Elation 9/21-9/26 *missed ports* Pic Review - First time cruising with a toddler!

Viva_la_Vida

Hello dear viewer! I will be embarking on a multiple part picture review of my family's voyage on The Carnival Elation, September 21-26. Yes, this was the sailing where our ship, due to a mechanical issue, ended up not going to either port we were supposed to. This will be an honest review, that said, I am most definitely a half glass full kind of gal.  But I'm also honest, and if I perceived something to be less than fair, not as good, or on the flip side, totally awesome,  I am going to let you know. It is 100% my opinion, so take it or leave it. I always write these reviews after cruises and really enjoy it. Hopefully, I can help people look forward to their trip, re-live some fun times, avoid issues, or answer questions you may have. Don't hesitate to ask! 

A bit about us: In our party was Valerie (me), husband Marc, and our toddler, Bennett, who just turned 2!  We were also joining a large party of additional family and friends of family on board (14 of us in all!). While I had been on a Carnival ship before, this was the first trip ever for our son, and the first Carnival sailing for my DH. We had previous experience on Disney, NCL, and Celebrity. We are from north of Atlanta, Georgia. 

TRAVEL DAY AND GETTING ON THE BOAT 

We left around 4pm after work and arrived at our hotel in Titusville, FL around 1 in the morning. We stayed at the Hampton Inn, which was about $100 less than other hotels in Port Canaveral. Totally worth it! The room was more than adequate and we slept well. Breakfast was pretty awesome with fresh pressed juices, hot waffles, good coffee, etc. This hotel was 3 minutes from Walmart, Target, and CVS, etc. and also a straight shot to the port. It's about a half hour drive from the hotel. Again, more than worth it to save $100. 

We had purchased Faster to the Fun (FTTF). This meant we could get on board starting at 11:30am and our room was guaranteed to be ready. It was that last part that was important to us. Our toddler is, um, spirited, let's say 😉 We needed a place to put down our carry on items and get him settled ASAP so we could have four free hands to handle him!  Because of this, FTTF was worth it to us, however, I would never purchase this again without him in tow. Why? The rest of our family, who didn't purchase FTTF was able to board just as early as us. Granted, their rooms weren't' ready until 1:30, but still, no biggie if you're not chasing a toddler or needing a place for him to nap. Furthermore, we didn't see any other advantage to FTTF other than skipping forward in guest services. Are we missing something? We are admittedly new at this so I'd give it another chance if I had good reason. . . Debarkation (which was a holy terror nightmare) gave us no FTTF perks either, although I think technically it was supposed to. More on that later! 

Parking: We used the extremely expensive parking deck located right next to the ship. At $17 a day, including arrival and departure days, I was hoping it would wash my car and sing to me. No such luck. But, it was convenient. Had we not had our little with us, we would have parked off site and shuttled in! TIP: Take a picture of where you parked so you remember after you get back. TIP 2: Make sure you tape your luggage tags on ahead of time, or bring tape! You can either pay ahead of time and bring your ticket with you, or do what we did and leave the ticket in the car. It was no biggie to pay upon exit. 

Getting on the ship was easy. We parked, headed to the elevator, and dropped our luggage. Then we met up with two of the others in our party - yay! Here we are, happy times, with the ramp up to the arrival area in the background. You can see how close it is to the deck. 

image.thumb.png.3c0c1344ba2f3fe0b755819c8a11161a.png

We were on the ship and in our room before noon. One confusing thing was the signs saying rooms were not ready. We double checked that it did not apply to us, and then went on and found our cabin. We were on deck 6 "Upper" and in porthole cabin U9. It was very far forward, a mistake I won't make again! But, we loved the cabin itself, just not the location so far forward. Here are some pics. Great layout, go Carnival! We loved the 4 USB ports, ample closet space, and room for a little toy corner for Bennett. TIP: Purchase water ahead of time via the website, and they'll be waiting in your cabin. Best deal of any cruiseline I've been on - $2 something for a 12 pack. Free water is kind of scarce on board, as odd as that sounds,  and I am a huge water-drinker so this was essential for us. We got 3 packs and it lasted us 5 days. This was almost not enough! I will get an extra in the future. DH brought his nalgene water bottle and refilled many times in the buffet and I also got a free giant bottle for being a repeat guest. 

