Baltic, Iceland, Norway and the U.K.on a cruise

Our next stop was on Loch Shin to hear about the "Wee Hoose"which is best explained in the video

IMG_7228%202_zpscg9kfoi0.jpg

When I saw the bird sitting on it I thought of it as a wee bird house .

IMG_7231%202_zpscx0b7zf4.jpg

There some wee flowers growing there

IMG_7241%202_zpsi8qy8lht.jpg

IMG_7235%202_zpsmyeezpyd.jpg

14 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We saw these Foxglove flowers in Chile also . Very pretty to look at but they produce the heart drug Digitalis .

DSC01224_zps4ns2apmc.jpg

Yes, very pretty but Foxglove is poisonous - can be deadly if ingested. If you make your own brew from the leaves or eat parts of the plant, you are, in essence, taking an unregulated dose of digoxin (type of digitalis) which can cause the heart rate to become irregular.

Years ago I had several poisonous plants growing in my garden - I was clueless until a relative with more botanical knowledge than I clued me in. I got rid of all the poisonous plants as I had puppies that liked to chew on plant leaves in the garden. Yikes!

Edited by dogs4fun

50 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, very pretty but Foxglove is poisonous - can be deadly if ingested. If you make your own brew from the leaves or eat parts of the plant, you are, in essence, taking an unregulated dose of digoxin (type of digitalis) which can cause the heart rate to become irregular.

Years ago I had several poisonous plants growing in my garden - I was clueless until a relative with more botanical knowledge than I clued me in. I got rid of all the poisonous plants as I had puppies that liked to chew on plant leaves in the garden. Yikes!

It seemed to be like a weed just growing in random places .

10 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

It seemed to be like a weed just growing in random places .

Yes, I have seen them in the wild. The foxglove that was in my garden was planted by me - a package of wildflower seeds. At the time, I was not aware that it was a poisonous plant.

Weird story - a few years ago a woman in my area (Castle Rock, CO) was sentenced to 4.5 years in prison for poisoning her husband's salad with foxglove. The poor husband was hospitalized after consuming a spaghetti dinner & a bitter tasting salad prepared by his "loving" wife. Nice, huh? 

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, I have seen them in the wild. The foxglove that was in my garden was planted by me - a package of wildflower seeds. At the time, I was not aware that it was a poisonous plant.

Weird story - a few years ago a woman in my area (Castle Rock, CO) was sentenced to 4.5 years in prison for poisoning her husband's salad with foxglove. The poor husband was hospitalized after consuming a spaghetti dinner & a bitter tasting salad prepared by his "loving" wife. Nice, huh? 

Yikes ! They should have a warning on the package Do not feed flowers to pets ( or husbands  ) .

Our next stop was on Loch Shin to hear about the "Wee Hoose"which is best explained in the video

IMG_7228%202_zpscg9kfoi0.jpg

When I saw the bird sitting on it I thought of it as a wee bird house .

IMG_7231%202_zpscx0b7zf4.jpg

There some wee flowers growing there

IMG_7241%202_zpsi8qy8lht.jpg

IMG_7235%202_zpsmyeezpyd.jpg

Dunrobin Castle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunrobin_Castle

IMG_0962%203_zpsaeco0m8k.jpg

IMG_0884%202_zps3wy3dm8d.jpg

There were a couple of buses here already and Matthew suggested that we go through the castle and down to the zoo

A huge tree

IMG_0896%203_zps92me4i60.jpg

It's also called the Museum

https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/golspie/dunrobincastlemuseum/index.html

IMG_0909%203_zpsvc3yufp8.jpg

IMG_0902%202_zps8qu2uma7.jpg

IMG_0898%202_zpszmjdrghr.jpg

There was a group of people seated in the garden to learn about and watch a demonstration of Falconry

http://www.dunrobincastle.co.uk/garden.html#falconry

After showing and teaching about the Falcon he unmasked the bird and sent it flying 

IMG_7276%202_zpsu07eozuf.jpg

IMG_7278%202_zpsewm44wam.jpg

In a dive the Peregrine Falcon is the fastest animal in the world attaining speeds of 240 mph !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peregrine_falcon

The bird circled overhead before diving on a target that the handler would swing around his head at the end of a rope . 

