Mexico bound...but I'm newly pregnant and worried

niciediva007

So, about 3 weeks ago we found out we have another little munchkin on the way! :classic_love:  Our third! Eek. 

My problem is that our cruise leaves Saturday for Cozumel and Progreso, and now I'm worried that it's risky to get off the boat because of the Zika virus.  According to CDC, the risk of catching it isn't as high as it once was, but it does exist. Zika is extremely dangerous to cooking babes.  The risk is quantified as being the same as the continental US, including Florida; however, some experts believe cases are being underreported lending itself to a false sense of comfort.  There is no data available that is without error.

My OB/GYN has actually recommended to not go, but I think that's a little overkill as there is no active outbreak. I am however, contemplating not getting off the ship and I have purchased 4 mosquito prevention products (Permethrin, OFF with DEET, mosquito incense, and CUTTER wipes), just to be safe. 

I also realize that October is the second wettest month in the year for Mexico. 

I am wondering whether anyone knows if Cozumel/Progreso is experiencing any mosquito surges right now, or does it feel relatively normal? I wouldn't say I'm prone to mosquito bites, but it only takes one infected to cause a problem.  If they're swarming, I'll definitely avoid hitting land.  I may just avoid it either way, but wanted to see if anyone had a feel for this in the region. 

Congratulations! 😎

Except for when we visited the small Mayan ruins on Cozumel, I do not recall ever having issues with mosquitos during our many visits to the islands.  Stick to the port area, downtown, and maybe one of the beach clubs (Paradise beach, etc.) and you should be okay.

Progreso is a very undeveloped area, and it does have standing water in lagoons, etc, so I would not leave the port area.  Use the Deet.

Cozumel on the other hand is developed and they regularly spray for mosquitos at all resorts.  Plus the constant breeze keeps the mosquitos away.   I would stay out of the jungle, and still use the Deet regardless.  

Mosquitos are most active at dawn and dusk, but can be anywhere wet and dark.  

• 2 weeks later...