Sky Princess and Internet

Lynniepoo

1 hour ago, ED49404 said:

I have a question about OM internet, that I cannot find scanning CC.  DW and I both are Platinum and we both use our minutes, I like to use computers in the IC for messaging on Face Book and printing airline boarding passes.  I hope under OM internet I can do the same and even if add more minutes to my device.  

Thanks in advance. 

Yes, those computers are still around, but you do have to authenticate with cabin and birthdate.

12 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

I know this was mentioned before, but I'm too lazy to find it.  With the 4 device plan... so is it 4 devices at a time or only 4 registered devices?  Like can 6 devices be "listed" but not connected?  I think the answer is yes since I read that you disconnect some devices.  Sounds like up to 4 can be logged in at one time.  Correct?

TIA

You do not have to register the devices. Up to four devices can be logged in at one time. If you want to use a 5th device when 4 are already connected, one of the connected ones must be disconnected.

You could actually use hundreds of devices, just only four of them at a time.

I do not know how it works with a four device package. With a single device package, if you try to sign on a second device it asks if you want to disconnect the device already signed in if you want to continue with the new device.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 3:34 AM, caribill said:

You do not have to register the devices. Up to four devices can be logged in at one time. If you want to use a 5th device when 4 are already connected, one of the connected ones must be disconnected.

You could actually use hundreds of devices, just only four of them at a time.

I do not know how it works with a four device package. With a single device package, if you try to sign on a second device it asks if you want to disconnect the device already signed in if you want to continue with the new device.

It works much the same.  The login screen shows you all four devices and asks you to select the one to be disconnected.  As long as you know your device's nickname, it is no problem at all.  My wife and I generally have identical model phones.  We name them with a nickname that includes our name and then that is used in Bluetooth connections to our vehicles etc, and clearly shows up in the MedallionNet login area.

• Thanks 1

Got an email claiming we will get 25% off onboard or can use free minutes on Sky.  Will see if they do better than the standard $8 off precruise for a week that has previously shown up.  We generally just go with the free minutes.

12 hours ago, LeeW said:

Got an email claiming we will get 25% off onboard or can use free minutes on Sky.  Will see if they do better than the standard $8 off precruise for a week that has previously shown up.  We generally just go with the free minutes.

That will be 25% off the regular first day pricing on board. If should result in saving a few $$ (but not many $$) over the pre-cruise price you can get. See the chart in post #7.

13 hours ago, LeeW said:

Per the price list Steelers36 posted for unlimited you will pay what is listed once onboard. That factors in the loss of the free minutes. You can do either. Use your minutes or get the discounted unlimited price.

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, JRay21 said:

Yes, I'm interested in what the free Wifi entails as well.  Is is just the small minutes package free for the sailing or only one day free, or unlimited wifi?

I have a 25 day cruise on the Sky Princess booked for next April. I booked under the Cyber sale. My personaliser has this note: MedallionNet 4-Device Promotion $374.75 Compliments Of PRINCESS CRUISES 

$14.99 x 25 = $374.75

Multi-Device MedallionNet Voyage Package$14.99 4 devices, per day

Save 50% when you purchase pre-cruise! Enjoy an unlimited internet voyage package for as low as $14.99 per day.

Stay connected like never before with the best Wi-Fi at sea. From email to streaming, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access! Package provides connectivity for up to four devices at a time.

Edited by billco
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, billco said:

I have a 25 day cruise on the Sky Princess booked for next April. I booked under the Cyber sale. My personaliser has this note: MedallionNet 4-Device Promotion $374.75 Compliments Of PRINCESS CRUISES 

$14.99 x 25 = $374.75

Multi-Device MedallionNet Voyage Package$14.99 4 devices, per day

Save 50% when you purchase pre-cruise! Enjoy an unlimited internet voyage package for as low as $14.99 per day.

Stay connected like never before with the best Wi-Fi at sea. From email to streaming, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access! Package provides connectivity for up to four devices at a time.

Yes, true, but Princess has inflated the perceived value of this benefit beyond its actual cost.  The on-board price for the 4-device package would be $300 and only $225 if you have Platinum/Elite status.

Pre-cruise, I am not sure if that length of cruise is normally $10/day (I know beyond 30 days, it is $10/day, but probably still has a cap).

4 hours ago, JRay21 said:

Yes, I'm interested in what the free Wifi entails as well.  Is is just the small minutes package free for the sailing or only one day free, or unlimited wifi?

Princess no longer offers packages of minutes (other than the free minutes for Platinum/Elite passengers).

So what you get is unlimited Internet. For MedallionNet ships, there is only one speed offered, so that is what you get.

For the ships that do not yet have Medallion net, they offer three packages with different capabilities: social, surf and stream. I do not know which of these would be part of the free Internet offer.

My cruise is only giving me the option of minutes for wifi.  I'm doing an Alaska cruise in August, and the only wifi I can pre-purchase are minute packages:

$69 for 120 minutes

$99 for 240 minutes

$159 for 460 minutes

$199 for 680 minutes

There is no option for unlimited packages. 

16 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess no longer offers packages of minutes (other than the free minutes for Platinum/Elite passengers).

So what you get is unlimited Internet. For MedallionNet ships, there is only one speed offered, so that is what you get.

