SAN Pedro car rental near port

XSYTD

I have read that both Hertz and Enterprise are close. Anyone know the address for the Hertz 

location? Is there a shuttle available to the rental office at the pier?
Is it at a walking distance?

The Enterprise office is co-located with the Crowne Plaza, and Hertz is right across 6th street from the CP. Google Street View calls it .8 miles, 15 minute walk. Best to check with both outlets, as there are reports that their operating hours are somewhat restricted.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Enterprise is very close.  But I would not want to walk it in the rain with luggage.  Please note it is not across the street.  It is a good 15 minute walk  They do have a shuttle.  We used it in January to get to Ruby Princess. .  Very efficient.  But they now have a nasty drop off fee if you are renting from LAX and wanting to drop off at Enterprise on 6th Street at the Crown Plaza.   We are not paying $50 US dollar to drop off a car when the rental is only $36 per day (yeah, we have a corporate rate) but still absolutely horrible drop off fee.  Hertz is also charging the drop off fee. So what used to be wonderful is now nasty.   Making me rethink my Princess 2021 Royal Cruise.    Cannot do anything about my 2020 January Royal Cruise but corporate greed comes into play and I really do not like it.

I have confirmed twice with Enterprise and actually spoke to the location right there at San Pedro and they are sad to report that yes, there is a drop off fee now for anyone who rents at LAX and drops off at the San Pedro location.  A two day car rental for $175.00 USD. Please that is absurd.   Earlier this year, we paid $75 total for two days.   They tell me that it was an Enterprise corporate decision.  We pay enough for car rentals (we are Canadian and have to pay in US dollars) so we are so very not interested in having to pay an additional $100 dollars US to drop off any vehicle at that location.  Sad, as that location was very convenient and has a shuttle to the pier.      We rented from Enterprise earlier this year in January and used that very same location to drop off our SUV and there was no drop off charge at all.  Now there is.  The same goes for Budget, Hertz, and Avis in Long Beach on Ocean Drive at or near the ICB Building.  I checked them all.  So I am pretty sure I have my facts straight.  Absurd rates.  The thing is most people do not ask if there is a drop off fee, they simply ask for the daily rate and take that rate at face value.  I, however, know from my previous January 2019 rental that the rate given to me is double the price I paid in January and so when I question them on it, oh, there is a drop off fee now.  And if one company is doing it, they all want in on the same action.    So, I am renting and returning to LAX where there is no drop off fee and a great rate.  And I will pay for the Princess transfer to the ship and still have money to spare.     

I just booked an Enterprise Rent A Car, LAX pick up, San Pedro drop off

• Vehicle

• time & distance 3 Day(s) @ $ 41.00 / day$ 123.00

• Unlimited Mileage Included

• Extras

• -

• Taxes & Fees

• AIRPORT CONCESSION FEE 11.11 PCT (11.11%)$ 14.06

• CUSTOMER FACILITY CHARGE 9.00/DAY$ 27.00

• TOURISM COMMISSION REC 3.50 PCT (3.5%)$ 4.31

• VEHICLE LICENSE RECOVERY FEE$ 3.51

• SALES TAX (9.5%)$ 13.02

Estimated Total

$184.90

No drop off fee. I even booked in 2020 in case it was a policy change effective January 1.

9 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I just booked an Enterprise Rent A Car, LAX pick up, San Pedro drop off

• Vehicle

• time & distance 3 Day(s) @ $ 41.00 / day$ 123.00

• Unlimited Mileage Included

• Extras

• -

• Taxes & Fees

• AIRPORT CONCESSION FEE 11.11 PCT (11.11%)$ 14.06

• CUSTOMER FACILITY CHARGE 9.00/DAY$ 27.00

• TOURISM COMMISSION REC 3.50 PCT (3.5%)$ 4.31

• VEHICLE LICENSE RECOVERY FEE$ 3.51

• SALES TAX (9.5%)$ 13.02

Estimated Total

$184.90

No drop off fee. I even booked in 2020 in case it was a policy change effective January 1.

If you book with Hertz, you’ll get pretty much the same thing with a minor difference in the daily rate.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:12 PM, pink845 said:

Yes, Enterprise is very close.  But I would not want to walk it in the rain with luggage.  Please note it is not across the street.  It is a good 15 minute walk 

Enterprise is about a 2 minute walk and Hertz is about 3 or 4 minutes.

21 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Enterprise is about a 2 minute walk and Hertz is about 3 or 4 minutes.

Interesting. We've done that walk a number of times, and the distance from the Enterprise outlet at the Crowne Plaza, as well as the Hertz outlet across the street, to either pier at San Pedro, is about a 15 minute walk. Google Maps, in "pedestrian" mode clearly shows the distance to be 0.7 miles.

image.png.c0145d281dbe57ffcbf0b14a9caa5595.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Interesting. We've done that walk a number of times, and the distance from the Enterprise outlet at the Crowne Plaza, as well as the Hertz outlet across the street, to either pier at San Pedro, is about a 15 minute walk. Google Maps, in "pedestrian" mode clearly shows the distance to be 0.7 miles.

image.png.c0145d281dbe57ffcbf0b14a9caa5595.png

I see where we are discussing two different issues.  I thought you were talking about the distance from the Crowne Plaza, not the cruise pier.😃

Well, ScottcaA075,   Your the lucky one!!  Your dates in January do not incur a drop off fee while my dates do incur one.  Enterprise confirms that there are certain dates and certain cars which are subject to drop off fees for rentals from LAX with drop off at San Pedro.  For myself, incurring a drop off of $100 is not in my budget.  We can close off this topic I do believe.    

11 hours ago, pink845 said:

Well, ScottcaA075,   Your the lucky one!!  Your dates in January do not incur a drop off fee while my dates do incur one.  Enterprise confirms that there are certain dates and certain cars which are subject to drop off fees for rentals from LAX with drop off at San Pedro.  For myself, incurring a drop off of $100 is not in my budget.  We can close off this topic I do believe.    

Okay, I can buy that "certain dates and certain cars" are subject to drop off fees, but I got from your earlier posts it was a blanket policy.

Enterprise will also charge more for the daily rate when there is a different drop off location.  This happened over this weekend. The rate to pick up and drop off at the airport in Hartford was $20 less than the rate I was quoted to drop off at Logan in Boston, so no line item fee, but they got me on the rate  as those were our travel plans.   So it pays to check various options if you can. 

1 hour ago, knbcruisers said:

Enterprise will also charge more for the daily rate when there is a different drop off location.  This happened over this weekend. The rate to pick up and drop off at the airport in Hartford was $20 less than the rate I was quoted to drop off at Logan in Boston, so no line item fee, but they got me on the rate  as those were our travel plans.   So it pays to check various options if you can. 

It actually depends on where they need cars. In the booking I did above, the daily rate with a San Pedro drop off was $41. The same exact dates with LAX pick up, LAX drop off had a daily rate of $73.