Canada may refuse to let you in, what you need to know.

misguy

I did some research by request and thought I would share it.  There are a number of reasons Canada might not let you in, even to go from the airport to the port.  This video reviews those issue and provides links to the official Canadian website where you can find out more. 

• Like 1

I think the most common reason to be denied is for having a DUI (it is much more serious in Canada) although anyone wearing a Boston Bruins jersey or hat will almost certainly be sent for secondary inspection when crossing into BC at the Peace Arch or Truck Crossing. 

Edited by fastpitchdad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, misguy said:

I did some research by request and thought I would share it.  There are a number of reasons Canada might not let you in, even to go from the airport to the port.  This video reviews those issue and provides links to the official Canadian website where you can find out more. 

There's even more reasons you may be denied entry to the United States as a Canadian, plus a lot more (such as engaging in perfectly legal activity in Canada)

So please don't feel you're being singled out.

The history is the George Bush demanded of Canada the full criminal database transfer of all Canadian convictions to the United States, and Canada refused unless it was bilateral.

Edited by scottbee

I didn't feel singled out, too often people just assume that there won't be an issue, and so are blindsided when they get to the border, and I am sure it goes both ways, but if you have a cruise booked and can't get to the ship, it is going to be hard to deal with.  

On 10/29/2019 at 8:24 AM, misguy said:

I didn't feel singled out, too often people just assume that there won't be an issue, and so are blindsided when they get to the border, and I am sure it goes both ways, but if you have a cruise booked and can't get to the ship, it is going to be hard to deal with.  

No different than us Canadians and other Nationalities trying to board a cruise in the US.

Again, I agree with you.  I think though that too many Americans aren't aware of the possible issue and just assume that all they have to do is show up with a passport and they can get in.  The last part of the video highlights what someone with an issue can do to resolve it.  Are you aware of cases where someone from Canada has had the same issue, if so, I may try to do a video on what they can do to resolve the issue. 

My goal is education of travelers so that their vacations don't get ruined. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 8:11 AM, scottbee said:

The history is the George Bush demanded of Canada the full criminal database transfer of all Canadian convictions to the United States, and Canada refused unless it was bilateral.

Canada is the only country in the world that has full access to our NCIC, and has for some time. So I don't understand your comment about it being bilateral.

20 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

Canada is the only country in the world that has full access to our NCIC, and has for some time. So I don't understand your comment about it being bilateral.

The US has full access to the equivalent Canadian databases, which was demanded by the US post-9/11

Canada stood firm and said "The only way you'll get access to our databases, is if we have access to yours". 

Bilateral.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, misguy said:

Again, I agree with you.  I think though that too many Americans aren't aware of the possible issue and just assume that all they have to do is show up with a passport and they can get in.  The last part of the video highlights what someone with an issue can do to resolve it.  Are you aware of cases where someone from Canada has had the same issue, if so, I may try to do a video on what they can do to resolve the issue. 

My goal is education of travelers so that their vacations don't get ruined. 

Didn't watch the film as it isn't applicable to us. However, there are many reasons we can be prevented from entering the US - drug convictions & too many days are common reasons. Lots more.

1 hour ago, scottbee said:

The US has full access to the equivalent Canadian databases, which was demanded by the US post-9/11

Canada stood firm and said "The only way you'll get access to our databases, is if we have access to yours". 

Bilateral.

And Canada does have direct access to NCIC, the only other country in the world to do so. So it looks to like to me that it is bilateral.