Food on MSC

travelsmileandlearn

8 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

our kiddo gets 5 unexcused absences before a social worker shows up at your door step. Our school district is very strict. I don't want to risk it...

We did it last year, though: we were on a cruise on Thanksgiving which broke down on day 3 - NCL Jade, so we had to go home and then retake the cruise a month later, and the only cruise I could afford at that time was BEFORE the Christmas break. DS missed 4 days of school, and I felt very bad about it, but at least it wasn't 5 and we weren't red flagged. So, I don't do it unless I absolutely can't help it.

DH and I can take off any time, but the kiddo can't.

Oh okay.  Yes you don't want them to be out too long.  I don't have kids, but work with them.  I was thinking if it didn't happen that much that it might be okay to have a child or two out for maybe 4-5 days once a year.  Just trying to help.  I know the prices get so high for cruises when it's a break from school!  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, April42749 said:

A true gourmet wouldn't be happy.  A gourmand would do just fine.

The thing is just that you need to know what you want. If you are not familiar with the MSC dishes there will be a lot of hit and miss on your first cruises. Apart from pizza and pasta where MSC has the reputation of being number 1 for a good reason. Risotto maybe also but I don´t eat. 

There are many dishes on the menu for years, even I totally hate. For example the suckling pig with myrtle, inedible for me, totally inedible. But for some reasons I don´t know for some people this is a favourite MSC dish, so it will never disappear. 

Also there are quite a lot of dishes that sound nothing special at all when you read the menu, but they are outstanding. Maybe not Gourmet, but a source of happiness. 

On 12/6/2019 at 10:09 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I do love pasta, and DS loves pizza. I think we'll be just fine. Do they have gnocchi? DH loves gnocchi.

They did serve gnocchi in the YC one evening. I prefer my pasta less cooked, so I wasn't a huge fan of the pasta on MSC. Every pasta dish I had seemed to be overdone/mushy, but I think that's just a function of trying to serve 5,000 people. The pizza was excellent though, and very fresh! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

They did serve gnocchi in the YC one evening. I prefer my pasta less cooked, so I wasn't a huge fan of the pasta on MSC. Every pasta dish I had seemed to be overdone/mushy, but I think that's just a function of trying to serve 5,000 people. The pizza was excellent though, and very fresh! 

Regal Princess serves 3,500 people, while Mera serves 4,500 people, yet food on Regal Princess is great. Especially, their Fettuccine Alfredo.