Recent TA Cruisers (This fall): Formal Nights?

Royal has recently in the last few months started doing away with formal nights.  Has anyone in the last few months done a Trans Atlantic(TA) cruise and can shed some light on if they did any formal nights?   

Since royal just started doing away with the formal nights,  if you sailed earlier this year  (Jan-September 2019) it may or may not be the same experience since the changes are recent.

Thanks in advance!

Trey

11 minutes ago, young2by2 said:

Royal has recently in the last few months started doing away with formal nights.  Has anyone in the last few months done a Trans Atlantic(TA) cruise and can shed some light on if they did any formal nights?   

Since royal just started doing away with the formal nights,  if you sailed earlier this year  (Jan-September 2019) it may or may not be the same experience since the changes are recent.

Thanks in advance!

Trey

Not that it means much anymore since Royal does not enforce any dress suggestions, but there are usually 3 formal nights on on a transatlantic cruise.

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Not that it means much anymore since Royal does not enforce any dress suggestions, but there are usually 3 formal nights on on a transatlantic cruise.

That's how many they did on our last TA.  But I was wondering if the current TA's had done away with them like they have on other cruises :)

3 minutes ago, young2by2 said:

That's how many they did on our last TA.  But I was wondering if the current TA's had done away with them like they have on other cruises 🙂

I guess we won't really know until we get reports back from the TAs that will take place in the next few weeks.  Most of the last TAs occurred around last April..

• Like 1

This is so disappointing to hear (that Royal is abandoning the formal night idea).  It was really quite a site to see how all the guests “cleaned up” and wore their very best...every1 looking so sharp, and all the fabulous dresses, gowns and jewelry!  I have many years of amazingly beautiful pictures with family and friends.

People now often say it’s not worth the bother or discomfort to dress formally.

What’s the point of owning nice jewelry and watches if you never get to wear them?   CruiseCritic used to have the best threads of ladies posting in their gowns, trying to decide what clothes to bring. 🙂

Holiday cruisers usually still have enough interest in celebrating that they’ll make an effort on their appearance.  But the rest of the year, it’s become a disappointment for me to see the plain clothes for days on end.  Formal night was definitely something that made cruising feel special for me.

I can’t imagine how boring a transatlantic would be, with no day distinguishable from the next.

• Like 1

Where do you hear that there are no more formal nights?  We always have them on our RC cruises; in fact, RC has been one of the few lines that still uses the word Formal.  Not that everyone complies; but they do post them as such.  The exception would be the 3- and 4-night cruises, which are more casual.

We have found TAs to be dressier than Carib or other itineraries.  Typically three formal nights.

• Thanks 1