MONKEY/SLOTH "ZOOS COMPARISON - We've visited all 3!

#1TravelMom

On 7/29/2021 at 11:24 AM, BrotherCraig said:

All three of them allow you to hold them and get pictures.  We prefer Bodden's Monkey Business because it is on the way to our favorite beach in the Caribbean - West Bay Beach.   Yes, you can book tours independently.  We always do.  My top three suggestions - Rony Tours, Justin Roatan, and Bodden.  Private tours are the way to go there.

We will be a family of 8 with a 6 and 8 yr old.    What’s the best way to see the sloths and monkeys and then a good beach with great swimming - would like a good deal on transportation.  

I booked Infinity Bay and added the sloths tour via  Discover Roatans website for the best price (there's also a coupon if you look closely at the webpage). It includes transportation, they also have an AI package. You can search their page for other resorts with similar packages and do the sloth add on if they have it.

50 minutes ago, Shekim said:

Does anyone know how long after reserving does it take to get notification from Manawakie Park? Yes, I sent money via Paypal...

I have received notification from them so disregard! Thanks all and happy cruising!

• 1 month later...

We just booked the Daniel Johnson Monkey & Sloth Hangout tour for our upcoming cruise. At this point we're planning on just using their transportation. However, reading through this thread, it looks like many people recommend booking alternate means of getting to the facility. Is there something I'm missing? Is it unreliable? Unsafe? What?

All we're doing is visiting the Hangout & then heading back to the port. We don't want a tour of the island or to visit any other facility. Let me know if I should be looking for alternate means of getting to Daniel Johnson's.

Any thoughts on the suspension bridges? 

What about walking trails through the jungle/ botanical gardens? My mother in law would love to see animals in the wild like monkeys and birds. Might have part of our group snorkel for an extended time time while the test walks and takes photos. Still not 100% sure...

• 2 months later...
On 11/22/2021 at 7:21 PM, Nike4000 said:

We just booked the Daniel Johnson Monkey & Sloth Hangout tour for our upcoming cruise. At this point we're planning on just using their transportation. However, reading through this thread, it looks like many people recommend booking alternate means of getting to the facility. Is there something I'm missing? Is it unreliable? Unsafe? What?

All we're doing is visiting the Hangout & then heading back to the port. We don't want a tour of the island or to visit any other facility. Let me know if I should be looking for alternate means of getting to Daniel Johnson's.

We did this in August.  Used their transport and then back to the ship. No problems at all. Very nice people and great place. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 8:41 AM, #1TravelMom said:

We recently returned from Roatan.  We visited Manawakie this time.  Since we have visited all three "Monkey/Sloth Parks", I thought I'd write a brief comparison.  

First, do not expect any of these to be a "Zoo" as we think of it.  They are all small, independently owned places with relatively few animals.  The main difference, and best reason to visit, is the rare opportunity to interact with and hold the animals.  We live near the Pittsburgh Zoo.  They offer a "Sloth Encounter".  You are not even guaranteed to be able to hold a sloth, but will be able to touch one.  WHAT - $150?!?!

One of the deciding factors would be - where else are you going?

DANIEL JOHNSON'S MONKEY AND SLOTH HANGOUT

If you are planning on Pirates of the Caribbean Zipline or spending the day at Little French Key, Daniel's will be the closest.

From Coxen Hole, Daniel's is about 25-30 minutes.  Pirates Zipline is 25-30 minutes, then just 5 minutes+/- to Little French Key.  Or, direct from Coxen Hole, Little French Key is 25-30 minutes.

Daniel's - Main attraction - Sloths and monkeys.  We have visited 3 or 4 times and have always been able to have plenty of time holding a sloth, interacting with the monkeys and holding large birds.  They have had several other small animals in cages just to view.  Daniel also offers a mangrove tour and snorkeling, but we have not tried them yet.  I would say 30 minutes is plenty of time for this stop.  Mobility:  Level, dirt/mud(depending on the rain).  Small, so those who can only walk short distances would be fine.

MANAWAKIE PARK

If you are planning on South Shore Canopy Zipline and/or spending the day at West Bay, Manawakie would work.  It is 15-20 minutes from Coxen Hole.  Then, to reach South Shore/West Bay, you would backtrack towards Coxen Hole and continue to West Bay, approximately 30 minutes total from Manawakie.

