Pick up Alamo car at Eller Dr with FLL reservation?

knagl

Does anyone have any recent experience with picking up a car post-cruise at Alamo's Eller Drive location with a reservation calling for pickup at the FLL airport location?

I've seen passing reference to doing so with no additional charge, but I'd welcome any recent experience.

The reason why I ask is that I'm renting a car after our cruise to drive to Fort Myers, and a FLL to RSW (Ft. Myers airport) reservation is less than half the price of an Eller Drive to RSW rental. If I can grab the free shuttle to Eller and pick up there with my FLL reservation, great. If not, I'll just take an Uber/Lyft to the FLL rental facility.  Thanks in advance.

Is this based on recent personal experience?  I read a number of posts from 2017 saying that the Eller Drive location allowed pickups that were scheduled at FLL at no additional charge, and one post where the person said they were denied doing this.  Aside from those two year old posts, I have not seen any recent information to confirm or deny the ability to do so.

7 minutes ago, knagl said:

Is this based on recent personal experience?  I read a number of posts from 2017 saying that the Eller Drive location allowed pickups that were scheduled at FLL at no additional charge, and one post where the person said they were denied doing this.  Aside from those two year old posts, I have not seen any recent information to confirm or deny the ability to do so.

No, its common sense. Not sure how you would know if they are fully booked. Just showing up hoping they have a car that is covered by your reservation is a bit risky, wouldn't you think?

Any previous history you read about could easily be true...because they happened to have available cars. But there is no guarantee if you go to a different office from the one where your reservation is scheduled.

Contrary to what you might believe, reservations don't guarantee car availability.  They only guarantee the price of the car.

I still welcome replies from anyone who has had personal experience at this location, either positive or negative.  Thank you in advance.

It’s not something I’d ever bank on having a positive experience doing. Your reservation is for pickup at the airport and you want to pick up at the cruise port and drop off in another city -  my expectation would be to show up at Eller Dr and be given the best available rate of the day plus the drop fee, which as you say doubles the price. 

I think the smart and stress free route is to get a taxi or Uber to the airport to pick up your existing reservation.