image.png.76cb2938d114ced62039c9700ae8dfdc.png

image.thumb.png.3438ce219e41b9b1921c4a44a0a00cfe.png

image.png.454560a81486a3bbe0e1b517863689b9.png

We loved the little area under the windows for additional storage up and away from our busy toddler! 

image.png.8cf58c16b422e9f250bd23a4b4c8e164.png

Here are the USBs on the other side of the bed. 

image.thumb.png.b5e0487d6e11013fbe6cbc59fdd9a149.png

image.thumb.png.896690e47957fdaf793d620074f4272b.png

We joked that the closet was going to be Bennett's bed. He then was calling it "bed" the rest of the trip, haha!! We did not have them make the trundle up, he just slept with us. 

image.thumb.png.14aaf3f8b401ce93c586d882eca844ff.png

image.thumb.png.f68c8a573ea5aaa1fd7c6d7063140ea0.png

image.thumb.png.0fd1ff3e7e8759b2c771709369c9c195.png

Next up, sail away! 

image.png

• Like 1

Actually, let me attach the rest of the cabin pics before I move on to sail away!   The bathroom was small, and I expected it to be. It was fine for our needs, although my 2 year old didn't love to shower - he's used to a bath. 

A big area of difference between Carnival and the other lines on which I've sailed is the toiletries. This is were the budget price point shows. They only provide bulk shower gel and shampoo - no lotion. 

Here is also our Fun Times for the first day. 

And for those curious about the hairdryer, it was in the desk drawer. If you need help finding it, just recruit a toddler 😉

Here's a view with what we ended up calling the "toy corner" over to the left. TIP: Bring some magnetic hooks. The walls are all magnetic and can hold lightweight things like funtimes. The ceilings were great for our hooks to dry clothing! 

After dropping our things we headed up to find the buffet, but not before Bennett found the cornhole! 

The buffet was super hot and crowded. We lucked out and ran into some of our family, who gladly sat with our kiddo and let him devour their food so we could find a seat and get food! 

I recommend eating at either of the outdoor cafes (Guy's Burgers or Blue Iguana) and sitting outside if you can. The food was OK and most importantly, the coffee was good! 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

At some point, we wandered into a registration table for the kids' clubs and Dr. Seuss breakfast. We didn't register our little one for the camp stuff, but we did go ahead and sign up for the Dr. Seuss Breakfast, which was supposed to be at 8:30am (eek) on the last day at sea. A little early for us night owls, but that's OK! It was $5 per person. I am not sure where we would have gone to take advantage of this had we not happened to see it. It wasn't advertised at all, from what I saw (could have missed it, though!).  

I was anxious about muster drill (re: spirited toddler) but all was well, he slept the whole time. Our muster station was in the Mikado Lounge. After that, we headed up to a forward deck for sail away! It was crazy windy, but we enjoyed seeing the Breeze sail out and then follow her closely. Disney Fantasy was also in port. 

image.thumb.png.57976332c944f0661ee483a5a77c5001.png

image.png.2448f769cc54583db58405523c2d5451.png

image.png.42b673ca4b838d21bfe5a9be2529bc16.png

image.thumb.png.8a13d20482173423c52113963250030c.png

It was really a beautiful day. Unfortunately, just a little while into the journey we started really rocking. This is my 6th cruise as an adult with at least one other during hurricane season and I've never been seasick. Well, I guess there's a first time for everything!!! I didn't take Dramamine quickly enough, threw it up, and was down for the count by 6pm. Thank goodness Bennett was OK and didn't seem to be affected at all. Marc didn't feel great, but could at least function. I didn't even make it out of the room until the next morning, and that was only due to my aunt having an extra scopolamine patch. It saved me, but they take several hours to take effect so it wasn't until midnight or so that I felt OK. I heard later from several sources that the ship sold out of seasick products within a half hour. I don't doubt it. I've never felt such rocking. 

