Last Minute Sun, Son joining military

Dawnya00

Hi there!

My 19 son has decided to join the Air Force at the end of this semester at school, basic training starts Feb 18. He turns 20 days before training starts. I want to take him on a short warm weather cruise and have settled on the 5 day Sun out of Port Canaveral leaving in about 8 weeks. My daughter will join us in Orlando and the three of us are spending a few days at WDW.

I really don't care what cabin we will be in, I would like something cheap since I am giving all my $$$ to a mouse. :classic_biggrin:

Currently that cruise is priced at $199pp for an inside, likely Sail Away. I am going to get a drink package and he is going to do the Young Adult beer and wine waiver.

My question to you all, do you think that the Sun will go any cheaper in these 4-6 weeks before sailing? We have plenty of cruises under our belt so dining reservations aren't a big deal. I need to sort out the excursions though as I NEED A BEACH. Minnesota is already a deep freeze.

I have already booked my flights as they were cheap. I can spend more, but I really don't want to.

Should I wait or just go in now?

Thanks!

Edited by Dawnya00
added notes

42 minutes ago, Dawnya00 said:

Hi there!

My 19 son has decided to join the Air Force at the end of this semester at school, basic training starts Feb 18. He turns 20 days before training starts. I want to take him on a short warm weather cruise and have settled on the 5 day Sun out of Port Canaveral leaving in about 8 weeks. My daughter will join us in Orlando and the three of us are spending a few days at WDW.

I really don't care what cabin we will be in, I would like something cheap since I am giving all my $$$ to a mouse. :classic_biggrin:

Currently that cruise is priced at $199pp for an inside, likely Sail Away. I am going to get a drink package and he is going to do the Young Adult beer and wine waiver.

My question to you all, do you think that the Sun will go any cheaper in these 4-6 weeks before sailing? We have plenty of cruises under our belt so dining reservations aren't a big deal. I need to sort out the excursions though as I NEED A BEACH. Minnesota is already a deep freeze.

I have already booked my flights as they were cheap. I can spend more, but I really don't want to.

Should I wait or just go in now?

Thanks!

That $199 price for an inside cabin sounds like a strong deal to me.  Considering the other expenses involved I'd  just book it before it's gone.

What I really wanted to say, though is thanks to your son for having the qualities and love of country to be one of the brave few who keep us free.  And thanks to you for raising such a son.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wolf 8 said:

That $199 price for an inside cabin sounds like a strong deal to me.  Considering the other expenses involved I'd  just book it before it's gone.

What I really wanted to say, though is thanks to your son for having the qualities and love of country to be one of the brave few who keep us free.  And thanks to you for raising such a son.

Ditto on the cruise, the sooner the better because the weather maybe warm to Minnesota standards but the seas do tend to get rough. Also, as a former Army Mom and wife welcome to the military family life. Thank your son for loving and protecting our country. Wait until he graduates from boot camp, you will be so proud.

• Like 1

Thanks to your son for the decision to serve the country in the Air Force.  Best wishes for his safety and success!

As for the sail away rate, double check that you’re not paying more if you have to pay for the drink package rather than getting a normal cabin and choose the drink package as a free perk.  I would calculate it both ways to make sure since those drink packages are crazy expensive if you have to pay separately for them.

Enjoy your cruise!  Btw, I’m on the Sun in 8 weeks too! - Jan 8!

Edited by caugh51654
  • Like 1

:classic_love:

You all have me bawling in front of my laptop. He is such a great kid and this was a decision that he thought long and hard about. His dad and I are both Army veterans and I was a career Army brat. We never pushed it on either of the kids to serve, but they both have found their own way to give back.

That said, planning this last minute vacation is a lovely distraction to my Mom Mind and Heart.

I think I should just book and be done. Then I can start to plan the ports and spend these next two months with my kid before we embark in this new life of a being military parents.

Thank you all so much. I know we all have seen folks come on these boards just to be miserable trolls but I have always had such great experiences with this helpful community.

• Like 2

I joined the USAF for a 4 year enlistment 56 years ago this next Feb.  Smartest thing I ever did.  I love my USAF and all that it gave me!   People thank me, and I appreciate that...but it is I who thanks the USAF!  As you know, having done it yourself, your arrival at boot camp can give you some very sudden thoughts about "what the hell have I gone and done!"   But tell him thank you and congratulations.   

• Like 2

You can get the non-sailaway inside cabin starting at $249+taxes/fees, only $50 more than the Sailaway rate.  Add in the drink package gratuities of about $20/day ($100 total) and it's only $150pp more and you get the drink package.  Much cheaper than buying the drink package outright for $99/day +20% gratuities (nearly $600 for 5 night cruise).

I'm not sure how the beer/wine package is priced, but it's a huge savings for you to take the non-sailaway rate.

Edited by Mike_DeA
  • Like 1

You probably already know this, but make sure you are not booking the sail away rate (cheapest rate) if you are interested in the beverage package.   The cost of the package is usually a LOT more than the cost of picking a category that includes it for free.

As for booking, as others have mentioned, go ahead and book an inside now.  Worst thing that will happen is that prices will drop and you can call in for an upgrade to a ocean view or balcony for no cost or not much more than you paid for the inside.

Cherish your time with you son now...my son is in Marine boot camp and I miss him so much.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FitchburgWIFamily said:

You probably already know this, but make sure you are not booking the sail away rate (cheapest rate) if you are interested in the beverage package.   The cost of the package is usually a LOT more than the cost of picking a category that includes it for free.

As for booking, as others have mentioned, go ahead and book an inside now.  Worst thing that will happen is that prices will drop and you can call in for an upgrade to a ocean view or balcony for no cost or not much more than you paid for the inside.

Cherish your time with you son now...my son is in Marine boot camp and I miss him so much.

Bless your family. I will book the inside, not the sail away, I never thought to upgrade if the price drops. Good idea.