoj
typo

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

TA sent edocs which are pretty generic.  Nothing to scan.  Just a summary.

Can someone share what their edocs look like?  I think the booklet has something that can be scanned, am I right?

44 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Can someone share what their edocs look like?  I think the booklet has something that can be scanned, am I right?

My recollection is that checking in at embarkation is much like checking in for a flight (in the US). Hand over the ID they request which they verify and return to you with your room key card.  It’s all quite smooth and easy. No documents needed other than ID. 

There will be port security (much like at airports) to go through at embarkation. Some ports are more stringent than others, but this is a difference compared with embarkation for European river cruises (at least the Rhine Getaway we did in 2017). 

1 hour ago, Hanoj said:

You are able to register a credit card in your My Viking Journey account, but I believe if you choose this method you have to do it at least 7 days before embarking since Viking suspends the ability to make changes to your MVJ.

I have registered my CC for all previous VO Cruises, yet they have always asked for the CC at embarkation.  Maybe I just look like I need to be verified, but I suspect that is SOP.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ropomo said:

I have registered my CC for all previous VO Cruises, yet they have always asked for the CC at embarkation.  Maybe I just look like I need to be verified, but I suspect that is SOP.

I have registered credit card already but will be happy to hand over again.

I have to add this amazing example of the "Viking Touch" at check in.  I drove a rental to the ship in Porto, Portugal, being in the midst of a circular drive around the peninsula.  I parked at the nearest spot.  At check in I asked if she knew of an inexpensive parking garage nearby.  She didn't tell me where it was.  She WALKED me to the entrance, about five minutes away.  Then she took me to the nearest ATM.  I should add the desk wasn't busy at the time, but even with nothing else to do, I thought it was service way beyond expectations. 

Back on topic, I didn't have a CC on file and their IT was disabled.  She just asked me to come by during the cruise and they'd get the card loaded into the system.

• Like 1

Onboard Viking Sun at the moment and all we needed for check in at Greenwich was a passport and a credit card.  Even though we had registered the cc on MVJ.  No other forms or  documents needed.  And yes, we had the brief questions asked about health.  Took maybe 3 minutes total then on to the ship.  🍸

Edited by Jim Avery

I, too, had the same question.  I went through the My Journey booklet.  There is a page about 3 pages in which has your res. number, stateroom number, name of cruise etc.  I took that page out and put it with my passport.  I think the rest of the booklet isn't necessary. Although I will pack it just in case it is needed.  My boarding time is 2PM.  We will get to Montreal at 11 am.  Will they let us board even though our stateroom is not ready?  Our first Viking so not sure of their procedure.  

32 minutes ago, agnesd said:

I, too, had the same question.  I went through the My Journey booklet.  There is a page about 3 pages in which has your res. number, stateroom number, name of cruise etc.  I took that page out and put it with my passport.  I think the rest of the booklet isn't necessary. Although I will pack it just in case it is needed.  My boarding time is 2PM.  We will get to Montreal at 11 am.  Will they let us board even though our stateroom is not ready?  Our first Viking so not sure of their procedure.  

Are you on the Eastern Seaboard Explorer, Viking Sea on 9/26?  We are on that sailing and looking forward to it!  

If you are on our sailing, and you do not have Viking transfers, make sure you have the ship contact information with you,  I’m pretty sure that the dock information in the book is incorrect. Viking has us boarding at Terminal 3 / Section 34-35 - which is an old terminal that they were using while they were building the new one.  The new one, which is T1 and T2 has been open for some time.  The rep I spoke with insisted that the information in the book is from their database, but I’m getting the information from the Montreal Port Authority web site and they have us listed at the new terminal T1,  We are the only cruise ship in port on the 26th. 

We should be able to see the ship from our hotel.  If I don’t see it, I’ll contact the ship. If you are on the Viking Sun on the 28th, the port authority website has that ship at T2, new terminal. 

You can board at any time after 11am. The 2pm time is when your room will be ready. Once onboard you can explore the ship, head up to the World Cafe and have some lunch. 

On our last cruise, they ran tours of the ship which were helpful.  There are plenty of places to sit - all quite lovely and comfortable. Before you know it, your room will be ready for you. 

We only needed the book to get into the terminal, but this was in San Juan, I think different ports have different procedures. Basically the port security just want to know if you belong on the ship. 

Enjoy!

9 hours ago, agnesd said:

You will be able to board anytime after 11:00 is standard.