Next up, Sea Day 1 and some news that changed our whole trip . . . . Stay tuned 🙂

Edited by Viva_la_Vida
spelling error

DAY 2, AT SEA 

A BIG thing I should mention before getting into Day 2 is a major safety issue we had. Bennett figured out how to open our cabin door right away, and was strong enough to open it, despite us bolting it. There was no way to secure it that he couldn't figure out. This was a giant oversight in my opinion. We had to barricade the door each night before we fell asleep because we were afraid he'd wake up and try to run out! We did the best we could by piling our empty suitcases in front of it, and opening the closet doors. Still, one night he woke up in the middle of the night and ran towards the door and was pushing the stuff out of the way to get out when I got to him. SUPER SCARY. CARNIVAL, YOU NEED TO FIX THAT!!! All the door needs is a sliding chain. 

Another thing that we didn't deal with the first day because of me being sick was the cigarette smell in our cabin. We didn't notice it at first, but after sail away, the smell was strong. This was a persistent issue throughout the cruise. We complained to guest services and they investigated but couldn't do anything about it. We were told it was probably someone smoking in another room, which is totally not allowed, but they couldn't figure out who it was. What I was told by our awesome cabin steward, Vas, was that it was a smoking area nearby. On further inspection, there was not a public one that we could find, so we think it must have been a crew smoking area. They did send us chocolate covered strawberries and even bring in an ozone machine to make it smell better, but that was definitely something I never had to deal with on any other cruiseline. Celebrity and Disney are smoke free, and NCL only allows it outdoors on certain decks. Carnival needs to be more transparent about where these crew smoking areas are so that guests can choose cabins with that knowledge. TIP, make sure you know how dangerous Ozone machines are. . . I didn't and regret having them use it in our room. 

OK, finally to Day 2!! 

Sea Day Brunch was a must-do for us! I was so grateful to be feeling like myself again. We were seated by 9am and enjoyed fruit loop french toast, a bagel platter, steak and eggs, corned beef hash, and mac and cheese. It sure beat the buffet! There was a line to be seated by the time we left. No wonder, it was awesome! 

image.thumb.png.f8f023985e98c0bd11cc8b7df478ec21.png

After we left brunch, we went back to our cabin for a bit. It was around this time that we heard an announcement that changed our entire trip. The Captain announced that due to a propulsion issue, we would not be making it to either of the ports - Amber Cover or Grand Turk, and that we'd have an overnight stay in Nassau instead.  I was insanely disappointed. I chose this cruise specifically for those ports - two I'd never visited. I'd visited Nassau at least two other times. What did help our disappointment was the promise of 50% off a future cruise, and  $100 OBC.  I think we should have just been refunded 50% of the trip we were on currently. A letter arrived shortly under the stateroom door explaining everything the captain had just said. To be clear, nothing about weather was mentioned. This was 100% a mechanical issue. I'll leave the letter below. I think had we known about the vacation guarantee Carnival offers, my DH would have been all in favor of taking advantage of it, although it would have been nip and tuck to speak to guest services before 24 hours was up. There were some who didn't even hear in time this was an issue, since the announcements are often hard to hear. That said, I'm glad we stayed on although I think Carnival knew about this ahead of time, and I think it was a terrible idea to take a boat full of people out to sea with a ship that wasn't functioning well. When we looked on our app at charges, our port charges had been refunded *before the cruise even officially started*. What the heck!? If they knew, we should have been told so we could decide whether or not we wanted to continue with our trip. This, I think, was some shady business. Anyway, on with our day. 

