Eurodam vs other hal ships

cruisehome

5 minutes ago, cruisehome said:

saw a cruise I am thinking of taking because of the itinerary

how does the Eurodam compare to the other hal ships

thanks carol

Compared to her Signature Class sister and her Vista class older cousins, I'd say she's pretty much the same.  

1 hour ago, cruisehome said:

how does the Eurodam compare to the other hal ships

middle-aged: lacking some of the features of the Pinnacle class but having more than the Vista and S and R classes.  We like both the Signature ships.

Edited by catl331

• 2 weeks later...

This will be our third cruise on the Eurodam so we obviously like her. We have been on many other HAL ships.

Carol..just noticed..I have been on the old Queen of Bermuda!!!!! Fun ship when I was little!! Those would have been my first "cruises""

Just did a 28 day cruise on the Eurodam in March 2019.  My only negative is the Lido Pool area cabanas.   They take up almost the whole starboard side of the Lido pool area with these "pay to sit" cabanas.   The Eurodam is a larger ship than the Vista class ships.   At lunch time, when you are walking around the Lido pool area with your tray of Dive-In burgers, looking for a place to sit and eat your lunch, you see all of these mostly empty cabanas.   Don't even think of sliding in one to wolf down your burger, because an attendant will be on your case asking for your key card to charge you.   

The situation wouldn't be so bad if all the readers and sleepers would find another place on the ship to read or sleep, but only during the very busy lunch hour.   One person will tie up a whole table, with their feet on one chair, and bags and towels on the other 2.    If you ask to sit, just for lunch, you get this look that says, "get lost".   A few people are kind enough to move their stuff off of a chair so I can sit and enjoy my lunch for 20 minutes, but that is not very common.

Other than that, the Eurodam is great, no other issues.

Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are our favorites!!! First a wonderful promenade where you still can relax with loungers and the great Tamarind and PG!Yes they are older and for us unfortunately we will have to be on the Koningsdam in 2021 for our itinerary at our home in San  Diego doing Hawaii/ Mexico 24 days! Wish it was on another HAL ship. The promenade s on NS and Koningsdam are narrow no room with a lounger . Sure others might like the new Pinnacle Class ships but not for us. 
we also like Maasdam much smaller too!

the signature suites are big and love the Neptunes.

Did the inaugural in2010 on Nieuw Amsterdam been on her 4 times and Eurodam 4 also! Enjoy her she is great!

go up to silk den next to Tamarind and enjoy cocktails and a magnificent view! We have eaten appetizers in there as dinner and it was wonderful! 
Denise😊

• Like 1

One way around the crowded Lido Deck where we truly could find no place to sit at lunch is to purchase a Retreat Cabana.  Yes, it's expensive for the week, but we purposely booked a lower category cabin, either an inside (huge cabins on Deck One) or an outside on the same deck.  With the money we saved, we bought the cabana package.  

I highly recommend the Retreat (not to be confused with the Lido Cabana spaces) because you have a butler who will wait on you hand and foot.  On my most recent cruise aboard Oosterdam (yes, different class ship but same idea with the Retreat), our steward would bring us breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack which included champagne.  The Retreat gives you a designated place to sit; it's quiet; the service is amazing.  Be aware that the ship will close this area if the winds are too high.  You won't receive a refund for any unused days; however, we've never had this happen on any of our cruises.  Just be aware that it can happen.

The menu offers selections from the Lido Marketplace, so you don't have to contend with lines or crowds.  Our steward even offered to order/pick up Dive In orders or fetch ice cream from the Lido, so we really didn't have to do anything for lunch/snacks but sit and wait for our requests to be fulfilled.  You will also receive bottled waters and fruit.  You will be totally pampered and spoiled.  If you want to dip a toe in the pool, it's steps away if you take the outside stairs down to the Lido Pool.

If this idea appeals to you, order before your cruise to avoid disappointment.  These cabanas can sell out prior to the cruise.  Enjoy.

As for Eurodam, it's been at least 5 years since we've cruised on this ship; however, she is similar to her sister, Nieuw Amsterdam.  Both have Tamarind, a unique Pan Asian restaurant, which is well worth the money.