Housekeeping: unreasonable/unrealistic expectation?

Petronillus

As we were waiting in our cabin to disembark the Zuiderdam last Friday, there were men cleaning our balcony and washing down the window and drying it. We did notice dirty windows in the MDR and some with cracks in them. We expect that will be addressed when the ship goes to dry dock in December.

Thank you John for the explanation and the pictures.

• Thanks 1

Bought up on the Bay of Fundy.   One day you could have had your windows squeaky clean (and it takes a LOT of work to get them clean) and after a windy day or storm they look dull and dingy.  The salt air causes windows and metal to get a film or rust very easy.   Cars in the area I was brought up in usually had rust on them by the time they were 3 years old.   Sand and paint a wrought iron railing - rust shows through in about 3-4 months......

Given that and the sea state/weather, it wouldn't take much for the windows to appear to be really dirty.  (and if there was a cruise before the one you have commented on that was rough or in ports that don't allow cleaning, then that is maybe why they were "dirty" when you boarded.  I would far sooner try to look out a dirty window than to think some crew member was out there risking his life and something might happen.

Edited by Shih-tzu
added phrase and fat fingers - little keyboard
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Shih-tzu said:

Given that and the sea state/weather, it wouldn't take much for the windows to appear to be really dirty.  (and if there was a cruise before the one you have commented on that was rough or in ports that don't allow cleaning, then that is maybe why they were "dirty" when you boarded.  I would far sooner try to look out a dirty window than to think some crew member was out there risking his life and something might happen.

Two fair points. I'd be surprised if HAL doesn't keep tabs on the mood of these posts. My suggestion to HAL: if in fact weather conditions and/or port restrictions kept the crew from cleaning the windows over the duration of the cruise, then the captain should have explained that in his periodic updates. Alternatively, a note of explanation should have been included in the daily "When & Where" flyer dropped off in the cabin. Something along the lines of: "We know that the window glass throughout the ship has not been up to our usual standard, and here's why . . ."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On our last cruise we had an outside cabin. The weather wasn't very good and over a couple of days the windows got so dirty we couldn't see out of them. So we went down to the front desk and told them the problem. After a few minutes the manager came out and said not a problem, we've changed your room status to an inside cabin!

Naaa, just kidding. 

• Haha 4