Sirena Back to Back July 10-30, 2020

Livetocruise2

Have been on over 35 cruises mostly with Celebrity, RCCL, Princess.  Booked Oceania for first time on Sirena in July, 2020.  Port intensive with only one day at sea in 20 days.  Has anyone been to ports of Ajaccio (Corsica), Saint-Tropez, Ciutadella de Menorca (Spain), Ibiza, or Valencia?  Any recommendations on tours or what to see in these ports?  We don't mind going to the beach but would also like sightseeing.  My husband and I will begin the cruise in Venice and will meet 2 other couples in Civitavecchia for the July 20-30 portion.  I heard that once you check in and board the ship in Civitavecchia, you cannot leave the ship to walk around town.   I think my husband and I can leave the ship because we are on a back to back cruise, but our friends are boarding for the first time in Civitavecchia. Do they need to just check their luggage but don't board?   We encountered this situation when we cruised from Sidney, Australia.  We boarded the ship early thinking we could get out and walk around.  There was a government regulation that would not allow us to get off the ship!  Even though we spend 2 days in Sidney, we were very disappointed we could not leave the ship.  Thanks for any feedback.

Have you looked at the Ports of call forum ?

Or look up the ports & see what interests you

Maybe sign up on your roll call many O pax  will organize private tours 

Paragraphs are helpful for people reading your post

Cannot imagine spending 2 day stuff on a ship in Sydney ..very strange

We are experienced cruisers and one of favorite all-time excursions was in Valencia.  Checkout www.seasaffron.com.  It's an all day experience.....walking tour and nibbles in old town, walking tour or City of Arts & Sciences, and then a multi-course, sit down, private meal.  All was excellent! Cost is about $90 per person.

Edited by CruisingIGo
add info

Just visited Ajaccio in May.  A charming town very easy to see on your own.  You dock just a few minutes walk to town.  The art museum is excellent and connected to the burial tombs for much of Napoleon’s family (one ticket for both) and the Napoleon home is another nice stop.  Some pleasant shops, a convenient street market square between these two prime sites and a pleasant few hours. Enjoy!

Edited by CintiPam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of our ports of call on the Nautica October 2019 was St. Tropez.  It was a tender port.  From where the tender docked, it was an easy walk to places we wanted to visit.  We visited a beautiful church called Notre Dame de l' Assomption.  We also visited the Musée de l' Annonciade, a modern art museum housed in a beautiful 1500's chapel.  We also visited La Maison des Papillons, the home turned museum of artist Danny Lartique.  His butterfly collection and artwork are beautifully displayed.  It's a very interesting place to tour.  We also stopped for a tea break at the La Tarte  Tropèzienne on Places des lices.  The famous tarte tropèzienne cake was so delicious and was originally created here.

One of the things I believe that Oceania should clearly spell out in one’s Blue Book, is that when you board the ship in White Horse Bay in Sydney, you can not leave the ship! One can drop check baggage and leave, but can’t actually check in and board the ship.

We got to the ship about 13:00 and thought we would check in; board, up Grade our drinks package, and hopefully be able to quickly drop carry on in the cabin by 13:30; then stroll over to the Sydney Fish Market for a delightful lunch. We absolutely love the place and was looking forward to another lunch there. Arrgh! Wrong! Once aboard, we were locked aboard by immigrations!!! 

Realizing now that the above is policy, I believe that O should clearly spell such policies out in their documents for all such ports and/or countries. Had we known this beforehand, we would have had the cab wait while we merely dumped our check baggage and then have it deliver us the the Fish Market.

22 hours ago, pinotlover said:

One of the things I believe that Oceania should clearly spell out in one’s Blue Book, is that when you board the ship in White Horse Bay in Sydney, you can not leave the ship! One can drop check baggage and leave, but can’t actually check in and board the ship.

We got to the ship about 13:00 and thought we would check in; board, up Grade our drinks package, and hopefully be able to quickly drop carry on in the cabin by 13:30; then stroll over to the Sydney Fish Market for a delightful lunch. We absolutely love the place and was looking forward to another lunch there. Arrgh! Wrong! Once aboard, we were locked aboard by immigrations!!! 

Realizing now that the above is policy, I believe that O should clearly spell such policies out in their documents for all such ports and/or countries. Had we known this beforehand, we would have had the cab wait while we merely dumped our check baggage and then have it deliver us the the Fish Market.

In all fairness to Oceania when we there a couple of years ago they did make us aware with an email a couple of weeks before embarking. 

49 minutes ago, ORV said:

In all fairness to Oceania when we there a couple of years ago they did make us aware with an email a couple of weeks before embarking. 

Thanks ORV, Glad to hear that. In 2015 they didn’t do that. In fact, our documents still has us boarding from a harbor that had been closed for about three years! 

On 11/30/2019 at 11:25 AM, pinotlover said:

Not sure that this is always the case.

We boarded Crystal In White Horse Bay a couple of years ago and were able to tender back ashore.

Maybe things have changed?