We wandered around a bit and I found the coffee bar "Musical Cafe". Great coffee and ran about $3.50-4.50 depending on what you got.  As you can see, the sea was very choppy!  We then hit the Water Works area. Only the "baby slides" were open, but that was fine for us! Bennett had a blast. 

Next up, formal night. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Formal night was fun! Another big difference in Carnival is the relaxed nature of the dining room, even on formal night. You did see quite a few people dressed up, but nothing like you would see on Celebrity. DH would wear a full suit on X while he blended in with the rest of the crowd just fine in khakis and a long sleeved collared shirt. We had fun getting pictures taken with several of the backdrops. There were plenty to choose from, most with no wait at all. 

We all loved the decor of the Inspiration Dining Room. We thought the colors and light fixtures were beautiful and the decor was upscale and modern. We had early seating, and had linked our reservations ahead of time so we could all sit together. That was seamless, great job, Carnival! 

As far as the food, it was a mixed bag. With a few exceptions, the food wasn't really memorable, except for the desserts. I had a good, albeit simple teriyaki salmon,  but DH's lobster (which was $20 extra) as well as another in our party's filet (also $20 extra) came out 10-15 minutes after everyone else's food. And the lobster was was overcooked and would have been better and cheaper at Red Lobster. Of course, the Carnival Chocolate Melting Cake stole the show. I had it every single night and it was always perfect. I usually got two scoops of ice cream - one for me and one for B. 

image.thumb.png.7620c7d58c1dd189e1da61eb1e8fb6d7.png

I think food is another area where the budget aspect of the line really shows. If you know what to expect, it's fine. It will be simple things you can get anywhere as opposed to the more upscale and higher quality types of dishes you find on other lines. You get what you pay for,  but you certainly won't go hungry. If you don't like something, try something else!  

The wait staff did a cute dance presentation during the meal. This was the kind of thing I wouldn't miss unless I was with kids who were into it. My son loved it, so of course I loved it too 🙂Here he is, enjoying every second! Bravo to the waitstaff, they always gave the shows 110%. I know it must get tiring for them, but they didn't show it one bit! 

image.thumb.png.bcf3c0c31fcacf8001ede8fcff37f441.png

There was a kids menu, however we didn't know it until our third time in the dining room as we never got one the first two times and didn't think to ask. Luckily B likes what we like and ate from our plates. 

While we didn't get to go to any of the comedy shows, others in our party did and again, it was a mixed bag. The family comedian was good, but there were some negative opinions of the late night comedian. 

Up next, (mis)adventures Nassau . . . . here's a little teaser. . someone is offered a topless massage 😄 

• Like 1

DAY 3, NASSAU 

We woke to see Nassau very close by. We had put out the little door hanger for room service the night before, and had checked the time window of 7:15-7:45, I believe.  Shortly after waking, there was an awful noise - something to do with the ship docking. I know this is common with all ships depending on where your room is, this just happened to be our luck. Room service arrived perfectly in time. There are several cold options, and no meats unless you want to pay an additional fee for a breakfast sandwich. We just opted for coffee, cereal, pastries, and milk for Bennett. Unfortunately the milk was very warm and we were concerned about giving it to him. Luckily he's pretty chill and was fine with water until we could get to the buffet. BTW, the fridge does not cool anything down to be food safe. I don't know what I would have done if I had needed to keep medicines or breastmilk/formula cool, but that fridge wouldn't have done it. I'm sure Carnival has a solution, but if that's something you require, make sure to call ahead. 

We got ready, fueled by our yummy coffee and breakfast and headed out to meet up with family. We actually ended up in the buffet to meet them, and topped up on some protein. While there, we met a delightful Head Waiter, Percival. Bennett took to him immediately. He was wonderful with B, walking him around the buffet and even standing in line with us! This is very rare for our son, he's usually shy with people he doesn't know. We felt all of the ship staff really went above and beyond. The service was great all week. Percival is just one example! 

image.thumb.png.e0d8a6e6c3650553f30412cfb14a3340.png

It turned out that it seemed like it was going to rain, so we decided to hold off on going out into Nassau until the weather was less cloudy. So, we explored the ship a bit and then headed back to the room for us to get our things ready. 

