Hilo, Hawaii Excursion: Volcanoes vs Rainbow Falls

Clutj

Been to both. Rainbow Falls is one of the stops on the Hop-On, Hop-Off in Hilo, (http://www.hop-onhop-offhilobus.com/Trolley-Tour.html) which was a bargain and we will use them again.

The volcano is a full day and included walking through a lava tube. One of our party slipped and received a very nasty gash since lava is very jagged and sharp.

Given the choice and the price I’d take the Ho-Ho since you may go at your own pace, see some interesting and scenic things and the pass is good for all day.  

I haven't taken the O excursions, but have spent a lot of time on the Big Island. 

There's a lot more to see and do in Volcanoes than Rainbow Falls. Rainbow Falls is beautiful, but it's not worth a tour in and of itself. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alfagee said:

I haven't taken the O excursions, but have spent a lot of time on the Big Island. 

There's a lot more to see and do in Volcanoes than Rainbow Falls. Rainbow Falls is beautiful, but it's not worth a tour in and of itself. 

+1

For my money, The Big Island is the most beautiful of the Hawaiian islands (and I've been to all the major ones). It's so geographically diverse--you can go from rainforest to volcano to desert in a day!

I love it so much, I got married on the beach there.

We rented a car (free shuttle from port to airport to get it) and drove to Volcano Nat'l Park.  Ran into the ship tour, but got the impression we had more freedom and more time being on our own.  We saw no ship tours make it to the Holei Sea Arch, which was stunning.  It's an enjoyable drive down to the ocean.  The steam vents and the main caldera were also impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking as a former resident and NPS Park Ranger.. fron the volcanoes..  The Volcanoes NP  is by far the best and #1 site to visit on the entire island.    Skip the tour... the tours in buses to the park are a sad experience with some local jokster who makes up stuff as he n needs it    Rather  rent a car  right off the dock....and drive to the park  It is a very easy direct hiway to Volcano  ( good eats. at Lava Cafe or Kiluea lodge....but not in park)     Start at Visitors center   attend the free Ranger talks ( it is what the bus guys send yo too !,,not them)    See the films and ask whats doing that day... Let the Rangers at the Visitor center lay out free a suggested itinerary....   Hit the Observatory USGS.... Chain of craters road, ( the bus will not go there) Thurston lava tube.

In short you can see 200% more than any tour....   Hilo is not  that great a place... get out of town    If you want to eat local... I mean real-deal local.   Kens Pancake house......  Get a Loco Moco !!!   Its the island favorite.... its not just a "pancake joint"  Of Cafe 100 in town