Hawaii time changes

Marronnier

Hi,

We'll be on the 15 day LA -Hawaii -LA cruise on the Star in January. I was wondering if anyone knew how the three hour time difference between LA and Hawaii was managed on board. Gain an hour for three consecutive nights on the way out and lose the 3 hours on consecutive nights (days) on the way back? Or is it handled some other way?

Thanks for any information.

7 minutes ago, tillys mom said:

Yes, you change every time you change time zones.

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know if this would be the first three nights out of LA and consecutive nights on the way back? We will have just flown in from the UK so will be trying to manage the jet lag!

34 minutes ago, Marronnier said:

We will have just flown in from the UK so will be trying to manage the jet lag!

Could you fly in a couple of days early and get used to the new time before the cruise?

There's lots to see in the LA area...Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, San Diego, beaches, mountains, desert, on and on and on.

We've done this cruise a couple of times in the past and are taking it again this January as well.  The time changes are pretty easy since they occur on sea days, and unless you want them to be structured, the days can be as easy as you want. 

In winter, there is only a two hour difference between Hawaii and Los Angeles. Hawaii observes standard time year-round so it's a three-hour difference in summer but only a two-hour difference in winter.

While I can't say exactly which nights it will be, with only two hours to change and four or five sea days each way, I would not expect the changes to be on consecutive nights and not to be the night before a port call. You will not have a two-hour change in one night.

I am just off Coral's Pacific Panama Canal trip and with eight changes (Mexico and Panama are on what equates to Central time but the other ports (Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Nicaragua) are on the same as Mountain time so it was two ahead, one back, one ahead, one back, one ahead, and finally two back) and every one was before a sea day. 

This is based on a previous Hawaii cruise out of SF but it is probably the same.

Night of the 2nd full sea day going.

Night of the 4th full sea day going.

Night of leaving the final island.

Night of the 2nd full sea day returning.

45 minutes ago, Marronnier said:

Thank you all for your answers. Thanks to Istone19 - I didn't realise Hawaii don't do 'Daylight saving'. That will make things a little easier.

LA will not be on Daylight savings in January, so there will only be 2 changes each way/