Trip Report - Oct 2-11 Baltics on the Getaway - First Haven Experience

fastpitchdad

Thanks so much for your review!  We will be doing the same next year.  Part of the fun is planning.  If you get the chance, can you please send me a screen shot of your Danicab app?  I can't find it but I definitely can see the benefits of using it.

Thanks!

On 11/4/2019 at 7:45 AM, Chicopee said:

Thanks so much for your review!  We will be doing the same next year.  Part of the fun is planning.  If you get the chance, can you please send me a screen shot of your Danicab app?  I can't find it but I definitely can see the benefits of using it.

Thanks!

Sorry...it is Dancab rather than Danicab (not sure why I was thinking Danicab). You can see the icon in the top left and the map screen which looks a lot like uber. 

49019187707_e055bef7c8_o_d.jpg

49018990066_b90a963d98_o_d.jpg

28 minutes ago, TPgal said:

Great review.  My college friend was the winemaker at Kestrel for this vintage.  Have you tried the new(ish) WIT winery?

Yes...we know Flint and love his wines 🙂 . We are members of their founders club...we are pretty good friends with Gina (one of the other Wit founders) and signed up before they opened. He makes fantastic wine. He has a limited release rocks Syrah that is absolutely amazing and his Cab Francs are among the best in the state. We dropped Kestrel when he left. 

49021132421_624c226d03_o_d.jpg

Edited by fastpitchdad

We will be on the Escape in Oct 2020 with the same itinerary. We typically buy a spa pass, but this is such a post heavy cruise I was not sure if it would be worth it. Can you tell me how late the spa was open at night? Did you use your balcony given how cold it was?

12 hours ago, Longsx3 said:

We will be on the Escape in Oct 2020 with the same itinerary. We typically buy a spa pass, but this is such a post heavy cruise I was not sure if it would be worth it. Can you tell me how late the spa was open at night? Did you use your balcony given how cold it was?

We used the Spa every day and definitely felt it was worth it. It was unseasonably cold much of the trip (meaning it was high 40s low 50s instead of high 50s low 60s) so returning from port to the Thermal Spa was very nice. I believe it was open until 10PM but we were never there when it closed. The public hot tubs on deck and the Haven hot tubs went almost completely unused. I think I saw one person in a poolside hot tub all week and a only a couple of groups took advantage of the Haven hot tubs during the entire cruise. 

We barely used the balcony. We would peek out and take some pictures but never did anything like sitting in the loungers with a glass of wine. But as always, it was nice to be able to get some fresh air into the room. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 2:44 PM, fastpitchdad said:

The Seahawks were playing the Rams which was a huge game and as luck would have it Amazon Prime was streaming it. Not sure if I knew this prior but the ships internet VPNs back through Miami so Amazon Prime thinks you are in Miami 😊.

So I set up at the bar and maybe my favorite bartender on the ship (between him, Patrick, and Daniel it is hard to choose) plugged in my laptop for me. I can't remember his name (please tell me if you know...he was pretty big and I think from Greneda). A family from Boston and their son who now lives in Berlin sat with me to watch the game. The parents ended up going to bed around half time but their son stayed until the very end which I really appreciated 😊. The game started at about 3AM and O’Sheehans shut down around 4 (I thought it was 24x7) but they left us with sufficient cans of Guinness to get us through the game. It was an amazing game…back and forth with some amazing plays (Russell Wilson had a TD pass that will probably be THE play of the year). Around 5:30 in the morning the Rams lined up for a very makeable game winning field goal with one of the best kickers in the league…and he missed!!! So here I am jumping up and down in victory in an empty O’Sheehans save for the two of us. It was definitely worth it 🙂. The picture quality of the game was perfect but I am guessing ot of people were using the internet at that time.

I'm glad to hear you caught the game!  Last season when the Seahawks were in the playoffs, we were on the Escape out of Miami for New Years.  We were able to catch the game on the TV at O'Sheehan's, which was exciting because the cruise ships seem to never show our game.  We're taking the Encore out of Miami again this New Years.  Maybe if they're not playing the Hawks on the ship's TV,  maybe we can still stream it. Notice I am not in any way doubting that we'll make the playoffs again this season.  BTW--I was at that awesome Thursday Night Football game!  My first-ever pro football game in person, and it was awesome!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShelleyQT said:

I'm glad to hear you caught the game!  Last season when the Seahawks were in the playoffs, we were on the Escape out of Miami for New Years.  We were able to catch the game on the TV at O'Sheehan's, which was exciting because the cruise ships seem to never show our game.  We're taking the Encore out of Miami again this New Years.  Maybe if they're not playing the Hawks on the ship's TV,  maybe we can still stream it. Notice I am not in any way doubting that we'll make the playoffs again this season.  BTW--I was at that awesome Thursday Night Football game!  My first-ever pro football game in person, and it was awesome!

Wow! You picked a great first game! It must have been crazy loud. I am going to the Monday Night game against the Vikings in a couple of weeks. 

If you are sailing on the 29th that could be the Sunday Night game if the 49ers and Seahawks are still within a game of each other. If not then streaming did work well for me but it was also at 3 in the morning although when we sailed to Alaska last year on the Pearl we watched the Husky - Auburn game at 12:30pm streamed on someone's laptop in the bar and that worked without any issues (other than the laptop running out of power). Have fun! 🙂

On 11/13/2019 at 12:19 PM, fastpitchdad said:

We used the Spa every day and definitely felt it was worth it. It was unseasonably cold much of the trip (meaning it was high 40s low 50s instead of high 50s low 60s) so returning from port to the Thermal Spa was very nice. I believe it was open until 10PM but we were never there when it closed. The public hot tubs on deck and the Haven hot tubs went almost completely unused. I think I saw one person in a poolside hot tub all week and a only a couple of groups took advantage of the Haven hot tubs during the entire cruise. 

We barely used the balcony. We would peek out and take some pictures but never did anything like sitting in the loungers with a glass of wine. But as always, it was nice to be able to get some fresh air into the room. 

Longsx3 the Escape Haven has a retracting roof over the Haven courtyard, so you may get more use out of the Haven area.  We used it all the time going from NY to FLA Thanksgiving week (Think COLD). 🙂

fastpitchdad thank you so much for your review.  Like Longsx3 we'll also be on the Escape for this itinerary but in September.  I appreciate all the tips and tricks you point out!  So glad you had a great trip.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

Wow! You picked a great first game! It must have been crazy loud. I am going to the Monday Night game against the Vikings in a couple of weeks. 

If you are sailing on the 29th that could be the Sunday Night game if the 49ers and Seahawks are still within a game of each other. If not then streaming did work well for me but it was also at 3 in the morning although when we sailed to Alaska last year on the Pearl we watched the Husky - Auburn game at 12:30pm streamed on someone's laptop in the bar and that worked without any issues (other than the laptop running out of power). Have fun! 🙂

I will be at the Vikings game on Dec. 2nd too!  Go Hawks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, retiredAF said:

We are planning this itinerary also so thanks for your informative post.  I would also appreciate if you would forward the Copenhagen email.  Will send you a PM.  Thanks!  

I am not sure you can do a PM here. If you want you can send it to my spam email which is aholdern@yahoo.com...just give me a heads up when you send it 🙂

On 1/31/2020 at 8:57 PM, fastpitchdad said:

I am not sure you can do a PM here. If you want you can send it to my spam email which is aholdern@yahoo.com...just give me a heads up when you send it 🙂

You’re right, pm wouldn’t work so I sent a message to your spam address.  Thanks so much!  

• 2 weeks later...