Cruise Amenity Cutbacks: Where Do You Draw The Line?

vtcruising

Cruise Amenity Cutbacks: Where Do You Draw The Line?  

297 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-10, which of the following amenities would you rate greater than a 5 in importance for you to have an excellent cruise experience? You can choose as many as you wish.

• Twice daily cabin service (one including nightly turndown chocolates)
    • Celebrity tote
    • Footstools on veranda
    • Table large enough and high enough for dining on veranda
    • Use of bathrobes
    • Complimentary Room Service (presently complimentary from 6AM-11PM)
    • Complimentary in-room movies
    • Complimentary welcome aboard sparkling wine/other beverage
    • Embarkation lunch if in Concierge
    • Complimentary shoeshine service in suites, Concierge and Aqua Class
    • Bottle of sparkling wine for Aqua Class and Concierge and lower level suites and champagne for upper level suites
    • Pillow menu with choice of variety of pillows in Concierge, Aqua Class and Suites
    • Priority Check-in for Concierge, Aqua Class, Suites or due to Captain's Club Level
    • Daily Canapes for Concierge, Aqua Class and Suites
    • Use of umbrella and binoculars in Concierge, Aqua Class and Suites
    • Reserved seating in theater on Chic nights for Suites
    • Priority tendering for suites or due to Captain's Club level
    • In-suite specialty coffee service
    • Full in-suite breakfast, lunch, dinner service for Suites
    • Afternoon Tea in Michael's Club/Retreat Lounge
  2. 2. If any of the following amenities were to be discontinued, which one would upset you the most and might cause you to potentially look at other cruiselines? Choose one item.

• Twice daily cabin service (one including nightly turndown chocolates)
    • Complimentary in-room movies
    • Complimentary Room Service (presently complimentary from 6AM-11PM)
    • Footstools on veranda
    • Table large enough and high enough for dining on veranda
    • Mast Grill as complimentary venue (change to fee-based)
    • Complimentary extra entrees in MDR, Blu, Luminae
    • Use of bathrobes
    • Embarkation lunch if in Concierge
    • Priority Check-in for Concierge, Aqua Class, Suites or due to Captain's Club Level
    • Use of umbrella and binoculars in Concierge, Aqua Class and Suites
    • Bottle of sparkling wine for Aqua Class and Concierge and lower level suites and champagne for upper level suites
    • Daily Canapes for Concierge, Aqua Class and Suites
    • Reserved seating in theater on Chic nights for Suites
    • Full in-suite breakfast, lunch, dinner service for Suites
    • Priority tendering for Suites or due to Captain's Club level
    • It would bother me to lose some of these things, but it would take more than one of these things being discontinued to cause me to look at other cruiselines.
    • I don't care if any of these are discontinued.
  3. 3. Which of the following services/amenities would you most like added or improved? Please choose one.

• Improved Room Service menu, with a few items from specialty restaurants available during dinner hours for upcharge.
    • Refreshed MDR, Blu and Luminae menus
    • Improved food quality in complimentary venues
    • Longer breakfast hours on sea days.
    • More lunch options for port days.
    • Minimum veranda furniture (as space allows): reclining chairs and footstools and table large/high enough for dining - recliners on request for verandas large enough to accommoodate
    • Daily complimentary bottled water if in Aqua Class and lower level suites
    • Default of empty refrigerator, with option to purchase a minibar package that would keep it stocked with certain items.
    • Large, fluffy towels available for all
    • Improved toiletries for all

15 hours ago, kathynorth said:

Good suggestion! The after cruise surveys are not accurate  because everyone knows that the results are closely tied to on ship staff incentives, thus the culture of 10.

My after-cruise surveys are accurate. I don't give all 10s (or 9s or whatever) because someone tells me to. I give my honest feedback.

13 hours ago, calicakes said:

You forgot to add " Crappy saltines with the cheese plates"  as an option in #2.  Seriously though, who eats saltine crackers with cheese?  If we were in the room during afternoon canape service, I would keep the deep sleep magnet on the door.  The cheese plate was not enjoyable. 

LOL.  Cheese plate and crackers up there with the tasteless dessert concoctions in the Oceanview buffet!

Probably many don't consider live music to be an amenity, but I really do. If any further cuts in live music are made, that would be the deal breaker for me. I remember the halcyon days when there were a true jazz combo in the Ensemble Lounge, a reggae band at the pool and a men's vocal quartet that sang at various places on the ship. I'm not a big fan of guitar and vocal duets which seem to be the new standard. One of the pleasures of cruising for me is the variety of live music. I am saddened that it is being gradually eaten away and I do miss the way it used to be.