Manawakie - Monkeys and sloths.  This is the newest "zoo".  They have rabbits,, agouti, and hummingbirds, as well as a few other animals.  I anticipate they will add additional animals as revenue increases.  This is by far the most "educational".  If you aren't planning on going to any other sights, this is a good choice.  You would probably spend 1 hour here.  They will speed up in case you are not interested in something, if you ask politely.  You will learn about the plants, foods, medicines, culture, and animals.  The guides are very good and keep it interesting, letting you touch and smell things as you go.  My family generally doesn't want to learn while on vacation, but we really liked this place.  Mobility:  Some gravel, Dirt/mud(depending on the rain)  Small inclines and steps.  This is not a good location for anyone who has severe mobility issues. Steps are sturdy and well built.  The entire area is small, so if you can climb 6-10 steps, you will be fine.  I consider this the best sight if you want to visit animals and learn something about the port you are visiting.

VICTOR'S MONKEY BUSINESS

If you are planning on South Shore Canopy Zipline and/or spending the day at West Bay, Victor's would be the closest.  It is about 15 minutes from Coxen Hole.  Then, to reach South Shore/West Bay, you would continue South 15 minutes +/-.

Victor's.  Main attractions are the Monkeys and Sloths.  They have large birds, deer and a few other animals.  This "zoo" is the most crowded.  We have been her many times.  While we like it, we definitely can tell we are being gently hurried along.  Your time holding the sloths and interacting with monkeys can be very brief if there is a crowd waiting.  On port days, it can be quite busy.  I don't want to discourage a visit here, but just know that you may be asked keep moving.  I like to get lots of photos of my family with the animals, so this sight is not the best.  The monkeys are very unpredictable, so it may or may not be easy to get good pics.   Mobility:  Level, some gravel, Dirt/mus(depending on the rain).  This is not a large "zoo", so if you can walk short distances, you should be fine here.  

We like all of the parks for different reasons.  I think you get the most for your money at Manawakie.  If I just want some quick photos, Victor's is close.  If we are going to Little French Key for the day, Daniel's is super convenient.  Also, we may try the mangrove canoe tour next time.

You will have a guide at all of the above.  Please tip them generously.  They are working for tips and rely on them.  Our guide at Manawakie was a public school teacher who takes the bus here to earn extra income as teaching doesn't pay well.     

Just a side note,  the snorkeling and beaches here are absolutely fabulous.  Make the most of your day and make time for the beach.  So sad when I hear people say that they are not leaving the port area.

I highly recommend Rony's Tours.  He has been our guide for 10+ trips and has become a friend.  His vehicles are nice with a/c.  He can accommodate 2 people or large groups.  He has friendly drivers that work with him.  He has a great option for a private tour.  Just $25 per person for a driver for your group for the entire day.  Then, pay as you go for the sights you'd like to see.   He also has other tours if you don't mind joining a group.  We have always felt safe and have many wonderful memories of Roatan.  I'm sure you will have a great day with Rony!

This review is spot on for both Manawakie and Rony.  Loved that Manawakie had a nice educational element.  Did not feel rushed one bit with the crazy Monkeys or Sloths where people want to interact with the most.  Rony is so nice and easy to work with him or his team, also recommend the private custom tour, just tell him your likes and dislikes and he will recommend a great day.  Getting readu to go back in March, will be using Rony again, going back to Manawakie and doing somne disc golf.

• Like 1

Hi there,

We are cruising with RCCL, we are restricted to ship's shore excursion due to unvaccinated 4 year old and would love to do a sloth encounter with beach but they do not seem to have this combo. Are we better off just doing a beach day and sorting a tour from there?

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, kcroxyoursox said:

Bumping this up. Anyone been to any of these recently that would or would not recommend? Thinking of booking with Rony - will he know which is best to go to or should we tell him which one we want?

I left it up to Arnold, Rony’s.  

I posted this review on trip advisor yesterday.  We were there 12/31/22

Arnold’s Private Sightseeing Tour

Reviewed yesterday 

Our favorite part of the tour was Arnold. My grandchildren wanted to take him home. Arnold showed us a fabulous day. Our second favorite highlight was Manawakie Park. I had told Arnold that the most important thing to my grandchildren, ages 20, 20, and 13 was visiting with animals. We were all able to hold monkeys , sloths, and a parrot. Arnold made their dream come true as our main goal was achieved. We then visited Mayak Chocolate Factory and then ended our day with snokwling at West Bay beach (Bananarama)
The snorkeling was fantastic there. I highly recommend Rony’s Tours and Arnold.

