Hi, we are newbie's and......

ellar

I have "hovered" lots on this Roll Call and Discussion but am now in need of advice and hope one of you experts could help us.  We split out time between Sarasota and West Mersea (most south easterly inhabited island in the UK) and after nursing my Mum for the past three years we are now able to travel and are joining you all on Silhouette on Oct 24th.  .The only other time we have disembarked  in Fort Lauderdale was from a Princess cruise and they had a transfer service to and from Sarasota, apparently Celebrity do  not have such a service.  Can anyone help me regarding getting a rental car (or give any other suggestions for transportation to Sarasota). We dock in FLL at 0500 and should be off the ship by 0900.  I understand there will be shuttles available to take passengers to the rental car offices but surely this will take quite a while.  I've spent most of today trying to get through to car rental company with absolutely no luck.  Following on from this question, does anyone know of any hotels in the area where one could access a room in the morning or do we have to occupy ourselves until the 2 or 3pm check in?

Many thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellar said:

I have "hovered" lots on this Roll Call and Discussion but am now in need of advice and hope one of you experts could help us.  We split out time between Sarasota and West Mersea (most south easterly inhabited island in the UK) and after nursing my Mum for the past three years we are now able to travel and are joining you all on Silhouette on Oct 24th.  .The only other time we have disembarked  in Fort Lauderdale was from a Princess cruise and they had a transfer service to and from Sarasota, apparently Celebrity do  not have such a service.  Can anyone help me regarding getting a rental car (or give any other suggestions for transportation to Sarasota). We dock in FLL at 0500 and should be off the ship by 0900.  I understand there will be shuttles available to take passengers to the rental car offices but surely this will take quite a while.  I've spent most of today trying to get through to car rental company with absolutely no luck.  Following on from this question, does anyone know of any hotels in the area where one could access a room in the morning or do we have to occupy ourselves until the 2 or 3pm check in?

Many thanks

On a Sunday many offices are on a limited staffing; only open in the morning when ships arrive.  I suggest calling tomorrow, Monday.  First go to the general Celebrity forum and search Rental Cars for Ft. Lauderdale.  Don't use Budget, as their location is very understaffed and slow.  2nd. go to your Roll Call Silhouette October 24, 2019 to register and ask questions there as well. No need to book a hotel for just a half day.  National/Alamo are both off site and very close to the airport which is close to the port. As soon as you disembark, call the agency for your rental and they will make sure a bus swings by the terminal.  

Many thanks Nanatravel, have managed to arrange car.  I really enjoy reading all the posts in the discussion but can’t work out how to post a question or general comment.  This is our first TA, our other 3 cruises were warm weather and places but I have no idea of kind of temperature to expect onboard, should we plan for long sleeve cotton tops with maybe a cashmere for NY and Boston or???  I apologies for such a mundane question but....🤔 Thanks

10 minutes ago, ellar said:

Many thanks Nanatravel, have managed to arrange car.  I really enjoy reading all the posts in the discussion but can’t work out how to post a question or general comment.  This is our first TA, our other 3 cruises were warm weather and places but I have no idea of kind of temperature to expect onboard, should we plan for long sleeve cotton tops with maybe a cashmere for NY and Boston or???  I apologies for such a mundane question but....🤔 Thanks

Take a light hooded jacket. You will need it if you walk on the deck while we are crossing. Also will need it in Boston and NY., Layers work well

When you get off the ship and go to the rental car area make sure that you wave your prebooking receipt at the driver as lots of folks will be wanting the shuttles and many are not booked yet. They tend to try to push their way onboard!.  You have priority. We have used Budget several times with no issues

26 minutes ago, ellar said:

Fall weather in NY and Boston can vary quite a bit. You may end up with temps anywhere from 40-70 degrees, so layers are the best bet. Onboard will be cooler and windier. 

At the end of October in NewYork City the temperature ranges can vary. I'd suggest long sleeve cotton tops, sweat shirts, light sweaters, light jackets. Bring things you can layer for the best options. Boston, being further north may be colder at that time. The autumn weather can vary greatly at that time of year, anywhere from summer temps in the 80F highs to 30-40F lows. Most likely it'll be somewhere in the middle, so best to be prepared with layers. The temps on the ship will of course be properly climate controlled.