The sound had luckily stopped when we got back to our room! 

image.png.dbdad79d788f965dc2f4c92951aff977.png

image.thumb.png.65b3e6b5d90142237c73ecb1b0e89cce.png

It was really quite beautiful!

image.thumb.png.c09799a788e38d65224ed295a62d6518.png

Life calls and groceries need to be bought, but I'll be back later to talk about our trip to Paradise Island. 

• Like 2

The bottom line of the long story below is do your research, and don't trust anyone. And going with the general theme of this trip, go with the flow and be flexible. Finally,  to have fun no matter what and enjoy the beauty around you. OK, if you're up for a long story, continue on.

Because we didn't know we were going to Nassau until the day before, researching what to do there was very difficult. We had a tip to get a boat over to Paradise Island. That is the island where Atlantis is - you can't miss it! We found a couple of stands set up right off the pier that advertised glass bottom boats to Atlantis for $4 each way. They had us pay round trip, and did not charge for Bennett. I don't remember the stand, but beware. When we got over to the boat, it was definitely not glass bottomed. That was the first red flag. We were told they would drop us right at the beach. Well that didn't happen. We were dropped off at the ferry terminal and given some vague directions. We set off, all uneasy and confused and very much without a map or the help of google maps. We encountered someone trying to sell us a taxi ride right away. They warned us it was a long walk to the beach. At that point though, we didn't know who to believe and decided to just keep going in the direction we thought it was. Thank goodness we had a stroller. With the help of asking people along the way, we found the public beach after about 25 minutes of walking.

Ahh finally, the breezy lovely beach (as long as you kept your eyes forward and not on the bank full of trash!). Everyone in our party except us rented chairs and umbrellas. We knew we'd not want to stay too long, and that we'd be chasing Bennett anyway. The beach itself was just OK. There were tons of people pushing all kinds of products, etc. This is where the offer of a topless massage happened. .. A lady came over, offered one of the men in our party a massage. When he refused, she then offered to do it topless.  Mind you we had two kids under 5, and another three kids under 15 in our party so while it seems kind of funny now, it was definitely not a welcomed proposition. It also definitely smelled like weed, which is a little awkward with the kiddos, but one of the adventures of travel, I suppose. Some of you are now thinking "this is the beach for me!" To that, I say you're welcome, lol. But for those of you with kiddos, this is just a heads up. A couple in our party also got ripped off with the promise of all you can drink for a flat rate. Just beware, lots of shady business on this beach. Ugh, at this point you probably think us inexperienced and dumb! I promise we're not, but planning is everything and we just didn't get to do that. 

I had never seen the Caribbean so rough. I know that's a risk of traveling at this time of the year. It was so bad we couldn't get in the water other than just feet and legs. Even then, you would get knocked flat by the surf. It's hard to tell in this pic how rough it was. 

image.png.aee1695383095cee3742ba34081c5e9a.png

Here's another - you can see some of the crashing action of the waves! 

image.thumb.png.358fd2e3cef7a282c85841fb728e712b.png

Having access to google maps now, it seems we were at Cabbage Beach. It was about a 1.5 mile walk. There weren't any food options where we were, and we were starving and tired from the walk over. We opted to take a cab back. I was really reluctant to do this without a carseat, but the cab was a big shuttle van, and there were other children with us, including an infant. This made me feel a bit better. The shuttle itself was another $4 per person. Well worth the $8 for us to not have to walk a mile and a half, then wait who knows how long for a ferry, then take the 10 minute ferry ride, then walk back to the ship. Customs was not bad, and all in all we were back on the ship within an hour. Half of that was waiting on the shuttle van to fill up. 

