Jogging on Vista Class

richwmn

A fairly common discussion on this board is where those inclined to do so can jog. Most who participate in the activity say they jog on the Promenade Deck, but many point out that it is prohibited on that deck. By chance yesterday I saw the sign and took the picture.

Jogging.jpg

note that the prohibition against jogging was added after the fact. The picture was taken on Noordam, Sunday Oct 20, 2019

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 2

Just now, TiogaCruiser said:

Was the most recent discussion centered on Nordam?

Thanks for posting.

I don't know, but commonly joggers contend that jogging is ok on Vista Class ships because there are no cabins below the Promenade Deck. Mostly I was pointing out that the prohibition against jogging was added to the sign.

As a frequent walker i have said before there is more to the no jogging than noise to the cabins below...the vast majority of people using the prom deck are typically a bit older and often mobility challenged...most people are out for a slow stroll as they stare off into the ocean often semi oblivious to other people on the prom deck...as many ships have made the prom decks more and more narrow there is also the safety concern of joggers running into the stroller group...i have seen it happen.....even when just walking i often have to be very alert to keep from walking into/hitting the strolling bunch as they step back to take a pic etc.  There are valid reasons to restrict jogging/running on prom decks.  Of course many think the rules don't apply to them as they are "special".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say that the ban on jogging on the Promenade Deck is in place for a reason.  Several posters ahead of me have said that joggers can run into those passengers who are walking.  Yes, that's true.  Another reason may be those passengers who use the Promenade to sit/sleep/read in a deck chair.  It isn't conducive to any of those activities if someone races by multiple times.  Just the pounding on the deck can disturb others.  Besides, isn't there a jogging track on one of the upper decks?  And what about the treadmill machines in the gym?  There are alternatives besides jogging on the Promenade Deck.