Venice hotels pre cruise - yes I have looked here

Vineyard View

I looked through 3 pages on booking,com. I read through 5 pages of posts here on CC reading Venice hotel topics. I hope that being a bit specific will help with recommendations - we have been to Venice but have not had the opportunity to stay. We will arrive early afternoon at the airport and have two nights prior to boarding the ship. We are on a b2b so will visit Venice mid trip, then concluding in Venice - flying home that day. 

We are physically mobile without limitations, however we will probably each have a backpack and 25” roller for a long trip. Because of this,  easier access will be important, including from the airport then to the ship from the hotel. I do not want to drag those suitcases over those bridges.  Possibly via Vaporetto? 

We do not need to be in the center of the main tourist area, and would not mind a quieter area, but I do want a canal view (doesn’t need to be the Grand) from my room

I would like a room 25+sm 

I would like to stay at $400/night. Will consider a bit  more for the right room/hotel

we are not wanting a chain hotel, preferring historic ambience 

we would prefer 4*

I am not sure if this is enough detail, but I sincerely hope that it will help drive some recommendations. 

Thank you 

I research hotels to death but Venice is a difficult one. Let me tell you what I decided on and why, and how it worked out.

I also wanted to minimize hassle with luggage (what you have sounds reasonable) and I wanted to stay somewhere a little more picturesque and closer to the areas where we would be walking and sightseeing than Piazzale Roma, despite its convenience to the port.

I also kept in mind that the areas immediately adjacent to Rialto and San Marco tend to get a lot of crowds (and hence noise) up until mid-evening.

I finally decided to book the Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo for a number of reasons:

• The property is a converted palazzo right on the Grand Canal, with good reviews. (Some rooms have canal views.)
  • It is well located about halfway between Rialto and San Marco; easily walkable to either area yet in a somewhat more quiet middle ground.
  • Literally 20 flat steps (no bridges) from the hotel are both a vaporetto stop (Sant'Angelo) and an Alilaguna stop. This was particularly important to us as we were arriving by air and wanted to be able to take Alilaguna direct to our hotel. 
  • Sina is a well known Italian hotel chain, and reviews were very positive.

We were very happy with our choice. Transportation worked as planned from the airport. We were there for 4 days and having a vaporetto pass meant it was easy to get around on the canals or on foot. The hotel itself was beautiful. Nicely restored without being too "over the top" (which some Venice hotels are -- they end up looking like bordellos....) . The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the breakfast was great (I can't remember if it was included or if we paid for it but either way it was a great start to the day and especially because I was traveling with my 25-year-old son who needed "fuel"!)

We did not opt for a canal view room, but there is a lovely bar area in the hotel that looks out over the front if one wants to drink in the view. Our room was fairly spacious and quiet. The hotel left us some fruit, cookies and sparkling soda on arrival which was a nice and welcoming touch.

Overall I could not have been happier with the hotel in regard to making the transportation hassle in Venice bearable, the location, and the facilities. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. It is the pale pink building on the right, below:

image.thumb.png.496ea4215e963fafd478f4c11b72d344.png

• Thanks 1

Thank you cruisemom so very much. How awesome to experience that time with your adult son! You are always so helpful. Your description sounds spot on to what we are hoping to find. 

This hotel looks lovely, however it appears that the Saturday in May is sold out that we will be there.   Friday is open but that wouldn’t work. I just sent an email directly to them so will see what they may be able to do. 

Yes, I have researched more sites than I posted here. I research a lot - hotels, private excursions, etc. but Venice is important to get right from what I have read here. It seems that many hotels are not yet open for booking in early May, which seems a bit surprising but maybe I am too far in front of this?  

A few additional thoughts just in case the Palazzo Sant'Angelo doesn't work out for you. (Or for others looking for hotel options in Venice):

Hotel Papadopoli is a very nice 4 star hotel that is quite convenient to Piazzale Roma without feeling like part of the more 'industrial/transportation' vibe of that particular area. There is just one bridge to be crossed from Piazzale Roma (where land taxis and express airport buses drop you off), and of course Piazzale Roma is most convenient for anyone who will be boarding a ship.  That bridge has shallow steps and part of it is ramped, so it's not terrible. You can see it starting at about minute 2:00 in the video walking instructions on how to get to the hotel here:  https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/directions/papadopoli-venezia.htm

To me it's less ideal than the Palazzo Sant'Angelo as the location and charm factors are a bit lower. However, the convenience is worth considering if you don't mind a short-ish walk with luggage and the hotel itself is very nice. I stayed there (for a killer low rate I might add) when they had just opened after renovations.