We paused for a quick pic before getting back on the ship. 

image.thumb.png.ee4c7913695626a0261104a0bb30cb27.png

How nice it was to come into our freshly made up room. 

image.png.bea6a14f7eba1ee3897f8cfea21395a3.png

We were a sandy mess, so took quick showers and then headed up to the buffet because we were starving. We missed everything but the deli and Pizza pirate, but luckily that's all we needed. After the snack, Marc and Bennett went to take a nap and I got to spend some much needed time in a very empty Serenity. Ahhh. This is the adults only retreat. I didn't use the hot tub, but I got some nice time on the lounger. 

image.thumb.png.381e031b9f4799891b61ccd75a8db8de.png

So Serenity is a little tricky to find from the inside of deck 9. It's on deck 9, aft.  You have to go through the Cole Porter lounge and there is an inconspicuous door that leads you out to the area. Here's a pic so you know where to go. 

image.png.9c1a560e6775091f7f7d98c3b8c72ef8.png

Here is the door off to the right 

image.thumb.png.4252d995344e6fa25b1f5090dfed528f.png

Dinner that night was just us as the rest of our party was napping or off at the straw market. Marc enjoyed the adventurous item - something he did every night! Tonight's was rabbit, I believe. He said it was good! 

image.thumb.png.38b95401cd303897fe13ce52b539f962.png

A solid shrimp cocktail for me. 

image.thumb.png.78266dccaeac8dc4c30ff14944fbc064.png

And the flat iron steak and potato, eaten in peace with a sleeping boy on my lap 🙂

image.thumb.png.b1d4a4fc056275b1675c8d91583cbf54.png

After dinner, Bennett got three ducks! Can someone explain the duck thing on Carnival? I've heard people hide them? 

image.thumb.png.0fe640d70b98f5c28a9fd9c6545b7b23.png

Here was our position and the course we took. I happened to take a pic the night we were docked. 

image.png.763bf7ad88300f1007031c7184c9fabd.png

Night night, ducks!! I would have LOVED another day at the beach, but unfortunately, we were to be back on board by 6:30am, I believe. I hate we only got the one beach day. At least we have some good stories to tell about it. 

image.thumb.png.df5003e877712b93ba9a1147608f8c8f.png

DAY 4, DEPARTING NASSAU AND AT SEA 

We headed to breakfast in the MDR around 9am and were seated right away, in a great corner by the window. We were really pleased with the breakfast selection. Everyone ate well. 

image.thumb.png.340d81dc626ee235472b760e3a98baec.png

We enjoyed the parfait and house made granola - yum! 

image.png.b6901a38837faed8bb2d9d7303b10bb9.png

We had a very relaxed day that included a lot of exploring the ship, eating, napping, and a little shopping on board. We took advantage of the 2 for $20 tshirts for one. 

We enjoyed going up to the top decks in the evening. There is a fun golf course up top. The elevators were always out of service though, so it was a pain to get to. This seems to be a constant issue on the ship. 

image.thumb.png.2e6e2fdffc702ee6511f695b84a8d41d.png

We noticed they were clearing Serenity out for a function. Looks fun! 

image.png.6d10a811f6eb7bf5b81ec75007a11e4f.png

No pics, but our party had a blast in the kareoke venue! While I didn't get to go this trip, the piano bar is also so fun. Some others in our group also had a blast in there this trip. 

DAY 5, AT SEA 

We got up early to attend the Dr. Seuss Breakfast. We had an 8:30 reservation, and the letter that arrived at our cabin the day before said we should arrive fifteen minutes early. We arrived and the lobby was packed. There was a cute little cutout for pics, otherwise, nothing to do but wait.

image.thumb.png.4a78d79fc87536f3c0c7754767a74a79.png

Doors did not open until 8:30, so I'm not sure why we needed to arrive early. 15 minutes standing around with a 2 year old is an eternity!

