Has anyone used Brightline train to/from Fort Lauderdale?

furloughedagain

We are flying into FLL and staying in downtown Miami before our cruise. Then, after the cruise, spending a night on the beach in Fort Lauderdale before flying home. 

Wondering if if anyone had tried the Brightline train to get between the cities? An Uber nonstop would be $80-$90 for our family each way. The train is $33 but would need an Uber on both ends to get where we need to be (although we could use Miami Metromover to get from the station to our hotel)

interested in your experiences and suggestions.

Its a waste of time and seems like a waste of money. 

Brightline is $33 per-person no? 

Uber makes more sense and will be quicker and easier. I never seen Brightline tickets so cheap that a family would be $33 total. Unless you are confusing Brightline with Tri-Rail. 

To get to the train, off the train, and then to your hotel will take a lot longer than just getting in a Uber. 

Edited by Flymia

I've used Brightline quite a few times and have a friend who uses it weekly.  It's a great experience and very quick.  

They often have promos, including BLFRIEND where the tickets are buy one get one free or BLFamily which is buy 2 get two free, etc.  Another promo is kids 12 and under ride free.

Seats can be had for as little as $11 per seat under these promotions.

Even if you can catch a promotion and get the tickets for $11 each, that's $22 for the train plus a short Uber/Lyft ride on both ends - you're looking at $35-40 which just happens to be the approximate fare for door to door service in Uber or Lyft.  No shifting luggage, no waiting for trains, etc.  If you don't catch a promotion it's just throwing money out of the window to say you rode the train.

• Like 1

The Willkie Ferguson station of MetroMover is about two blocks from the Virgin / BrightLine Miami Central train station.  I'm not sure I'd want to wheel luggage that distance, and up the escalator. Repeat at the hotel end.

I like BrightLine, and I've taken it many times.  But, in this situation, it may not be the best alternative.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m on the Virgin/Brightline train traveling from Miami back to Fort Lauderdale after a cruise to catch our flight home.

It was only $11 per person and we thought we would give it a try since we had time to kill. Right now this train goes from Miami to Fort Lauderdale and West Palm - but they are building a boarding area in the new South terminal at MCO that will connect South Florida to Orlando.

The seats are leather, 2x2. Each seat has USB power, lots of legroom. An attendant sold drinks for $2 each and snacks for $3. But the “first class” passengers had that stuff included. Boarding lounge had a food hall, security, comfy seating - basically what you would expect from a Virgin brand. All for around $30. 

For reference, the Uber between the two cities for our family was going to be around $50 for an UberX or $75 for an Uber Comfort. 

uber from the port to the train station was $8 plus tip. We will get another Uber in Lauderdale to get to the hotel. 

8C798D90-1824-41A6-9EEC-46E368162F29.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

An MSC cruiser recently posted a quicky review of Brightline with lots of pictures.  See post #30 on

Thanks for sharing Capriccio!  That was a great, detailed review!  The Brightline/Virgin is a great asset to South Florida.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 9:28 AM, furloughedagain said:

I’m on the Virgin/Brightline train traveling from Miami back to Fort Lauderdale after a cruise to catch our flight home.

It was only $11 per person and we thought we would give it a try since we had time to kill. Right now this train goes from Miami to Fort Lauderdale and West Palm - but they are building a boarding area in the new South terminal at MCO that will connect South Florida to Orlando.

The seats are leather, 2x2. Each seat has USB power, lots of legroom. An attendant sold drinks for $2 each and snacks for $3. But the “first class” passengers had that stuff included. Boarding lounge had a food hall, security, comfy seating - basically what you would expect from a Virgin brand. All for around $30. 

For reference, the Uber between the two cities for our family was going to be around $50 for an UberX or $75 for an Uber Comfort. 

uber from the port to the train station was $8 plus tip. We will get another Uber in Lauderdale to get to the hotel. 

8C798D90-1824-41A6-9EEC-46E368162F29.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this -- my family is looking to try this in reverse (FLL to MIA precruise) for our trip.  Did you check any baggage and did it cost you anything?

No, we had 3 standard rollaboards. Plenty of space overhead for carry ons. There is also a luggage rack at the end of the car. We saw the checked luggage counter and asked if we needed to check our bags, but they said no.

buy tickets in advance. They’re more expensive if you buy them at the station.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, furloughedagain said:

No, we had 3 standard rollaboards. Plenty of space overhead for carry ons. There is also a luggage rack at the end of the car. We saw the checked luggage counter and asked if we needed to check our bags, but they said no.

buy tickets in advance. They’re more expensive if you buy them at the station.

Thanks so much.  Great info!