If Venetian charm and a Grand Canal location is the highest bullet point on your list, I would also recommend the Hotel Palazzo Stern (photo below, with the Venetian gothic pointed windows). The look of it just oozes Venice. Like the Sant'Angelo, it is easily reached (no bridges) by Alilaguna from the airport and there is also a nearby vaporetto stop (Ca' Rezzonico). It believe it has fewer rooms and they are somewhat individual (varying in size, views, and amenities). My sister and BIL stayed here and really enjoyed it. It was tied with the Palazzo Sant'Angelo on my list for a long time on my more recent stay; ultimately I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Hotel Palazzo Stern

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

Thank you for further recommendations cruisemom!  Palazzo Sant’Angelo responded to my inquiry from yesterday regarding the sold out date.  They have rooms ‘blocked in option’, and that if I would check back in Mid November to see if anything has changed so that they might be able to offer me something. I am not sure how okay it is to wait until then for a room early May  

I think in meantime I will research a little more before we leave on a trip and will look at these further suggestions from you. Thank you again. I very much appreciate your knowledge and ideas. 

Didn't mean to steal the thread.... 😏

Do anyone have a hotel or airbnb to recommend for someone with mobility issues? My mom would prefer not to climb any stairs.... but if needed, she could do 2 or 3 flat ones.... We will stay 2 days pre-cruise too!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, kelliq said:

Didn't mean to steal the thread.... 😏

Do anyone have a hotel or airbnb to recommend for someone with mobility issues? My mom would prefer not to climb any stairs.... but if needed, she could do 2 or 3 flat ones.... We will stay 2 days pre-cruise too!

Thanks!

I have no personal experience to offer, but this info may be helpful to you:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotelmaps/accessible-venice-hotels.htm

• Like 1

We (14 of us) recently stayed at the Carnival Palace Hotel and were very happy with it. We took a water taxi to it and the stop was right at their door. it is in a quieter location but very easy to get around and just 10 minute walk to Piazzale Roma. They seem to be a larger hotel so might not be sold out. Have a great trip!

Thank you for these further recommendations. I will take a look at both!  

We have decided that it is important to us If they have decent size canal view rooms (Grand Canal isn’t important), and  are easy to arrive from the airport and depart to the cruise terminal,  then our top priorities are met - along with pricing that comes in around $400+/- night. 

We'll be in Venice post cruise next month.  We're staying in the AC Hotel Venezia.  It's a Marriott but it's walking distance - no bridges - to/from the ship and next to the bus stop to the airport.  They have rooms available in May - I checked.  They do have rooms that overlook a canal - they say.  I think the price easily fits your range.  The only thing is - it's a Marriott - which is fine with me - maybe not you.  It's not central Venice but since we'll be there for several days, I'm not worried about that.

Thank you for your Marriott suggestion. I will look at that. 

Carnival Palace just responded to me. They have attractive pricing and explained that there is a water bus for 15 euro or water taxi 120-130 euro - Love the Beach does this sound correct on the taxi? The rooms look a bit more modern than old school in decor - wat that your impression?  Looks like a very good option. 

A Reali came in a bit high on pricing but looks lovely. I may continue to check with them. Specials can make a big difference

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Carnival Palace just responded to me. They have attractive pricing and explained that there is a water bus for 15 euro or water taxi 120-130 euro - Love the Beach does this sound correct on the taxi? The rooms look a bit more modern than old school in decor - wat that your impression?  Looks like a very good option. 

A Reali came in a bit high on pricing but looks lovely. I may continue to check with them. Specials can make a big difference

We have stayed in Venice three times at Hotel Principe, Lista de Spagna 146.  It is very close to the railway station (we took the train from Milano the first time!).  Overlooking the canal, wonderful breakfast room and bar overlooking the canal.  It is one bridge from Piazzale Roma, we walked over with 2 x 26 inch rollers, 2 carryons and a backpack. (I use bungee cords to 'tie' the 2 x 26 inch together so the can be pushed as one.  same with the carryons!).  We took the bus from the airport into Piazzale Roma and walked to the hotel easily.

We took a water taxi from the hotel dock to the ship at a cost of 70 euro for two (arranged through front desk of hotel).

We would stay here again as it is a nice hotel.

22 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Yes, the prices are correct on the taxi. I originally planned to take the water bus to Piazzale Roma and then a land taxi or the people mover to the port  but since there were so many of us it made sense to just take the water taxi...it was 130 euro but holds 10 people with luggage. The decor is a bit of both. They have a very nice outside garden as well. We were very happy there and would stay again.

4 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you so much. So the water taxi price of 130 euro was per person, correct?

I appreciate this input and all these suggestions! 

No...the price is for the first 4 persons....anything over that is an additional 10 euro per person.  If there are 2 of you it would be 130 unless you get another couple or two to share the ride. Check out the website:

https://www.motoscafivenezia.it/it/

I just tried a "dummy" booking for May 1 for 2 people and the price came up as 92 euro.. to the port. From Marco Polo Airport to Carnival Palace it shows 115 euro.

Edited by Love the beach

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for that clarification!  I really appreciate the link as well!

it will be just the two of us. I wonder what the water bus is like at 15 euro/ea from the airport. 

I've used it several times and it is, for the price, a very good option assuming you have an Alilaguna stop near your hotel. 

Thank you both. This Information is very helpful. 

I just saw a post on another thread showing the crowds in Venice this week. Seven ships were in port. Clenched my decision no to stay around St Marks square. I know it quiets down in the evening, but that is just too many people.