We were happy to see Charo, who was always ready to dote on Bennett. The setup was very cute! 

image.thumb.png.db3ccb49d3538748624a806133cef9a0.png

We were seated at big round tables with other people and as we ordered and waited on our food, Thing One and Thing Two came out. We ended up not buying the pic, but they did have the professionals out to photograph. 

image.thumb.png.f509161a2147bc33b09122de4dc39706.png

image.thumb.png.24c78b84971b9a1f0908ab90e289717c.png

image.thumb.png.d7bacb66cb443905e19ff9e4b9a2bf4a.png

Unfortunately we ended up leaving the breakfast early. The food was fine, but Bennett wasn't in the mood for it. I think he was a bit young. We'll try again next time! 

In true cruise fashion, we ended up eating again pretty soon, haha! We enjoyed a Sea Day Brunch and although we sat at least 15 minutes without anyone waiting, it ended up being the best meal I had on the cruise. I had the huevos rancheros and I cannot recommend it more highly! The chocolate chip pancakes were also a win! 

image.thumb.png.66a234efa6bf5ec7e453f4565cc692a0.png

image.thumb.png.1b23d257a834400efe1e80ab4c9dc5e0.png

After  brunch, we headed back to the cabin to let Bennett finish out his nap. Last towel "animal" - wahhhhhh

😞

image.thumb.png.deef78545cb43539c913f5f767c99b87.png

Marc stayed with Bennett while I went out to get some sun! We were moving slow, and I don't mean just us, the ship itself! The sea was placid - completely opposite of our first night. 

image.thumb.png.f4434d164efc13f25f524f7614f8908b.png

image.thumb.png.11a066713ead6cda265f27deac92a5ae.png

Bennett and Marc made it out for one last adventure in the Water Works! 

image.thumb.png.84fce9b723dd1c3e78359e240690139d.png

image.thumb.png.73c05627d0d94315fcda8d1d357bca4e.png

image.thumb.png.455ac28f678db2a00f4a23bed5e68b2b.png

Everybody was out and soaking up the last day. 

image.thumb.png.59b3f0ce0ee5bf0c134c08b64c2f4db5.png

Dinner was good, with a fun little show enjoyed by all. 

image.png.5434034f217bb6ea06731aa7801a5f08.png

We headed back to the room to pack . .. ahh the boring life as parents, haha. Next up, debarkation. 

DAY 6, DEBARKATION 

We received a letter giving us a 7am self-service option, or an 8:30 am option where we checked our bags the night before. We opted for the first, hoping to avoid long lines and big crowds. Reality was the opposite! This is where I wish FTTF had worked, or I had known how to use it! Marc ran to the buffet around 6:15 to grab B and me some breakfast and said it was packed. That should have been our first clue. We arrived out to our forward elevator bank to find it packed with people waiting for elevators. The elevators would stop and open, but would be so packed nobody could get in. Despite our two large bags, stroller, backpacks, and baby, we decided just to try and get up the stairs. Our letter said we were supposed to go to the 8th floor to disembark, however when we got to 7, it was a mess of people lining up. We got in line there for lack of knowing exactly what else to do. I did see someone finally who worked for Carnival and asked about FTTF. They said there would be a priority line when we got off the ship - presumably at customs. The line was awful, but probably just worse because Bennett was being very difficult. Next time we'll opt to check our bags. 

When we finally made it off the ship and into the customs line, there was no priority for FTTF. When we asked a Carnival employee, she just looked at us like we were crazy. The customs line was also terrible and we witnessed what was almost an altercation when one woman was physically trying to push others out of the way to get ahead in line. 

Once in the parking deck, it was fast to pay and exit, and just like that, vacay was over and we were on the way home!! Final thoughts and comparisons coming up to finish this up. 

FINAL THOUGHTS

We had a great time, despite a lot of disappointment at missing both our ports. It did change the mood of the ship, although not our overall mood. While we will sail Carnival again, we will only go on a newer boat, and much of that is motivated by the fact that we will receive a discount from the issues we had on this sailing. I know problems can happen on any ship of any age, but I think it's more likely on the older ones like Elation. 

