Transfer cruise to TA

cruzdude1

8 minutes ago, cruzdude1 said:

Why do people book the cruise and then transfer it to a travel agent? 
when/ how do you do it?

before or after you pay for it?

thanks

People book on board and then transfer to a TA because they get additional benefits (perks, OBC for example) from the TA on top of the benefits you get from X. You have 60 days after booking on board to shop the cruise around to various TAs to see who will give you the best value. You also often get to make a smaller deposit on board. One thing to make sure of when doing it is if you booked your current cruise with a TA X will automatically give the booking to that TA UNLESS you sign a form telling them NOT to transfer it to them. Signing the waiver allows you the 60 days to have the booking transferred to the TA who gives you the best deal.

TA's can often have additional perks to offer in addition to those offered by any cruise line.

They manage the booking and must interact with the cruise line on your behalf. Some passengers prefer to have total control of their reservations and avoid booking with a cruise travel agent.

Booking transfers can be made up to 60 days following the initial booking with the cruise line. 

We cannot name travel agents on Cruise Critic. Many passengers find travel agents on line. You might even have travel agents that specialize in cruising in your community where you can actually sit down and benefit from their expertise. Some highly skilled cruise agents can offer valid advice on cabin selection or dining options for example.

There are a number of posts on Cruise Critic that can provide insight into the benefits or pitfalls of cruise travel agents.

I agree with what above says, I usually book on my own and then transfer, kind of fun auctioning off your res to the highest bidder.  I usually end up with one or two who I always have used.  Give me a decent OBC and great service, ie very responsive on all my idiosyncrasies.  I tend to like doing all the research and mainly stick with celebrity so I know there ships and there specials they always run.  I find it worthwhile transferring, and still have enough control over the res to deal with it. 

10 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

People book on board and then transfer to a TA because they get additional benefits (perks, OBC for example) from the TA on top of the benefits you get from X. You have 60 days after booking on board to shop the cruise around to various TAs to see who will give you the best value. You also often get to make a smaller deposit on board. One thing to make sure of when doing it is if you booked your current cruise with a TA X will automatically give the booking to that TA UNLESS you sign a form telling them NOT to transfer it to them. Signing the waiver allows you the 60 days to have the booking transferred to the TA who gives you the best deal.

Great information, all true, but the OP should also be made aware of the fact that transfers are possible for all bookings, not just those made on board. So if you see something you like and book it online, or call Celebrity and book it by phone, you can still transfer it to a TA.

• Like 1