Beverage Cards 'Reloadable'?

msmayor

It's been a couple of years since my last HAL cruise.  We're embarking on Eurodam in less than two weeks and I just purchased a beverage card to be delivered to our stateroom at embarkation.

I can't recall if these are re-loadable.  Once we use all the value, can we place more on it by charging to our onboard account?  If so, do we have to re-load with the original value of the card or can we add any amount we want?

Thanks in advance for the help!

When one beverage card is exhausted, you just purchase another. I don't know if the use the same card, or issue a new one, as I have always purchased my second card in a different amount. The new card is charged to your cabin account. 

It works the same way, and that's all that matters to me! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RuthC said:

When one beverage card is exhausted, you just purchase another. I don't know if the use the same card, or issue a new one, as I have always purchased my second card in a different amount. The new card is charged to your cabin account. 

It works the same way, and that's all that matters to me! 

That's perfect Ruth - thank you so much!  

On our last 10-night cruise we used two larger-denomination cards over the course of the week.  I'm planning to purchase a wine package on board so that may alter the need for two 'full' cards, so I only bought one in advance.  Good to know I can purchase on board, so maybe we'll go with the $50 cards as our 'reload'.   I just love how convenient they are.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

If there is anything left on your Beverage Card at the end of the cruise, it will be refunded back to your credit card.

Would we need to 'cash out' the card at Guest Services, or does that happen automatically?  

• Like 1

Can someone explain the value of a beverage card?  Do people buy them in advance just so when they get on it isn’t part of their final onboard account?  Is there something that makes it easier to use onboard rather than using your regular ship card?  

11 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

Can someone explain the value of a beverage card?  Do people buy them in advance just so when they get on it isn’t part of their final onboard account?  Is there something that makes it easier to use onboard rather than using your regular ship card?

Some people do pre-purchase beverage cards to help spread expenses over time. The cards also allow others (children, friends, etc) give as gifts. Our children give them to us at Christmas and birthdays - something they know we can use and we appreciate them.

35 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

Is there something that makes it easier to use onboard rather than using your regular ship card?  

I think there is, which is why I purchase them. 

When I purchase the card, one item appears on my account; sometimes there's a second charge for a second card, or if I have to use my cabin card on the last night. Still, not a lot of items on my account. 
If I were to use my cabin card to purchase drinks, every single charge would appear on my final statement. That's a LOT of items to reconcile on that final morning, especially since I am busy with final packing, and eating breakfast. The amount of money is the same, but the amount of time expended is significantly less when using a beverage card. 

If you purchase the card in advance, your name appears on it. If the steward is busy, seeing your name on the card when it's given back is reassuring that you got your card, and not someone else's. 

• Like 1