Things we loved and appreciated:    The service, the Hub App chat feature, the small size of the ship, the karaoke, Sea Day Brunch, photo backdrops, Guy's Burgers, Chocolate melting cake. 

Things we didn't love: Cigarette smoke smell in our cabin and flowing out from the casino, the lack of latch on our cabin door, Carnival's lack of communication regarding mechanical issues of our ship until it was absolutely unavoidable on their part, Disembarkation chaos 

Carnival is a very anything goes, much more relaxed experience than some of other cruises we've experienced. If you like a cruise where you can be casual and laid back, this is it 

• Like 2

Thanks for the review! My first three cruises were on Elation. Sure has changed a lot...especially the cabins!

I’d be pretty disappointed if my cruise got switched to overnight Nassau. I don’t have to fly to Florida to cruise to Nassau. 

You mentioned no map or google map. I use an offline maps app. I think google has an offline option but I’ve never tried it. The one I’ve been using is called maps.me. You just have to download the maps ahead of time. 

I haven’t been to paradise island yet but since you said the beach wasn’t anything special I wonder if you would’ve been better off walking to Junkanoo beach. It seemed like a much easier walk than what you went through. 

The cruising ducks is a fb group. They hide ducks on the ships. Some of them really get into it and buy 50-100 ducks to hide. Some name them. Some create passports for them. If you find one they usually want you to post a picture of it on their fb group. Keep or hide. You decide.

Edited by Saint Greg

14 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Thanks for the review! My first three cruises were on Elation. Sure has changed a lot...especially the cabins!

I’d be pretty disappointed if my cruise got switched to overnight Nassau. I don’t have to fly to Florida to cruise to Nassau. 

You mentioned no map or google map. I use an offline maps app. I think google has an offline option but I’ve never tried it. The one I’ve been using is called maps.me. You just have to download the maps ahead of time. 

I haven’t been to paradise island yet but since you said the beach wasn’t anything special I wonder if you would’ve been better off walking to Junkanoo beach. It seemed like a much easier walk than what you went through. 

The cruising ducks is a fb group. They hide ducks on the ships. Some of them really get into it and buy 50-100 ducks to hide. Some name them. Some create passports for them. If you find one they usually want you to post a picture of it on their fb group. Keep or hide. You decide.

Saint Greg, thank you so much for your response about the ducks, I was so curious. . . 

And yes, Junkanoo would have been sooo much better. I wish we'd done that! Hindsight and all . . . hopefully I'll save someone else the trouble. 

Good tip about the maps offline! 

11 hours ago, Viva_la_Vida said:

Saint Greg, thank you so much for your response about the ducks, I was so curious. . . 

And yes, Junkanoo would have been sooo much better. I wish we'd done that! Hindsight and all . . . hopefully I'll save someone else the trouble. 

Good tip about the maps offline! 

we went to Junkanoo ONCE and that was enough.  Much of the same that you experienced with trash everywhere and lots of questionable people hanging around.  We were very uncomfortable there and my husband is in law enforcement!! 

We haven’t gotten off the ship in Nassau for several years..

Edited by GTO-Girl

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 8:04 AM, ev_mybryan said:

I see you took your tot to the splash area, we have an almost 2 year old and I thought he wouldn't be allowed in any of the water areas! Is it just the pool under 3 is not allowed in? 

From what I understood on the sign, age didn't matter as long as the child was potty trained. That said, the pool was always so crowded, we never even tried to take him in there so I didn't read those signs. I hope that helps! 

Thanks for the review. I'm planning to book a cruise on Elation for April or May of 2021, specifically for the two ports you missed as I've never been to them either. Hopefully the same won't happen to us. Normally I wouldn't book just for a port, but it's going to be combined with a trip to Universal and the only other option out of Port Canaveral those months is Nassau on Liberty.