Just off Sun....any questions?

2cmu92

Did you have any trouble making or changing reservations for the specialty restaurants, once on board? The dates/times I am interested in booking are not available online so I plan to go directly to guest services once I board and try to adjust them. 

1 hour ago, hawk1972 said:

I don't have any questions right now but I hope you enjoyed your cruise. We will be on the Sun for the first time next August on a 12-day cruise to Alaska.

I’m guessing I’m with you on that same cruise with you next August. We sailed the Sun this past August as well. She’s in good shape for her age after the refurbishment. Simple but nice.

4 minutes ago, kris816 said:

Did you have any trouble making or changing reservations for the specialty restaurants, once on board? The dates/times I am interested in booking are not available online so I plan to go directly to guest services once I board and try to adjust them. 

We actually did not dine in any specialty....but it appeared there was plenty of room at all times in all of them.  I never saw more than a few tables at any one time 

Just now, tallnthensome said:

I’m guessing I’m with you on that same cruise with you next August. We sailed the Sun this past August as well. She’s in good shape for her age after the refurbishment. Simple but nice.

Well said....simple, but nice.   Service was great, food was good overall.  Had a great time - my only complaint (and I hate to even say complaint) was that the sports bar could not keep its satellite reception.   Games would freeze and remain like that for a couple hours.   Still a great ship overall!

7 minutes ago, 2cmu92 said:

Well said....simple, but nice.   Service was great, food was good overall.  Had a great time - my only complaint (and I hate to even say complaint) was that the sports bar could not keep its satellite reception.   Games would freeze and remain like that for a couple hours.   Still a great ship overall!

I wish they served food before 5:30 in the sports bar. I don’t know why they don’t have food for lunch ..... that one I don’t get ..... 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

We are on the August 13-25 sailing. We have sailed on the Jade and Jewel. We like the smaller ships. I haven't found a roll call for this sailing yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hawk1972 said:

We are on the August 13-25 sailing. We have sailed on the Jade and Jewel. We like the smaller ships. I haven't found a roll call for this sailing yet.

We are on with you ...... Funny, I haven’t even looked for the roll call yet and normally I do and am pretty involved. 

1 hour ago, kris816 said:

We just disembarked today also.  We were on 7 night then 5 night b2b.  Between dining package perks and platinum vouchers, we had specialty dining 9 of 12 nights.  There were fewer people in specialty restaurants on this five night cruise than the 7 nighter, but never know about yours.  They do indeed save dining times for on board reservations.

If you arrive at the terminal fairly early, the fastest way to make specialty dining, it seemed, was to download the current app.  Once boarding begins with wheelchair or Haven (even if you are still in the terminal), activate your app as if on board with free Wi-Fi. Restaurant reservation times will be released then (or shortly thereafter, retry if so).  You can make them on your smart phone.  (It worked so well for me...From now on, I am confident I will be in the terminal before boarding begins, I won’t bother with suboptimal precruise reservations that I will later have to change; I’ll just do them on the app)

If you arrive a bit later or do not/ cannot use the app, on our cruises they were handling restaurant reservations in FourSeasons (deck 5 Atrium) on day one, so head there soon for best selection of times.

Edited by Starry Eyes

52 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

We are on with you ...... Funny, I haven’t even looked for the roll call yet and normally I do and am pretty involved. 

We just reserved this cruise last week. Maybe too early for much roll call action. 

21 minutes ago, kapcruiser said:

Is it ala carte or buffet?

Buffet with an action station....wraps,waffles,etc.  Pizza also served here each day.

3 hours ago, cecil89 said:

I hope u had a great cruise.   Do u have the dailies?   And any pics of your room.

thanks

I actually did not take any pics of the stateroom....I really disconnected and put my phone away...so very few pics.   We were in 9141 - sideways interior.   Great room - lots of space and quiet.  I set the dailies aside, and then ended up leaving them.   Plenty to do...and plenty not to do - whatever you prefer.   We attended many of the game shows in the Bliss nightclub - they were very entertaining.  I thought the Steel Drum band was also excellent.

• Like 1

How was disembarkation in Port Canaveral? Did you go through the facial recognition scans? I am sailing out of Port Canaveral on the NCL Breakaway, getting off on Saturday Dec 7th. Trying to book a 10:42am flight out of MCO and seeing if we have enough time to make it. We are supposed to arrive at 7am and we will carry our own luggage off. What time were you supposed to arrive and what time did you get off? Did it run pretty smoothly? 

23 minutes ago, WeBeCruisinMon said:

How was disembarkation in Port Canaveral? Did you go through the facial recognition scans? I am sailing out of Port Canaveral on the NCL Breakaway, getting off on Saturday Dec 7th. Trying to book a 10:42am flight out of MCO and seeing if we have enough time to make it. We are supposed to arrive at 7am and we will carry our own luggage off. What time were you supposed to arrive and what time did you get off? Did it run pretty smoothly? 

I was off the Sun on Sept. 26th and yes, they had the facial recognition scanners.  It worked out great.  I didn't debark until close to 8am, but could have much earlier as I had selected early walk-off.

There is always a risk with the ship arriving late, or running into delays by US CBP, but if the early flight is the only real option, I'd go for it.  But have a backup plan in case things go wrong.  It's nearly an hour drive from Port Canaveral to MCO, so be off the ship early and have your transportation lined up.

Edited by Mike_DeA

1 hour ago, Mike_DeA said:

I was off the Sun on Sept. 26th and yes, they had the facial recognition scanners.  It worked out great.  I didn't debark until close to 8am, but could have much earlier as I had selected early walk-off.

There is always a risk with the ship arriving late, or running into delays by US CBP, but if the early flight is the only real option, I'd go for it.  But have a backup plan in case things go wrong.  It's nearly an hour drive from Port Canaveral to MCO, so be off the ship early and have your transportation lined up.

Were you supposed to arrive at 7am or 8am that you were able to get off at 8am?

Happy for the face scanners, they sound like they will really speed things up! 

57 minutes ago, WeBeCruisinMon said:

Were you supposed to arrive at 7am or 8am that you were able to get off at 8am?

Happy for the face scanners, they sound like they will really speed things up! 

Debarkation started on schedule, by 7am. 

Yes, the scanners seemed to work great.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:16 PM, kris816 said:

Hi, Just off Sun.   We didn't have any problems with Los Lobos Cantina or Sushi restaurants.   We could not get in Teppanyaki.  It's rather small.   So, if you want to eat there I would try to make reservation ASAP when you board. Cagney's appeared to be busy too.