Ladies; Do you ware the same evening dress (elegant night) for the cruise?

TT1992

15 minutes ago, TT1992 said:

Ladies; Do you ware the same evening dress (I'm talking for elegant night here) for the whole cruise?

Or do you have a different evening dress for each week?

Thanks

On Seabourn, it is called a Formal (optional) night. On other nights, the recommended dress is Elegant casual.  Some women do bring a different dress/gown for each Formal night.   Others (like me) like to dress appropriately, but bring black ensembles instead, dressing them up with jewelry and other accessories for formal night.  I do rotate my evening attire and probably wear the same outfit at least four or five times on a 21 day cruise.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fudgbug said:

We travel with a carry on even for long trips and wear the same thing for each formal night.

I have always been amazed at those of you who travel with just a carry on.  We marvel at this on the last night when everyone's bags are set out in the hall.  I do my best.  I am not one to bring a different choice for each night (especially on a three week itinerary). On the only 7 day cruise we took (16 years ago) I DID do that---and had SO much baggage.  It did not make me happy to have so many bags---so now I try to be more of a minimalist--but obviously not as minimalist as some.  I don't take my favorite black tie appropriate dresses as they would require so much care after arrival.  (I've learned that they do not travel well). Plus, there is the fact that they are more memorable and would be one night wears. I've grown practical in my older age.  I do still strive to be totally with the idea of formal--so I am always on the lookout (in between cruises) for the right items.  I have observed a few women who cruise all the time and noticed that they often wear black ensembles--which makes me think I am on the right track---for me at least.  I don't want anyone to think that I think the way I do it is the only way.  I am hardly a fashion maven--and admire women who are.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think anyone notices if you wear ensembles multiple times.  I know I never filed in my memory what anyone was wearing.  I did admire some lovely gowns (very few) but I don’t pack them for Seabourn.  I was happy and appropriate with a couple of knit dresses and nice trousers and silk shirts.....some fun jewelry and scarfs.  Wear what brings you joy!   

• Like 1

I fall into the camp of not repeating formal wear on my cruises. I rarely wear dresses at home as life in Arizona is pretty casual so I take advantage of the opportunity to dress up while on Seabourn. My past three cruises have been 36 nights and with pre and post cruise travel I have usually been away for 7-8 weeks at a time.  It would be very difficult to do this with just a carry on bag - even if I wanted to. I would say I usually bring 3-4 formal dresses and 10 or so less dressy ones. Along with casual clothes all of this fits in one 25 inch bag weighing less than 45 pounds and a small carry on bag.I don’t quite understand when people say formal wear is too heavy or too hard to pack. I simply put each dress in a plastic bag before packing and I’ve never had an issue with wrinkles - even when the dressy clothes have remained in the suitcase for over a week during pre cruise travel. As all have noted to each their own. 

DH brings one black suit.  I bring one dark “formal” outfit that fits in and is comfortable but makes no fashion statement.  We blend into the environment. No one notices or cares if we wear the same thing twice or thrice because there are so many other people like us blending into the environment. We have too many electronics and health related products to drag along with us that take up valuable space, so even if in business class with its 70lb per case limit we are loaded with other things as we still need to potentially be able to drag our own luggage if things go wrong.

SB does a good job ironing and touching up dress clothing so that is not a barrier if you want to bring finicky clothing.

But I love seeing the ladies ( usually younger than me)  in beautiful outfits, some so beautiful I wish they would wear them on a second night! It is like looking at works of art, part of the joy of traveling.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

SB does a good job ironing and touching up dress clothing so that is not a barrier if you want to bring finicky clothing.

But I love seeing the ladies ( usually younger than me)  in beautiful outfits, some so beautiful I wish they would wear them on a second night! It is like looking at works of art, part of the joy of traveling.

I totally agree with you Catlover.  It is such a delight to see beautiful gowns.  Perhaps one day I will pack my finicky dresses and trust the SB laundry to touch them up.  I'm beginning to think I am just lazy in my desire to just black for evening.  

If trousers (pants) suit you, why not black silk or velvet evening ones with various dressy tops?  It is mostly the top half seen, in the dining room anyway, and my tops are all lightweight and do not need ironing.  Some a bit 'bling',  others plain with an  unusual  necklace or scarf.  Much easier to pack.

• Like 1

The wonderful part of evening dress on small luxury lines is that you will feel comfortable whether your wearing silk pants and blouses or a lovely gown.  The formal dress code is there to act  as a guide so we all recognize that the evening is a bit special.  We ladies have great choices.  I have seen heavy sequined gowns, gowns that are just a mere slip of a dress, fancy trousers & gorgeous silk blouses,  lovely cocktail dresses, magnificent hats with sequined veils.  I think the trend seems to be less fussy, but the the entertainment troupe is always dressed to the nines on formal night.....so if putting on the ritz brings you joy, you will have plenty of company.  I just think it’s nice to put some effort into those formal nights....unless of course, you choose to avoid them altogether.  

• Thanks 1

What I'd take from the foregoing comments is that most ladies take a choice. What I'd take from my own cruising experience is that hardly anyone (if anyone at all) would actually notice if you repeated the same outfit and they would far less care. They are all too busy having a good time of their own, as they should be. Just do as you wish and as packing/carrying allows.

• Like 1