For the ships that do not yet have Medallion net, they offer three packages with different capabilities: social, surf and stream. I do not know which of these would be part of the free Internet offer.

The minutes internet (free or paid) on those ships is equivalent to the Premium (not "stream") package - IOW, there are no website restrictions.

1 hour ago, JRay21 said:

My cruise is only giving me the option of minutes for wifi.  I'm doing an Alaska cruise in August, and the only wifi I can pre-purchase are minute packages:

$69 for 120 minutes

$99 for 240 minutes

$159 for 460 minutes

$199 for 680 minutes

There is no option for unlimited packages. 

You did not mention the ship, so it must not have the MedallionNet internet.  That said, there MAY be the unlimited packages, but you should always specify the ship and it is quite likely someone will know the scoop.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 6:42 PM, steelers36 said:

Hi, All.  I said I would be back with a report on a pricing chart for 4-device plans from the Crown.  I am on the Crown, but the Internet Cafe Mgr (ICM) was about as protective of that information as a top secret item.  I thought I would have no issues obtaining it, but he would open a drawer at his station and quickly close it again after looking at the same sort of table of prices I have posted for the 1-device plan.  He gave me some baffle-gab about the prices change and what-not as to why he wouldn't give me the complete list.  I asked him about three different specific lengths and he would open and closed the drawer quickly.  Wouldn't let me take a pic of the list, etc.  I am sure if I call Princess when I get back home, they will tell me. 

IDK if things have changed, but the old internet had the ICM's as non-Princess employees.  So, my cajoling got me nowhere.

It would seem this chart is fairly accurate for 4-devices, albeit incomplete:

CRUISE LENGTH PRE_CRUISE PERSONALIZER ON BOARD PRICE (Day 1)
(nights) List Price Member Discount On Board Price Member Discount Price
<7   n/a $110 $82.50
7 $105 n/a $140 $105.00
8 $120 n/a $150 $112.50
9 $135 n/a $160 $120.00
10 $150 n/a $170 $127.50
11 $165 n/a $180 $135.00
12 $180 n/a $200 $150.00
14 $210 n/a $240 $180.00
15 - 30   n/a $300 $225.00
31+   n/a $400

$300.00

The pre-cruise prices I included are based on them offering it at $15 per day in Personalizer. 

The On-Board pricing is gathered from some posts I recall seeing, including @Astro Flyer's above.  The one's I managed to squeeze out of the Crown's ICM were for 7-nights, 15-30 nights, 31+ nights, and of course I know what 10-nights are.  (We and our friends are currently sharing a 4-device package on Crown).  I just projected the rest of the on-board prices so that the 4-device rate equals two times 1-device rate, including discounted rate.

When I connect up and login on my PC, it shows me 4 devices active and lists our cellphones and I can tell from the labels extracted from the internal device names we gave them, who's is whose, and I know to force my cellphone to disconnect when going onto my PC.

Internet is working very well on CROWN - but then we would expect that in the Caribbean latitudes.

I also confirmed with the ICM that anyone not buying the U/L package on Day 1, and now looking to book it would be paying $20/day.  I need to drop in again and ask (just for curiosity), what happens if a Platinum/Elite uses up their 250 mins in three days and then comes around to buy.  Do they get a price break at all, or is it the $20 full rate?  I expect the latter.

What I now know is when we go on REGAL next fall for 38 nights, we should be at $300 net cost for Medallion Net (4-devices), or $75/device, which is pretty darn good at about $2/day.  (Barring a price increase).

I have platinum status and will be taking a 15 day cruise from SF to Hawaii and back.  I read somewhere that it was better to wait until I got on board to get the internet.  When I look at my personalizer, it's $129.99 for a single device and $224.85 for the 4 device.  Will it be less than that if I wait for day 1?  It seems that Princess has already given me the platinum rate so I'm a little confused.  Can someone advise?  Thanks....

16 minutes ago, Californian said:

I have platinum status and will be taking a 15 day cruise from SF to Hawaii and back.  I read somewhere that it was better to wait until I got on board to get the internet.  When I look at my personalizer, it's $129.99 for a single device and $224.85 for the 4 device.  Will it be less than that if I wait for day 1?  It seems that Princess has already given me the platinum rate so I'm a little confused.  Can someone advise?  Thanks....

You happen to have one of those quirks in the pricing where it makes no difference and Platinum/Elite members save nothing at 15 days.  They have bracketed 15 - 30, so if sailing for 15, your get the worst deal compared to sailing for 30 days.   It is $225 either way for 4-device plan.  It will be $112.50 on board for single device, so that is less.  In general, you save by buying on board.  Also, on board pricing is such that two single device plans cost the same as the 4-device plan.

11 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

You happen to have one of those quirks in the pricing where it makes no difference and Platinum/Elite members save nothing at 15 days.  They have bracketed 15 - 30, so if sailing for 15, your get the worst deal compared to sailing for 30 days.   It is $225 either way for 4-device plan.  It will be $112.50 on board for single device, so that is less.  In general, you save by buying on board.  Also, on board pricing is such that two single device plans cost the same as the 4-device plan.

Ok.  Thanks for the explanation.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have been hearing reports that the internet was really bad.  Has it improved lately.  We were thinking of purchasing it, but don't want to if it isn't working well.

We are going on the Sky Princess at the end of Feb.

Edited by bscrive