Shore trips Norwegian Fjords

Hilaryb55

Hi 

I am going in Iona to Norwegian Fjords Sept 2020.  My first ever cruise so total novice at all, this As I am guessing it will be quite cold I will be wearing my jacket but what do I need to take ashore eg umbrella gloves etc. Also as long has it has a lock in it is a small rucksack safe to use for shore trips or would I  be better with a across body bag? 

Layers are the answer for the Fjords. 

We have been caught out by beautiful sunshine as well as snowstorms, so gloves, brolly etc are a good idea. 

We use a rucksack for going ashore without issues. 

Norway feels like a safe place, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious. 

The Fjords are stunning and the ports are beautiful so be prepared to take it all in. 

Have a fantastic time, I am sure you will. 

Andy 

In September, if you're sticking to the southern half of Norway (as most cruises do) then it shouldn't be bitterly cold, and you probably won't need gloves unless you have poor circulation in your hands. Temperatures are likely to be similar to what you'd expect at that time of year in northern Scotland. You'll probably need a jacket or at least a woolly, and are almost sure to have rain at some point.

And in addition to the layers of clothing remember the smelling salts for the first time you try and buy something in Norway - if you have not been there before then be prepared as it is very, very expensive.

It is also very safe and friendly so using a rucksack has never been a problem for us.

There is a handy section here on CC for port information if you want an idea of what to do in each port.

The folks on here are a helpful bunch so just ask about anything you are unsure of and someone will be able to help.

And to add to Eglesbrech's advice - and thinking back to your security concerns:

Norway is almost cash-less - if you have a Halifax Clarity Credit Card then you need only a little cash - just in case.  Even the toilets by the Tourist Information in Bergen needed a CC to get in!  The exchange rate is better than the High Street and no charges for transactions including cash withdrawals.  Pay up as soon as you get home and avoid any interest charges.   Money from an ATM will accrue interest from the day of withdrawal but will be minimal if you clear it as soon as you're home. But as mentioned, everything is very expensive in Norway.   

I should endorse what others have said about feeling very safe in Norway.  I just have a Kipling style bag (with zips) which I wear across my body and have never had concerns.  A CC if stolen can be quickly cancelled - make sure you have a note of card details and emergency cancellation numbers in your safe in the cabin. 

Research your ports of call, including getting advice on here if needed and try to get an idea of what you want to do in each place.  As a newbie, the idea of DiY may feel daunting, but it very easy to explore independently in the main and as these ports will be new to you, there may well be plenty to do without paying a lot for excursions - unless there's something you think is 'must do'.  Excursions too are pricey in Norway.  

But it's a fabulous - absolutely spectacular scenery.  I hope you'll enjoy Norway as much as we do and also your first experience of cruising.  We started with a week in Norway and it's become quite an expensive hobby!!!😀

Thank you for your responses very useful yes I have been warned about the expense  I think I will be going on some of the organized port trips  as it is for my 65 th and my sons & sister have offered to pay as my birthday presents. 

2 hours ago, Hilaryb55 said:

Thank you for your responses very useful yes I have been warned about the expense  I think I will be going on some of the organized port trips  as it is for my 65 th and my sons & sister have offered to pay as my birthday presents. 

How lovely!  Enjoy! 😉

Hilary we had a great trip to Norway in May on Brittania we had a lovely bus tour in Olden £20-25 right next to the ship taking you up the valley, very picturesque with a few photo stops then back to the ship, about a mile before we got of at a small (shopping mall) with a small supermarket. Then a lovely walk back. Stavanger you berth right in the harbour with a short walk to the centre. In Bergen we did the 24 hrs bus tour around the town with audio prompts get of when you want...or stay on all day...great value...hope this helps...Fred....