Dressiness at Dinner for European Port Intensive Cruise?

I always change for dinner and dress up a little on my Caribbean cruises.  I will be taking a port intensive European cruise (on Jewel of the Seas) and am trying to pack light (or as light as possible).  Do most people dress up for dinner on Jewel or is okay to come to dinner in more casual clothes?  I know Norwegian has gotten very relaxed with respect to dinner attire - how about Royal?   Thank 

We did a B2B on Jewel in the Med just recently.  Although some people dressed up on formal nights I wouldn't say it was particularly dressy in general. We've given up on taking formal wear as always in a minority and so much extra to carry.

We haven't done Europe since 2017 but people tended to dress more in keeping with the suggested dress code.  The Caribbean is very casual.  From my observations, people on European cruises were more in "nicer" clothes for average dinners.  Didn't see a lot of jeans and no shorts and few to no t-shirts.  Not sure if it's still like that and it probably depends more on passenger makeup,  For us, since we changed for dinner every night anyway after spending a day on shore, it wasn't all that complicated to bring docker or better pants for me with a collared shirt.  I wore shorts or jeans on shore (weather depending of course) and then would change into nicer pants.  The shirts I wore for dining were either worn the next day as a shore shirt or re-hung and worn later in the cruise.  That way we packed less.  We did pack formal, but not sure I'd do so again.  Seemed more people dress in coat and tie in Europe.  I carry a sport coat on a cruise anyway so not much effort to throw a tie in.  

Again, haven't done one for a few years, so things may be totally different now.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 3

I have gotten to the point that when I have to fly to a port that because of number of bags and weight limits on luggage,  I no longer pack dressier clothes.  I dress nicely on "formal" nights, but I have most assuredly lost some of the sparkle I used to have.

Smart casual seems to be the normal Dre you see on Mediterranean cruises apart from formal night when the tuxedos may come out albeit not as many as there used to be or just a lounge suit, jacket and trousers maybe a tie.

Wear what you feel comfortable in it’s pretty relaxed nowadays.

4 hours ago, cruisin'sz said:

I always change for dinner and dress up a little on my Caribbean cruises.  I will be taking a port intensive European cruise (on Jewel of the Seas) and am trying to pack light (or as light as possible).  Do most people dress up for dinner on Jewel or is okay to come to dinner in more casual clothes?  I know Norwegian has gotten very relaxed with respect to dinner attire - how about Royal?   Thank 

Just stepped off Jewel last week and had also cruised on her in June too!

On formal nights at dinner 'formal' formal dress was very scarce and even on normal dining nights I saw men dressed in smart dress shorts as were the usual attire of 'slacks' or whatever people call them!

Personally I believe people should be able to dress as they please, but I have noticed that for everyone who gets scorned at for seemingly dressing down, when you take a good look, there's plenty wearing the same clothes night after night!

Another thing to note - I don't know what your itinerary is, but a lot of our ports had later departure times so that may also affect what you'll wear to dinner! 

Edited by ZiggaZagga17

We were on the 9/21 Explorer 14 day Med cruise out of Southampton.  Lots of tuxedos on the first formal night.  Less on the 2nd, and definitely less formal on the 3rd formal night.  Flying from the US we don’t take the formal clothes we used to.  

7 hours ago, cruisin'sz said:

It is a lot less formal than cruises out of Southampton in fact very casual.

My wife wears cocktail dresses every night and I wear trousers with a short sleeve shirt except for formal nights when I wear a tie with a long sleeved shirt, trousers and smart shoes.