Cruise on Navigator completely changed for March 2021

ARDXXX

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

I did not bring this up, I responded to a poster who stated the ships were American owned which is incorrect.  Actually the company registration and the flagging of this ships has quite a bt to do with the operation of the  company and the ships.  If it didn't matter, why would companies and ships be registered in countries other than the home office location??

Companies register themselves and their ships in countries that have favorable business and shipping laws and rules to make business decisions, financial transactions, the actual running of the ships, etc. easier to transact.  As to putting these issues 99th on a top 10 top issues list , that would be impossible.  For sure these issues are in the top 10 on the list if not close to number 1.

The nationality of the top executives is not significant at all as to be a top executive of a company doing business internationally they have to understand the needs/desires of all customers/potential customers foreign or domestic.

Not going to argue but I disagree with you.  No one brings up the ownership of Regent except in passing,  This is not a subject that most passengers think about.   

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not going to argue but I disagree with you.  No one brings up the ownership of Regent except in passing,  This is not a subject that most passengers think about.   

I for one care about ownership.  If they were US owned they would be able to do a total US cruise without going to a foreign port.  Every once in awhile that type of cruise would be great but impossible with foreign ownership. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

I for one care about ownership.  If they were US owned they would be able to do a total US cruise without going to a foreign port.  Every once in awhile that type of cruise would be great but impossible with foreign ownership. 

Interesting point eg however in the case of your thoughts, it is not the ownership that stops having a total US Cruise it is how the is ship flagged.  Right now only one Ocean cruise ship sailing under a US Flag and that is the Pride of Hawaii which interestingly is owned by NCL under NCLH which is also the owner of Regent.

One huge difference in this case of a US Flagged Cruise Ship is that the crew has to be all or almost all US crew which is quite different from all of the other Ocean Cruise Ships which are crewed almost completely by non-US crew.  So, the company can be registered in any country however the ship has to be US Registered in order to cruise from one US Port to another without abiding by the Jones Act which specifies which other non US Port the ship must visit before another US ship.

Thus are the intricacies of location  ownership of the company and flag of the ship that perhaps more people than previously  thought care about. 

21 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Interesting point eg however in the case of your thoughts, it is not the ownership that stops having a total US Cruise it is how the is ship flagged.  Right now only one Ocean cruise ship sailing under a US Flag and that is the Pride of Hawaii which interestingly is owned by NCL under NCLH which is also the owner of Regent.

One huge difference in this case of a US Flagged Cruise Ship is that the crew has to be all or almost all US crew which is quite different from all of the other Ocean Cruise Ships which are crewed almost completely by non-US crew.  So, the company can be registered in any country however the ship has to be US Registered in order to cruise from one US Port to another without abiding by the Jones Act which specifies which other non US Port the ship must visit before another US ship.

Thus are the intricacies of location  ownership of the company and flag of the ship that perhaps more people than previously  thought care about. 

Thanks for the clarification.  I didn’t know there was a difference between ownership and flagged.  I can’t imagine a mostly US crew.  In that case, I’m glad regent is not US flagged. 

Edited by rcandkc
Spelling

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

I was going to say pretty much what rallydave said but wanted to add that U.S. policies, Minimum Wage and other Labor Laws would apply.  So, for obvious reasons, cruise lines do not want their ships to be registered in the U.S. (and which is why I feel that it is a non-issue).  I thought that most cruisers were aware of this but apparently not.  You may notice the next time that a Regent ship makes a stop in the U.S. that things are slightly different.  They suddenly have packets of non-dairy creamer available (yuck) and sometimes their silverware are wrapped rather than set out on tables.  It is a bit of a performance trying to ready a ship when it visits the U.S.    

When a ship visits a US port after a period of time, the Coast Guard inspection procedures go into full drive.  

We did a Trans-Atlantic on Cunard's Queen Victoria a few years ago.  It had been a while since the ship had docked in the US.  Our first port of call after crossing from Europe was Port Canaveral, an overnight stay and then on to Fort Lauderdale.  We had an in-depth ship's tour on the crossing.

The First Officer explained to us what they were doing to get ready for the inspection upon arrival in the US.  Sure enough, we saw all kinds of interesting activity during the crossing and shore stay.  We even saw one of the maintenance staff climbing one of the radio towers to adjust an antennae fastening that one of the Coast Guard inspectors pointed out.  While we were still in Ponte Delgada, the staff was doing man overboard drills in questionable weather.  This was part of their preparation, too.  The staff had emptied most of the food storage for the inspections.  It was a lot of work.  The safety officer walked around with a deep frown most of the time.  The staff stayed out of his way.  It was interesting after being told what was about to happen.  

They passed, but it was a lot of work.