Cruise on Navigator completely changed for March 2021

ARDXXX

Just been notifed that our Cruise from Los Angeles to Miami on 17th March 2021 has been completely changed. It will now be from Lima to Miami on 19th March giving us only 14 nights instead of 16 ( 17 counting the night in hotel in LA ), The only port that we are keeping is the disembarkation port of Miami!

Apparently it is because California is refusing to take the Navigator because of emmision problems!

I noticed my Cruise was not on the Regent site last week so phoned them and was reassured that nothing had been changed. Not a very trustworthy company.

They have said that they will "compensate" me by giving me the amount that the missing two nights on board cost on a pro rata basis, and that will only be for a future Cruise Credit! - ie they are not going to give me anything for the entire upheaval, or I can cancel all together. Any thoughts would be welcome, thanks.

from another post where there were changes. The future cruise credit can be used on this cruise as you haven't paid for it yet. If you like the new itinerary, do it otherwise either cancel or transfer to something else.

• Like 1

ARDXXX:

Go to the second page of Regent Threads.  Review the "Update Tokyo to Vancouver 2021" Thread.  Similar situation faced by those of us who signed up for an Explorer segment which was subsequently revised to shave one day off (early arrival at Vancouver).  

Your situation is way-more radical as to ports of call as well as length.  Way-more.    

Initially, guests were advised the prorated credit could be applied to a future cruise.  We would also be given $250.00 per person in On Board Credits for the 2021 Tokyo-Vancouver segment.  The referenced Thread progressed in pushback to the point that Jason Okeefe intervened to state Regent will prorate the cruise fare to reflect the one-day change; and that this "credit" would be applied to our cruise.  

Also, hope you have an experienced Travel Agent (TA) who is familiar with Regent.  Intervention by TAs on behalf of affected Regent clients can be a significant "force multiplier" as we say in the Military to affect a change to your benefit.

GOARMY!

We are on the Papeete to Los Angeles, have been asked to move to the Papeete to Lima via a letter.  I do have a "believe it or not" story on the offer.  However my TA is working with Regent right now that.  We'll see what happens before I say anything negative, let's give Regent a chance to make it right before we go in that direction.

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Gotta love Cali.

Of all the states I’ve previously lived in, Cali is the one I miss the least...

Seriously?!? Don't think you want to go there.  Unless you are only referring to Southern California.

Edited by Fairfield Nana
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fairfield Nana said:

Seriously?!? Don't think you want to go there.  Unless you are only referring to Southern California.

Good point...I lived near Sacramento but even so, I tend to lump the entire state together.

Things sure have changed there (at least SoCal and the Bay Area) in the last few years.

• Like 1

As a former “Angelino” (name for people living in L.A.), I cannot wrap my head around people wanting to live there after retirement.  The best thing, IMHO, that a young person 20 years ago could do it buy a home and stay there until you retire and then get the heck out of there.

In terms of Lima, it has been mentioned previously that many people believe that norovirus on the ships that go to South America are from Lima.  I have spoken to the crew about it and they feel that visitors to Lima that stay in a hotel and eat in local restaurants, get sick - do not know it until they are on the ship and, by then, it has spread.  Not sure that this is true but it is worth checking out.

3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Previous cruise is also affected.

Was: 16 nights, Papeete to LA, via Hawaii

Now: 18 nights, Papeete to Lima, via Easter Island

I would consider that an improvement. Not going to LA is always a plus. And stopping at Easter Island is an even better plus.

Edited by SWFLAOK
added info
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

I would consider that an improvement. Not going to LA is always a plus. And stopping at Easter Island is an even better plus.

“Almost” agree with you.  However, most cruises that are scheduled to go to Easter Island are not able to get off of the ship.  If you are lucky, the locals wiill board the ship and provide entertainment.

If I had to board in Lima, I would cancel the cruise.  Having said what I did in a previous post, we were looking forward to the Splendor cruise when it was scheduled to go from L.A.  Now it is leaving from San Diego.  It seems as if Regent is making quite a few itinerary changes.