13 hours ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

Probably many don't consider live music to be an amenity, but I really do. If any further cuts in live music are made, that would be the deal breaker for me. I remember the halcyon days when there were a true jazz combo in the Ensemble Lounge, a reggae band at the pool and a men's vocal quartet that sang at various places on the ship. I'm not a big fan of guitar and vocal duets which seem to be the new standard. One of the pleasures of cruising for me is the variety of live music. I am saddened that it is being gradually eaten away and I do miss the way it used to be.

I understand your point but live music is a staple on a cruise - not an amenity.  Same as food!

Since we have 280 respondents, I wanted to sum up the results at this point. Keep in mind that this is an informal, non-scientific poll (I'm not submitting it for publication 🙂). As some noted, there wasn't a "none of the above" vote for 1 and 3 - a few noted that they would have chosen "none", if the option had been available.

I found it interesting to see what people value when cruising, compared to what I value. Thanks to all who participated!

Here are the main results:

On a scale of 1-10, which of the following amenities would you rate greater than a 5 in importance for you to have an excellent cruise experience? Could choose more than one answer.

Top Ten Answers:

1  Twice daily turndown with chocolates at night                75%

2   Tables large enough for dining on the veranda               59%

3   Complimentary Room Service (except 11-6)                   58%

4   Priority Check-in for Suites, AQ, Concierge, CC levels    56%  

5   Footstools on the veranda                                                  53%

6   Complimentary In-Room Movies                                       42%

7   Priority Tendering for Suites or CC level                           39%   

8   Use of bathrobes                                                                  33% 

9   Pillow Menu                                                                           28%

10 Welcome aboard bubbles/other beverages                     26%   

If any of the following amenities were to be discontinued, which one would upset you the most and might cause you to potentially look at other cruiselines? Choose one item.

1     Twice daily turndown with chocolates at night                                 32%

2     It would bother me to lose some of these things, but it would take more than one of these things being discontinued to cause me to look at other cruiselines.                31%

Which of the following services/amenities would you most like added or improved? Please choose one.

1   Improved food quality in complimentary venues                                                     26%

2   Minimum veranda furniture (as space allows): reclining chairs and footstools and table large/high enough for dining - recliners on request for verandas large enough to accommodate                                                                                                                     24%

3   Refreshed MDR, Blu and Luminae menus                                                                 21%

Someone asked about things Celebrity has added to the cruising experience over the years (of course, like the cutbacks, there will be differences in how people here view them). Here are the ones listed in this thread:

Covepointcruiser:

Added amenities since we began cruising in Celebrity

Anytime Dining

Much better selections in buffets

No more formal nights and a very relaxed dress code

Gluten free items

Vegan and Vegetarian Menus

Beverage Packages

Internet and Internet packages

Gratuities are now automatic, no more envelopes and searching for crew to tip

More than one dining option, MDR, Buffet, Mast Grill, all included

Coffee Bar with great coffee and free pastries

Pillow choice, mattress toppers, wedges for those with GERD

Special cabins for disabled passengers

Dogs now allowed on the ships (even emotional support)

Self Disembarking

Daily Trivia

Special Lounge and Restaurant for suites

Aquaclass

Jelayne added:

Unlimited drinks 5-7 for Elite and above at most bars.

Specialty dining packages 

Surf internet packages 

Enhancements to Concierge Class. 

The revolutionizing of every cabin. 

Edited by vtcruising

On 9/27/2019 at 6:00 PM, Edinburghgirl1 said:

None of these things would make or break the cruise for me. 

I am with you! What makes a cruise great for me is the experiences - not the things.

Plus, things are what you make them. If you are only looking at what you don’t have, of course you are going to be miserable. Try looking at what you do - the health and financial ability to enjoy a vacation on a beautiful ship on the beautiful ocean!

Over the many years, cruises have changed for everyone.  You used to get more bang for your buck.  Now, it seems like there is a charge for this and a charge for that.  We love Celebrity and do not mind paying to eat at the specialty restaurants for example.  The little extras that they have gotten rid of bother me a bit, but instead of getting upset, I try to make the best of it.  A tote bag - I do not need.  A foot stool I need and bought 2 blow up ones on Amazon.  Movies - I do not watch in my cabin.  If I had young children this probably would bother me more.  On pricing, I actually priced a similar Carnival cruise and found out it would cost more by the time I added on a beverage package and gratuities.