We left the castle before the large group and had an early lunch at the iconic UK staple . The fish and chips that we had in Iceland was a square piece of chopped fish like the Mc Donalds Filet O Fish . This was the real deal .

DSC08951%202_zpsqt4jff1c.jpg

We walked just across the parking lot to a beach with a picnic table

DSC08953%202_zpsqa4f8tl8.jpg

The company , beach and food were all excellent

DSC08955%202_zpsdhesybn3.jpg

Moving toward our next stop we encountered some wildlife on the way

IMG_7297%203_zps8tplaskg.jpg

IMG_7297%204_zpsdiydbay9.jpg

IMG_7302%202_zpssjuxlgix.jpg

Next up was Dornach Cathedral

Dornoch Cathedral is a parish church in the Church of Scotland, serving the small Sutherland town of Dornoch, in the Scottish Highlands. As a congregation of the Church of Scotland, which is Presbyterian, the church is not the seat of a bishop but retains the name due to being, historically, the seat of the Bishop of Caithness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornoch_Cathedral

Matthew wanted to show us the gargoyles there but when we got there  it seemed like the church was in use

IMG_0963%202_zpsit4ynygj.jpg

I felt a bit like a paparazzi lurking in the bushes - but this was good stuff Scotland the Brave on the pipes and a wedding !

IMG_0967%203_zps9p2ibvap.jpg

IMG_0968%203_zpsrwhp44es.jpg

IMG_0971%203_zpsmojfrsog.jpg

Strangely , we would run into this car later

IMG_0972_zpsx3s564y9.jpg

As a footnote , this church was where Elon Musk of Tesla and SpaceX fame was married in 2010 . Madonna was also married here .

When the wedding began we moved around to the side of the cathedral to have a look at the gargoyles

IMG_0974%202_zps9qdefwkc.jpg

Since they were back lit and I didn't bring my flash it's hard to see the detail

IMG_0975%202_zpscm2j6tfk.jpg

IMG_0977%202_zpshrgloxks.jpg

IMG_0984%203_zpsdf3pnjww.jpg

The Castle , now a hotel

IMG_0981%202_zpsmdnzuse4.jpg

The cathedral

IMG_0982%203_zpsiwvu0qh4.jpg

and the Charities Shop

IMG_0985%202_zpsiyx7wstz.jpg

A visit to Glenmorange

DSC08965%202_zpsq48spzwh.jpg

The meeting area

DSC08959%202_zpsm3r4aqhf.jpg

DSC08962%202_zpsobimuuy3.jpg

They claim to have the tallest stills in Scotland - as tall as a giraffe !

DSC08961%202_zpskhtv2vup.jpg

We we're not allowed to take photos inside . It was quite hot in the still room and it vented to the outside 

DSC08960%202_zpswbnsmbmj.jpg

Here's the herd of giraffes

1280px-Glenmorangie_Distillery_Stills_zp

The last photo came from wikipedia and was taken by Jack Shainsky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenmorangie_distillery

And the final product

glen_zpszqzp1kcb.png

The screen shot was taken from their web site

https://www.glenmorangie.com/en-us

The parting shot

DSC08963%202_zps08zuzicd.jpg

That's a 1962 Coupe deVille Cadillac . My dad had a 1961 Sedan de Ville colored pink that we used to call the Pink Panther .

After the tour we had a wee dram of  scotch and made a few purchases for medicinal reasons . As we were leaving the wedding party pulled up in their cars for some photos . As it turns out , the Father of the Bride is the Still Master there . That must have been some wedding party !

Edited by scubacruiserx2