Maui Rental Car Info from 2019?

sunshine340

Does anyone have any RECENT info about renting a car while in Maui?  I've seen some posts from several years back.  So far I've read rental company lines are horrible, so get the "fast pass" for whichever company you choose.  I've read the Maui Hotel offers Hertz rentals - at least a 15 minute walk.  Is that a safe walk?  Does anyone have any advice on which company to use?  I know Alamo does not run a shuttle service from ship to OGG any longer.  In fact, I think the only companies providing shuttles are Thrifty, Dollar, Budget and Avis.  Any wisdom or advice you may have will be greatly appreciated!!

We just rented last week.  We used Avis.  They have a shuttle.  We parked for $15 at the airport.  Most people on FB rent from Enterprise and park overnight for $10 at the Maui Beach Hotel.  This wasn't possible for us with seniors, nor would I park at the hotel and make that walk at night, but many do and say it's fine.

I'm doing a trip report on the Norwegian board.

Edited by Beachiekeen
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sunshine340 said:

I've read the Maui Hotel offers Hertz rentals - at least a 15 minute walk.  Is that a safe walk? 

There are two "hotels" (for lack of a more accurate term) right next to each other in Kahului - the Maui Beach Hotel and the Maui Seaside Hotel.  The Maui Beach Hotel is the one that has the Hertz agency in it. 

The walk from the Maui Beach Hotel to the pedestrian entrance to the pier can indeed be unsafe after dark, as there is a homeless population that seems to frequent the area and surroundings.  What may be safe one night  may not be safe the next night depending upon who is walking around/sleeping there at the time.  

• Thanks 1

Our ship will be arriving in Lahaina in April 2020 and we want to rent a car for the day.  However, it looks like the information in this thread may be for those coming into Kahului.  Does anyone know if any of the Lahaina car rental places provide shuttle from the port?  When I google the question, I see conflicting information so trying to find the straight scoop! Thanks.

15 minutes ago, rogueriver said:

Our ship will be arriving in Lahaina in April 2020 and we want to rent a car for the day.  However, it looks like the information in this thread may be for those coming into Kahului.  Does anyone know if any of the Lahaina car rental places provide shuttle from the port?  When I google the question, I see conflicting information so trying to find the straight scoop! Thanks.

There are other threads discussing this. There have not been any confirmed reports of the Lahaina side car rental places shuttling people.

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are other threads discussing this. There have not been any confirmed reports of the Lahaina side car rental places shuttling people.

Thanks for the response, CruiserBruce.  I've checked a few of the other threads and agree that nothing seems to confirm that shuttles are available.  Guess we'll just plan to Uber to the rental place.  Thanks!

On 11/15/2019 at 4:37 PM, WillCruiseForMoney said:

For Maui only AVIS/Budget runs a shuttle.

In walking distance is Enterprise and Hertz.  Enterprise is about a 15 minute walk, Hertz a bit longer.  They are not near each other.  The walk to Enterprise is safe (as long as you use the crosswalks).   Have not personally walked to Hertz.

Payless is also included.    1 shuttle for all 3.