Date of experience: December 2022
I had told Arnold that our number 1 point of interest was the animals.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

I left it up to Arnold, Rony’s.  

I posted this review on trip advisor yesterday.  We were there 12/31/22

Arnold’s Private Sightseeing Tour

Reviewed yesterday 

Our favorite part of the tour was Arnold. My grandchildren wanted to take him home. Arnold showed us a fabulous day. Our second favorite highlight was Manawakie Park. I had told Arnold that the most important thing to my grandchildren, ages 20, 20, and 13 was visiting with animals. We were all able to hold monkeys , sloths, and a parrot. Arnold made their dream come true as our main goal was achieved. We then visited Mayak Chocolate Factory and then ended our day with snokwling at West Bay beach (Bananarama)
The snorkeling was fantastic there. I highly recommend Rony’s Tours and Arnold.

Date of experience: December 2022
I had told Arnold that our number 1 point of interest was the animals.

Thank you SO much for this! Manawakie was where I was leaning too, but then realized I was basing that on an almost 4 year old review. Glad to hear it's still a wonderful experience and can't wait to bring my kiddo there too.

This a great review.. Thanks so much.   Many of us struggle to determine the difference.  Quick question. 

Do any of these locations have feeding stations for the monkey/sloths?  I ask because I have a peanut allergy (please no negative comments about the allergy) and I know peanuts are a common treat for monkeys.  I want to make sure before I show up.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 7:41 AM, #1TravelMom said:

I highly recommend Rony's Tours.  He has been our guide for 10+ trips and has become a friend.  His vehicles are nice with a/c.  He can accommodate 2 people or large groups.  He has friendly drivers that work with him.  He has a great option for a private tour.  Just $25 per person for a driver for your group for the entire day.  Then, pay as you go for the sights you'd like to see.   He also has other tours if you don't mind joining a group.  We have always felt safe and have many wonderful memories of Roatan.  I'm sure you will have a great day with Rony!

Thank you for a great review. I am hoping the other 6 travel companions will agree on our February cruise. If not, I know what husband and I are doing. 

On 1/10/2023 at 7:10 PM, poocher said:

How about Getaway Tours?  Any reviews of their sloths & snorkeling excursion?

We used Roatan Getaway Tours and loved them (I'm also having deja vu - did I answer this for you somewhere else?). They were responsive, easy to find/on time and friendly. We did the tour you can find on Viator. The snorkeling is for beginners so may be a little boring for those more experienced. They go to AJ's for the animal experience and then do the snorkeling near the French Key areas, south on the island. The water is WARM and clear and they have fantastic snorkeling gear. But very shallow and not many fish at that location, mostly spiny lobsters and conch - animals, not just shells. 

We loved our experience so much with them that we booked again for our upcoming cruise, but direct with them this time. (I liked having the protections of Viator for the first time, but now I trust the company). We're doing an all day tour with them in April with a three reef snorkel, AJs again, the zipline and the chocolate factory. $120pp including all admission fees (zipline & AJs). 

• Thanks 1

We ended up going to Manawakie on our cruise this week.  It was busy with visitors.  We had a tour from an employee and everyone who wanted to hold a sloth was able to.  We also got a great amount of time with the monkeys.  They were awesome.  Jumping and sitting and crawling all over you.  I got tons of video and photos.  Very happy we went.  I know some get freaked out because some monkeys will bite but these Capuchin monkeys were sweet.  

We were told Gumbalimba does not have sloths.

We got to Manawakie using Rony’s Tours. Thanks to the recommendation on here.  Excellent guide.  Showed us everything about Roatán we wanted to see.  Money well spent.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:38 PM, BirmanCrazy said:

I'm taking my 82 year old mom with us so I chose to do a Royal Caribbean Shore Excursion--Easy Monkey Sloth Excursion.  Do you know which place the cruise line goes to?  Thanks!

If the easy goes to the same place as the accessible option, it may be Daniel Johnsons. I read a trip report by someone on here who did the accessible one and mentioned that was where they went. 

On 1/26/2023 at 4:38 PM, BirmanCrazy said:

I'm taking my 82 year old mom with us so I chose to do a Royal Caribbean Shore Excursion--Easy Monkey Sloth Excursion.  Do you know which place the cruise line goes to?  Thanks!

There is a review on Royal Caribbean blog from March 2022 and appeared to go to AJ’s then.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...