The second cruise that we booked on Regent was an Anniversary cruise from Barcelona to Venice in early June on Voyager. I had never been to Europe before, and I was really looking forward to this itinerary. We has booked quite a while in advance, which is what makes me more comfortable since I'm a planner. Quite a while in advance, RSSC notified us that our cruise was no longer Barcelona to Venice; it was Athens to Istanbul. We had no desire to do that itinerary. Our TA was able to rebook us on Barcelona to Venice in July, without losing any money. Since we live in South Florida, we were able to enjoy that itinerary in July, but many of those onboard could not enjoy the excursions due to the high temperatures.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

“Almost” agree with you.  However, most cruises that are scheduled to go to Easter Island are not able to get off of the ship.  If you are lucky, the locals wiill board the ship and provide entertainment.............

Your confusing Easter island with Pitcairns Island, which is on this itinerary. There is no shoreX at Pitcairn, and as you said, the locals will come aboard with souvenirs, if the seas are not too rough. Other than that the ship will circle Pitcairn island once then leave.

Easter island has several great shore excursion to see the fantastic Moai. It is a must see destination.  Did this in 2015? on the Mariner. PPT - BA

J

5414262685_2b35803f5f_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are the itineraries for the two cruises affected by this change:

Nav_01_03_21.thumb.jpg.64de774ae93e904f01a25b2b1637d13b.jpg

Nav_19_03_21.thumb.jpg.9d4765c9d32f3e896c5c308fb806aa09.jpg

Now similar to the Navigator itineraries in April 2020.

The first cruise (Mar 01, 2021) looks to be a reasonable itinerary and a good price as well (looking at UK prices ......... but of course flight costs for anything comfortable will be very high)

13 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In terms of Lima, it has been mentioned previously that many people believe that norovirus on the ships that go to South America are from Lima.

Noro came aboard our ship in Lima. Just anecdotal. We took a market and food tour. With passengers on the tour behaving the way they did, I am not surprised.

The large food market is in Callao, Lima's port city, and it is VERY clean. If the tour is offered, I can really recommend it. We had fruit samples, bring your own wipes for your hands and a fork or spoon for pulpy fruit. 

14 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In terms of Lima, it has been mentioned previously that many people believe that norovirus on the ships that go to South America are from Lima.  I have spoken to the crew about it and they feel that visitors to Lima that stay in a hotel and eat in local restaurants, get sick - do not know it until they are on the ship and, by then, it has spread.  Not sure that this is true but it is worth checking out.

Can't actually say I'm an expert, but as a retired Airline Pilot I have laid over in Lima a number of times and found it to be a wonderful city with wonderful and friendly people.  And i never came home sick.  As Floridiana said, norovirus is probably more related to personal hygiene than actual world location.  Then again, I'm pretty lucky and tend to have a good immune system.  So maybe I was just lucky.  😎

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Thanks 1

Agree that Lima is beautiful and that the people are nice.  I’ve just heard so many stories of people bringing illnesses onboard that I would not want to spend the night at a hotel prior to the cruise.  As far as Lima as a port or going on Regent excursions, I would not be concerned.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:35 AM, ARDXXX said:

Apparently it is because California is refusing to take the Navigator because of emmision problems!

18 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Well gee, no one is talking about the emission standards that Navigator has apparently failed.  Anyone got any information on this?

I wonder if this may be related to the transition of vessels having to use electrical shore power when at berth in California ports, rather than burning diesel fuel?  Perhaps Navigtor has not been retrofitted yet?

Loved Lima.  We spent about three days there after our cruise, had private guides and a wonderful time.

And BTW, *our* norovirus bout happened before we reached Peru, in fact we were in port with Explorer in Manta (going southbound), and weren't allowed aboard because of it, so it got onboard either in Colombia or one of the islands prior to that.

4 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

I wonder if this may be related to the transition of vessels having to use electrical shore power when at berth in California ports, rather than burning diesel fuel?  Perhaps Navigtor has not been retrofitted yet?

Wonder if Navigator will ever be retrofitted. She is still a beautiful ship but is a money pit. I cannot imagine how much $$$ Regent has it into the ship and she still needs another dry dock.  I bet that Regent has put more money 💰 into Navigator to keep it going than any other Regent ship (and she is their smallest and oldest ship). 

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree that Lima is beautiful and that the people are nice.  I’ve just heard so many stories of people bringing illnesses onboard that I would not want to spend the night at a hotel prior to the cruise.  As far as Lima as a port or going on Regent excursions, I would not be concerned.

Lima really has very nice hotels, some with many stars.  I think it's really  personal hygiene than actual world location life Papaflamingo stated.  Also how "YOU" handle yourself during any stay, anyplace.

• Like 1